Ability to fine-tune colour settings

The picture you use for us to look at is not sufficient. Its muted colours does not allow for us to know how it affects blacks or colours. When I adjust it, then go to watch something, which usually is more colourful or has more blacks, the picture looks worse.

It would be nice to be able to click on the menu button within what we’re viewing to adjust the picture for the source we are looking at or watching.

1 Like

Yes you’re right, and I would have wanted to include comprehensive colour management. The problem with a curve-based gamma is that the hardware we are using needs these curves to be burnt into the chip. It’s not possible (or at least not possible conveniently) to modify the hardware LUTs.

Nevertheless, we were able to perform average calibration for RGB gains via led supply current (through software). This improves the situation a lot. I’m also investigating built in color calibration features of the DMD itself, whether this could be tuned by software or not.

The new colour adjustment app includes 15-20 much better images (many of them are what we use internally). It includes images to check near-white, near-black, red green blue channels, clarity, full dynamic range etc etc. Also included are common test patterns.

This app will be available to beta testers shortly, and to everyone else in the next SW update.

Also the systems team is checking what options we have to show the UI on top of whatever is being displayed. (Though since external inputs are bypassing the android layer, the UI will only overlay on top of internally playing content).

1 Like

This is making me want to be a beta tester. Looking forward to the new colour adjustment app!.

Hey @Philips_Support_P, I understand there’s been a delay in the release of the next update due to the situation in China but would you have an idea as to when you might be thinking of releasing it?

Yes in 10 days or so, assuming our china team can come online this week.

They’re preparing an internal SW update from home now, but since it’s a service update without new features we might only release it to beta list first.

The color adjustment app will be released to beta list probably today.

@Philips_Support_P Do we have “looks” feature still planned in some upcoming release since adaptive temperature control is in place now?

1 Like

Yes, of course.

2 Likes

Is it possible to add a Full HD test pattern to the Wallpapers.

With a test pattern it’s easier to accurately adjust the brightness, contrast, color and sharpness.
Now you cannot accurately adjust the “color adjustment” with the available wallpapers.

In the current situation to adjust the picture settings for different kind of light conditions,
I rename a test pattern to “a_bg.png” and adjust the picture settings.
The problem is that everytime I restart the projector, it gets replaced with the original wallpaper.

Situation now:
Select "color adjustment"

If I can choose a test pattern as wallpaper.

2 Likes

We already have such an app, it’s just not publicly available yet.

@IvoGrijt What’s the best optimal colour settings (brightness, sharpness, contrast, saturation) to project on the gray colored wall? Thanks.

Hi Prashant., Will the "UI-on-top-of whatever is being displayed " feature be made available ??

this will be useful to change color settings while on a movie for example…

thanks in advance

2 Likes

image image image image image image image image

4 Likes

This little piece of technological marvel keeps blowing me away.

2 Likes

That would be nice if we could adjust the projector LED light brightness (currently only 3 modes, energy saver, normal, presentation).
When in totaly black room it can be too much bright.
Please, either add new energy saver modes or let user select the LED light brightness.

Also, in energy saver mode, when power is plugged in or not, the level of brightness changes / is overridden (and fan also spinning at different speed) : ( . If I select, energy saver to have a darker image and a silent device, it should keep that state even if I plug power in.

1 Like

I like the idea of a full HD test pattern image in the Color Adjustment screen.

Can Philips please make this available?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Hello @williammuk it is only available to beta testers. Please join the beta testers list to get access to it.

2 Likes

Hi @RobertoTC, while we won’t be able to display a UI on top of whatever’s playing on the projector itself, we are working on perhaps a better solution. We are making an app that will let you configure the picture settings from your phone, while you watch anything on the projector. So the “on screen display” will be in your phone instead. But this is in very early phase and we don’t yet have an ETA.

4 Likes

Hello @Philips_Support_P, could you kindly enlighten me why such an important tool is ONLY available to beta testers? Image quality is fundamental for any display device. Useful tools that can help users to achieve better image quality (based on each individual’s own preference) should be made available to all. Please help me understand why general users should not be allowed to have this important tool.

Thanks.

1 Like

many thanks for your response!!!