Auto focus inconsistent

Hi @Philips_Support_P can you please confirm if you have submitted the focusing bug to the team and if it can be adjusted in an update? Thank you

Hello, we should be able to send you the shipping documents this week.

Thank you so much. It saddens me that I have to return this ppm unit. I have been without ppm enjoyment for the past week. I felt empty… Hahaha. Hope we can get this done soonest so that I can enjoy ppm again. It’s addictive!

Ps: please do check QC carefully ya… :pray::pray::pray:

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

I wish you well. I would like to revisit my idea here :

Could we have a visual range of the auto-focus displayed on the screen so that when we reached one end of the range, we will not continue pressing towards that end. It will be great if it’s possible in firmware update. Because no point to keep going one direction when the hardware end range already reached. Thanks!

Hi, do you mean send the shipping documents to me? I am not returning my projector, I found the focus bug with additional steps after the projector focuses itself. I was told this can be adjusted in a software update and I was wondering if it has been submitted to the engineering team to adjust the software?

Hey @ronaldtai, so just for fun, I did try manually move the focus towards one end of the physical range to get the smallest projected image possible in this post. Before you click on the link, make a guess how many inches is the smallest image. :joy: I hope the experiment didn’t do any permanent damage to the focusing mechanism. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello, not sure it will be much SW improvement made on that. We recommend to use a manual fine tuning to get the expected picture.

1 Like

hi, my projector sometimes has a problem to focus automaticly after i hit the focus button by accident while it was focused before.

i have to manuall adjust the autofocus after that or it does not focus, even after pressing autofocus button again.

is there something i can do? us that to be expected behavior algorithm wise?

Hi @Chris_von_Mythos what happens if you hit the autofocus button twice or thrice, does it then focus automatically to how it was before you accidentally hit the button?

@Philips_Support_P
no, it stays off focus until fix it manually.
if i then reboot (after fix) or refocus onto another distance its working normally again.
if i reboot without manually adjusting it stays offfocus.

and its not happening everytime more like 1 out of 3 times.

Hi @Philips_Support_T, thank you so much for arranging DHL. They came and taken the unit already today.

Hello @Philips_Support_T @IvoGrijt Mate i have filled the google docs form. but did not hear anything regarding the replacement / pickup after that. any update?

Hi mate, when did you fill in the form? It will take a while but I think it’s all due process. @Philips_Support_T said within this week for mine and it came as promised.

Hey Mate, i filled it on 14th May. Yeah saw ur one came thats why i asked it to them again. Let us know when u get ur new one

@Philips_Support_P what Chris is mentioning is exactly the same thing that happens to me.

Any clue about it?

Hello, sorry for the delay, we’ll do our utmost to send you the shipping labels to arrange the pickup this week.

Hi @Chris_von_Mythos and @Pablo_Perla the autofocus improvement has been on our task list for quite some time. Currently we are classifying complete inability to focus as a hardware defect and covering it under warranty. Occasionally inaccurate focus which requires manual fine-tuning is current state-of-the-art and expected to happen sometimes. Since it depends a lot on your environment, we are working to improve the responsiveness, but not classifying it as a manufacturing defect. For instance, all our sample units (including my personal PicoPix Max) has no focus issue whatsoever. Furthermore, autofocus and manual focus tests are part of our standard QC for all units.

Given all this info, I would advice you to be patient until we improve the autofocus further, and in the meantime, to be aware of the expected performance. We designed autofocus to be a quick hands-off approach to fiddly focus wheels and manual adjustments, which would work in 95% of all cases.

1 Like

I understand but it is happening quite frequently, it is particularly problematic with the HDMI output as you do not see the focus circle when you press the button.

Got the mail … thanks. They are picking up on Monday.

Budget? This is an almost $1400 CAD projector…