Best external speakers?

I’m thinking of getting good external speakers. Are there any models that anyone in the forum has tested and is happy with? My strong preference is to have a wireless setup.

I understand that a Sonos Beam Soundbar would not work for the time being

I tested the Bose sound mini color. The sound is very good.

2 Likes

You can check Bose Home Speaker 500, it supports bluetooth/ wifi/ Airplay2

1 Like

Thank you!

I am currently using JBL Extreme 2. It is design for outdoor use. check it out!

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I quite enjoy using the Sony WF-1000XM3 in ear with noice cancellation. It is comfortable to wear for a longtime, and with noise cancellation, it really let me enjoy the movie without outside noise disturbance.

1 Like

I have 3 UE booms that you can download an app and pair them all together. I don’t have a ppm yet to try it with but they have great sound. You can use two in stereo mode and can pair up to 150 with the app. Great speakers, waterproof so good for outdoor use.

2 Likes

I’m using my existing Bose SoundTouch 10, works well!

1 Like

It looks like PicoPix video playback adjusts for Bluetooth latency. My speaker died during some TV and the video stuttered/paused for a few moments before it gave up on the speaker and resumed using the internal sound.

In case it’s useful, I’m using the [moderately outdated] Sony SRS-X77 and it works perfectly.

I found that it’s easiest to turn on the speaker before the projector, so that the connection is made automatically.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers!

I’ve been running my JBL Charge 3, and in spite of being an all-in-one (so not much audio imaging) it sounds pretty great!
I’m used to a pretty fantastic setup at home, and yet watching a movie with the JBL didn’t once distract me from the experience.

1 Like

Thank you!

I just bought and paired my Bose sound bar 700 with the ppm, and really loved the speaker and sound output.

The Bose sound bar 700 connects to my normal old LG tv via the tv input, my iPhone through music (wifi) input , and the ppm via the Bluetooth connection.

And it is very easy and convenient to switch around the sound input via the remote control.

And that Bose 700 remote control can also have limited control of my ppm too (like powering off and sound volume)

1 Like

Sounds great! Thank you!

1 Like

I have those as well, but haven’t tested them with the PPM yet. I have however tested the WH-1000XM3 which are the over the ear version, and it’s really great as it cancels out the fan noise completely and allows me to enjoy the content perfectly without any lag.

I’ve had lesser results with my Pioneer SC-LX801 receiver via Bluetooth, as the sound lagged by as much as 1.4 seconds and sometimes would break up all together and sound choppy. I haven’t tested the receiver with other Bluetooth sources yet, so I can’t tell if it’s the PPM or the receiver(‘s location in the cabinet) that’s at fault.

1 Like

Hi @IvoGrijt,

On my side, I’ve successfully tested using a Bluetooth Logitech receiver plugged in my A/V Pioneer through Red and white Line in cinch.
After launching movies, it takes few seconds of adaptation and then the sound is truly synced with lips !

Are you using an adapter, a Pioneer module plugged in your amp or has your amp bluetooth ability ?

1 Like

My receiver has built-in Bluetooth 4.1 supports check out the datasheet

Hi @Paul_Lockett, I was wondering if you have received your PPM and if so, have you had a chance to actively use the UE Boom with it yet? Thanks.

Unfortunately not, I am in Canada and in the 16xxx, so I don’t think I will get mine fore another month or so.

Once I get it I will be sure to pair and review here on sound. I have 3 so can choose to do two with stereo or 3 (wouldn’t be in stereo) and see how loud I can get it.

Linking 2 x UE Boom together… not yet working. BOOM app loadable, but can’t pair speakers as PartyBoom needs location services which doesn’t seem to work. If you find a solution, please reply. PPM is otherwise pretty good!