Auto focus inconsistent

Hello, we plan to arrange the next shipment from HK on June 19th, so your replacement product should be delivered within 2-3 weeks after.

3 Likes

Thanks you brother for the prompt reply. One more thing how do we confirm the address for replacement product? I don’t live at initial backer kit address
Thanks

1 Like

It seems to me that the autofocus function of the projector does a descent but not perfect job. Perhaps it could be improved? I have tried to understand how it works currently, and this is my assumption: The projector tries a number of different focus settings, and at each setting, it measure the contrast of the test-pattern. Higher contrast equals better focus. But it does this in discrete steps, not continually. Would it be possible to continue doing what it is already doing, but then to try smaller steps just around that setting (in a second phase) to get the focus just right (so that we don’t have to do the manual adjustment to get it just right)?

There is already a couple of threads about this, have you seen them?

Well I searched for “autofocus” and there are indeed a lot of topics mentioning it, but none of the ones I found speculated in how the autofocus function works, and how it could possibly be improved, which is what my post is about.

I complained about the auto-focus a couple months ago. Since I have been working from home and my projector was at my office, I had not checked it lately. This morning I turned it on showing the screen on the wall. The PPM is less that 1m from the wall and the auto-focus worked perfectly. Not sure if a recent firmware update corrected the auto-focus problem.

1 Like

I run the latest firmware as of today, but the autofocus is less than perfect in my unit.

I wonder if the auto-focus working on my PPM is because it is so close to the wall?

1 Like

Hi Ivo, thanks for your reply and please excuse my delay.
Unfortunately it does not work.

When I plug a video with HDMI (laptop or the Sky decoder or the Xbox) the manual focus does not work. I can’t even hear the bzzz sounds from the inside (like it perfectly happens when I’m in the internal video mode).

The central remote control button works (and he tries to autofocus the image) but left and right arrows don’t. With the Xbox or the Laptop I don’t mind too much as the autofocus works great.

With Sky, it does not and menus or movies are really blurry. I can’t manual fix it.

I tried with both autofocus in the menu on and off.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Perhaps @Philips_Support_P can tell us if this is fixable or not.

Thanks man. It must be, otherwise we would have a projector with HMDI input that can’t be focused manually! :frowning:

1 Like

I might have the same issue. Just used the HDMI input once so far (with Microsoft Wireless Display for casting from my PC) and I had the feeling that focus was just a little bit off. Autofocus did work in the sense of adjusting something, but focus was still a bit off, and as @tangeletti described, the left-right buttons didn’t seem to allow me to fine tune (I think they work fine on regular Android, although I never actually had to use them there as I’m normally fine with the auto-focus performance there).

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_T and @IvoGrijt,

Today marks the 16th day (17th if counting day of sent) since tracking number was sent to me. Are replacement units separately sent apart from batch shipments? Please advise. Thanks

1 Like

They were supposed to, but might also be suffering from the same delays we’ve seen in handling of all the first time shipments also.

I’ll check this for you a little later on and get back to you.

Thank you so much ivoG!

I try not to post too many times of the same issue. I know you guys are working tirelessly handling so many of us.

1 Like

Hi IvoG,…just to update you that tracking information finally came through. It’s still in hk pending shipment out. Good start. I hope Philips notified DHL that this is replacement unit so not import taxable.

Thanks

1 Like

We’ve notified the forwarder, yes. But I have seen cases where they still did not label the shipment correctly, so I’ll check with them

@Philips_Support_P, @IvoG
Dear all, I was wondering if there is an update about this issue.
I can’t believe this projector does not have a manual focus control when HDMI input is in use.

As I said with Xbox or Laptop the automatic focus works fine, but with Sky it’s all blurry. And I can’t engage the manual mode!

Thank you

So you’re saying you can focus while using the XBOX and laptop, but not with the Sky box? When all three use HDMI?

Also, why would you need to refocus when using the Sky box, can’t you focus in the OS then switch to HDMI?

Hi @tangeletti the project lets you focus manually — please press the Auto-focus key, then after it has run through, use the left/right buttons on the remote to manually fine-tune it.

When using HDMI or USB-C video, the pattern will not come up, but you can still wait for the focus motion to complete and then fine-tune it. Or better, press HOME, focus, then switch back to HDMI.

1 Like