Bluetooth Speaker

Okay finally received my motion+ speakers a couple of days ago from aliexpress , so here are my experiences so far,
First up the 2 speakers came in separate packages and each one was also bundled with a 24w Anker charger which was a nice surprise, but when I opened it up they were both with UK plugs,

Now it comes time to test the speakers out, this was all done on a 2018 Mac mini with bluetooth 5.0 running Catalina because my ppm charger broke, and I found 3 ways to connect these 2 speakers together as left and right channel for a true stereo set up, I got the speakers not just for music but watching movies YouTube etc as well so itā€™s important for it to be in sync with the voice on screen.

'1. Via Bluetooth to the first speaker which will be the left channel, the right speaker is not paired to the Mac but wirelessly to the left speaker, this setup is what is recommenced I guess , whatā€™s great about this connection is the volume control, all 3 devices are in sync, you can use the volume plus or minus buttons on either the left or right speakers and it will control the other speaker as well, plus change the volume slider on the Mac screen , but unfortunately on the Mac the sound is unusable there are dropouts delays out of sync it canā€™t even be used for music only, but with a single speaker itā€™s perfectly fine no noticeable delays at all.

1. Bluetooth disconnected, 3.5mm aux cable to the left speaker with the right speaker wirelessly paired to the left, yes this is possible, after stereo pairing them once they auto connect to each other the next time they are switched on with or without bluetooth, this connection method was much better no dropouts at all, but with YouTube videos it is slightly out of sync thatā€™s noticeable but surprisingly with Netflix it was much better and totally watchable, but the volume control is no longer in sync with the Mac, hitting max volume on the Mac the speakers are only at maybe 50 to 60 percent volume but you can push the volume plus button on any one of the speakers to get it louder, which is not perfect but Iā€™m okay with it minor issue I can live with.

2. Now finally with a Hosa breakout cable
    https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMM-261-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O5H/?tag=cm-sales-us-2019-20
    , bluetooth disconnected, a separate 3.5mm cable plugged in to each of the speakers then in to the breakout cable red for right and black for left then in to the 3.5mm port on the back of the Mac, and yes it works, for distortion free perfectly synced sound this is the way to go,
    But unfortunately there is also a downside to this for none of the volume control is in sync, to make sure the left and right speakers are on the same volume I start by pressing and holding down the volume down buttons on both speakers for about 30 seconds or so to make sure they are both on the same lowest volume, then click say 15 times on one of the speakers and repeat on the other one so they reach the same level, and if I want to change volume again I need to remember how many clicks Iā€™ve done on one and to do the same on the other one every time, so this can be a bit of a pain to set up.

After receiving a charger also from aliexpress I finally got to test it on the ppm using the 1st method with bluetooth to the left speaker, and to my surprise it worked almost perfectly YouTube Netflix internal storage content etc with no noticeable delays, so overall Iā€™m very happy with the speakers itā€™s loud and clear.
Oh and I forgot to mention once the speakers are paired with each other switching off one speaker the other one turns off as well, very neat.

3 Likes

Now setup the Motion+ speakers EQ settings as advise in this video:

2 Likes

Works fine on Sonos Move (Bluetooth mode).
No lag, really great sound !

1 Like

you tested it on youtube or netflex or other video player?

Tested on YouTube, Netflix, VLC (through UPNP). Seems great !

2 Likes

Hey @Razi what BT speakers have you had prior to Sonos that you can compare it too?

Hi,
I first tried a JBL GO (Link) but battery was low very fast. Then I bought Sonos Move without knowing if it was compatible :slight_smile:
This is uncomparableā€¦ sound is so awesome with new one (But price is highā€¦)

1 Like

@Razi cheers!

Yeah Sonos are very high cost/quality. Ive owned 2 in the past and lots of Sonos gear probably 10 years ago (:flushed:)

Iā€™m 90% on a Sonos , but the Minirig 3 stereo setup is pretty awesome Ive read.

I want stereo seperation in an easy to use, reliable (i.e no sound drops) package.