Automatically activate auto-focus on startup

Auto focus refers to the process of a device looking for proper focus by changing it and measuring the focus somehow until the proper, sharp focus has been achieved.

The trigger for this to happen is built into the PPM by means of movement detection. This might be too sensitive making the auto focus process trigger way too often and at unexpected moments.

Another way to trigger the auto focus is by pressing the middle of the lowest buttons on the included remote. After triggering it, you can fine tune it by using the volume up and down left and right arrow buttons while the focus pattern is still showing.

This thread was about automatically triggering the process at each start up, and whether to have this option as a toggle or not.

I hope I’ve answered your questions @jsheets, if not let me know.

It does, if you move it.

Anyway my vote for auto on starup

My preference here would be an on/off toggle for autofocus on start-up. Despite being a portable projector this is going to live attached to my living room ceiling most of the time until summer rolls around again.

2 Likes

Definitely a toggle if this feature exists, someone mentioned doing presentations above - don’t know about them but I’m a bit paranoid with such things and I’d definitely want to access the room and setup the projector beforehand - if it then suddenly started changing things when I turned it on for the actual presentation I’d freak. :sweat_smile:

Also yeah mine will most locally be in one place for significant periods.

3 Likes

@Brizee did you vote on the suggestion though (button at the top of this thread)?

Nah, on this occasion provided it’s just a toggle, this feature will have no impact and if it’s not a toggle it’ll have a detriment on my experience - so I’m mostly ambivalent on the vote. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Toggle on off for autofocus please and off by default would be perfect. Thanks

1 Like

If I set an exact manual focus before a presentation, I would definitely appreciate if that focus distance stays set, even if I turn the projector off while waiting to display something.

If I have not set an exact manual focus, having autofocus trigger on startup probably wouldn’t bother me much, but also wouldn’t be important. I expect mixed use for my projector. Some of the time it could spend several days in a row in a fixed location, but at other times it might face a new screen for each startup.

3 Likes

FYI in this context:

3 Likes

Guys a new issue i am facing. Sometime when i am clicking the Autofocus it just freezes in out of focus then i have to click again to refocus. Anyone experienced this before???

I vote for option to autofocus on startup using a toggle!

3 Likes

Please don’t make this function mandatory on every startup. It’s ok if you can enable or disable it.
Some of us leave this projector in the same place for several days and don’t want to unnecessarily wear out the focus motor

I would like a software update where best focus setting would be fixed at our favourite image size or distance so that doesn’t have to be toggled again and again…

I don’t think that’s possible:

1. The PPX doesn’t know what size/distance you’re projecting at
  2. Even if either you or it did, the focusing logic doesn’t encode the focusing distance and can’t select a certain focusing distance at will. All it can do is move the focusing distance back and forth until it finds a spot where clear focus was perceived by the camera, and then move back to where that was achieved.
2 Likes

hi prashant
wanted to check with you.
Does the focus need to be triggered by the remote button at certain distances as it happens I need to click on the focus button sometimes but if i use it at at approx predesignated it works reasonably well… For example I tried from maybe 3 feet away and it was required .
could you note this issue down.
Maybe the fine tuning threshhold could be improved to perfection?

Simply moving it straight closer to the wall might not trigger autofocus since that’s not nearly enough “motion”. Just tilt the projector up and back down. Then it’ll trigger. Or just press the focus key.

1 Like

i do that.
my query and input was if I position it before starting it sometimes its not in focus and many times it is.
Are certain distances out of its focus or it does that randomely?
Is it mandatory that we need to press focus button or tilt it as you said most of the time?
Shouldnt auto focus trigger on startup?
any plans to hone focus settings and try to get max clarity in the future?
thx

We had autofocus triggering at the slightest flapping of a butterfly’s wings in Florida some firmware revisions ago, then people claimed it was too sensitive so it was dialed back to only if there’s rigorous or distinct motion, like pointing it up or down. So no, the autofocus is not designed to always be focusing, its not a video camera recording an MTV video. If you move it in such a way that it detects the motion, it will trigger. If that’s not enough, press the button.

1 Like

Ok…just wanted to give my input .thx