Buzz noise when not using lowest brightness settings

Hi all, we are looking into it.

From a personal point of view, I can just barely hear it on my unit if I put my ears right on the projector. It sounds like PWM resonance, which is quite normal for electronics that control the brightness using pulse width modulation. It is then amplified by the fan and the enclosure.

However I’m in touch with the engineers to check if there’s something we can do to reduce it.

3 Likes

Does this depend on the plugged in/out status?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: V1.0.32 (pre-1.1.0) now available for beta testing

But this doesn’t appear when the device is not plugged to the power source :confused:

1 Like

I concur, and in my opinion only started since FW 1.1.0.

Hi all, an engineer has been assigned and we are currently investigating.

2 Likes

Audible hum/buzzing when both headphones and charger are both connected. Obviously quite annoying.

Buzzing goes away when usb-c charger is unplugged. Is this due to poor shielding?

How do I fix this…?

2 Likes

Any ideas?

Does the power plug have grounding? If it does, are you plugging it into a power socket that also has grounding?

Hi @slh83 Although I’ve moved your post to this thread which is about buzzing noise in general, I think your specific issue is due to the power plug not being connected to an outlet with proper grounding. Can you try another power outlet? If you have any other USB-C charger, can you please try that?

1 Like

Hmm odd! Are the headphones connected directly to the headphone jack of the projector and nothing else? If that’s the case then at least there can’t be any external ground loops and any buzzing noise has to be generated inside the projector itself.

Is the buzzing sound different on different brightness modes (eco, normal, presentation) and does the buzzing change if the battery is full or closer to empty?

Are you using the Philips adapter and the USB-C cable that was shipped with the device?

2 Likes

What type brand of headphones bluetooth or plug in? tried any other headphones and do they all have the buzz?

I’ve also got this buzz while using the physical headphone jack, and it comes and goes together with the light engine lighting up once plugged in (note: only comes when the LEDs brighten, not as soon as plugged in).
The EU charger plug adapter doesn’t have a grounding pin, so no grounding possible at all there. I can’t locate my unit’s box to find the UK prong, so I can’t say about the UK one.

2 Likes

i got a buzzing noise while charging the projector. as soon as i take off the power supply its gone.

is it save to keep using the charger?

Besides the buzzing while using headphones which not doubt can be annoying, but this topic in general reminds me of that ringtone going around a few years ago if anyone remembers, basically it’s a high pitched ringtone that supposedly young people up to a certain age are more likely to hear it, and as we age our hearing deteriorates and are less likely to hear it, so this buzzing might annoy some of us more than others?

1 Like

And also notice that the firmware v1.1.0 came out on the 8th of May with the major reduction in fan noise, and this topic started on the 9th of May, coincidence that there was no buzzing prior to this, or was it just masked by the fan noise?

1 Like

I just checked all the plugs that came in my package, and none has a grounding pin these home appliances usually don’t, I think because they are all double insulated, the UK plug does have a plastic dummy pin perhaps to make it more secure

2 Likes

@PhilipsEngineering

since today i also have a buzzing sound which clearly is coming from the projector itself.

batterypower fell under 15% and i plugged in the charger and it immediatly started to buzz while running. sound stops if the projector shut down and starts again if i power it on while beeing charged.

im kinda afraid. of that sound.

its starts the moment the brightness of the projector changes due to the plugin power, so a second after pluggin in.

1 Like

any news here about that buzzing noise while using from A/C?

These are two different noises. There is a high pitched noise from the adapter being plugged in that is a high frequency thing. But the headphone noise I heard, sounded more like the noise when you plug a guitar into an amp (lower toned and louder than the high pitched noise of the adapter).

1 Like