Can't connect to Wifi

I uninstalled expressvpn and still no dice. The wifi won’t connect, when I select my network it shows up briefly in current network, then disappears. It cycles like this a few times then just gives up. This is how it goes about 25-50% of the time. I haven’t found a reliable workaround yet, other then restarting the projector several times until it decides to behave.

That’s a bummer.

1. What frequency is this WiFi network of yours, 2,4GHz or 5 GHz?
  2. Have you tried creating a hotspot on your phone and connecting to it?
  3. Have you tried different networks elsewhere?

None of these questions excuse the fact that it should work with your WiFi network, but they might help to narrow the issue down.

Using an uncluttered 5ghz band at close range.

I’m limited in my options with tethering and other networks because I’m overseas, but I will maybe try using my laptop as a hotspot. However, none of my other devices have trouble on this network.

In the hidden wifi menu, I am getting “wifi network didn’t accept connection.”

It also lists under my network, where it usually says “saved” it says “disabled”

I’m completely unable to get connected now.

Aha! The passphrase might be wrong! :bulb:

How are you entering the wifi passphrase, with the onscreen keyboard? The focus tends to stay stuck at the letter Q, and when you press the OK button the Q is entered instead.

If you do, just see if you can connect to it; you don’t need to get actually internet connection at all, just trying to join a WiFi network. Make the hotspot password free or having a short & simple password just to see if you can keep connected. If that works, then it’s the inputting of the password that somehow fails.

Dive into any Starbucks or McDonalds or even an Apple store and try to join their WiFi network as a test.

Haha, I’m not sure there’s an apple store or Starbucks near where I am :wink:

The passphrase is correct, it does connect on occasion without having to re-enter it. The network and password are saved, it just seems to decide on its own when it wants to work!

I’ll try the laptop tomorrow. It will take a longer term test to see if the issue comes back, since it seems to be so off and on. I’ll let you know!

1 Like

But what about if you use the default Android wifi settings? The PPM wifi settings screen seems to be bugging out, but the android default UI shouldn’t have this problem.

Can you please try that?

Prashant,

Thank you, but it is the android (hidden) menu which gives me the error messages I’ve outlined above. The regular menu gives no error messages, it just doesn’t connect. Neither works.

So I’ve reenabled the 2.4ghz band on my router, and the 2.4 channel connects reliably, every time, despite being a very cluttered band in my area.

The 5ghz is still hit and miss, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Unfortunately the 2.4ghz band is too slow for Plex local streaming.

Back to HDMI I guess.

Does this hidden settings menu still work? I can’t seem to open it from the “about” menu.

1 Like

I can still access it (a few OK presses on “Software Version”).

WiFi connected with no issue at home.

Once at work, to run a presentation, I could not connect to the WiFi whatsoever.
Can’t connect to my phone or any WiFi around.

What is that dark magic?

Please elaborate on the WiFi router model(s) / frequencies attempted which worked and didn’t work.
To discover the dark magic we need more data.

Multiple router same SSID, 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
Channel 11 on the 2.4GHz
Channel 36 on the 5GHz

Tried moving around the office for less loss (with the help of a WiFi analyser)

Use my phone as hotspot failed too. 2.4GHz

Hi all,
I’m experiencing the same bug as you @HVC , but with a fresh new Screeneo U3 baught 2 days ago :
I’m unable to connect to the WIFI with the settings “WIFI device disabled”, “Please turn on the WIFI”. But when I try to switch it on, nothing happen, it stays off. Yet it worked when I started it for the first time but not anymore.I already restarted everythning (factory reset) but unsuccessfully.
Did you fix it since your post ? Any idea @Philips_Support_P ? Any update to fix it ?
Thanks a lot

Hi there @ArthurD, sorry to say no - this unit is pretty rubbish, its been in the box since we received it spent days trying to get it to work, took to various locations (office, home with super sound wifi networks), nothing works. Beyond disappointed in this product. I did exactly the same thing as you, just an unfortunate purchase as far as I’m concerned, wish they’d release a solution in the way of an update that solves the issues, not sure it’s actually possible… too many things wrong with this projector to spend more time on it as far as we are concerned.

I just came back from troubleshooting a PPX with WiFi connection issues from a fellow backer in my hometown. I took my fully working PPX with me and first he showed me his, where the unit would see the networks, connect to the one he had set (and also reset when I was there), only to not get any IP address and the WiFi to turn itself off completely. Each time we went back into the WiFi settings and turned the WiFi on, it would try to connect and then just turn the WiFi off by itself. Not even connecting to a hotspot would work.

So I took mine out of the bag and proceeded to connect it to the same WiFi network as he had tried. Lo and behold, my PPX did exactly the same as his! :astonished: I could not get it to connect to anything, not even my iPhone’s hotspot, the WiFi would just crash.

So we had successfully reproduced his issue on my unit which has worked perfectly fine so far at my home.

I then realized that the flat he lived in was bursting with WiFi networks. My laptop and iPhone were picking up at least 16, sometimes different than that even. I believe that the sheer amount of WiFi networks is causing something to overflow and crash the WiFi stack.

Good news is that I’ve managed to reproduce the issue, and got a log file of the unit while in that environment. So now the engineers may finally be able to discover what’s going on once I send in my findings.

For those that reported this issue here: how many networks do you see in your phone / laptop / PPX?

4 Likes

Hi @IvoGrijt @HVC Thanks for the quick answer.
Indeed I live in a flat where I can see a very large number of WIFI networks. So It might be the source of the trouble as @IvoGrijt explained it. Now, there’s nothing that could limit that. I hope your findings will allow an update soon… Can you keep in touch ?

1 Like

@ArthurD:

Is it possible for you to try this suggestion:

Thanks @imdevu but in fact I can’t even try to connect to my network since I need first to “turn on the WIFI device” in the settings of the Screeeo, which is impossible since it turn itself off. Currently I don’t see any WIFI network with the projector (but a lot with my computer in the same room). In these circumstances, changing my WIFI channel won’t change anything ? Or am I missing something ? Sorry I’m not very familiar with this king of issues.

download a WiFi analyser app similar to this one here on your phone and update your router to transmit to a free channel. Not sure if it will help if the setting is not stable.

Alternatively try going to a different place (safely) and try to connect your mobile in wifi mode (tethering) and see if that helps.

1 Like