Chromecast and Google Play video

I have a Chromecast connected via HDMI to the projector so I can cast audio/video. This seems to work well with some sources (YouTube, Google Music), until I try to cast any videos purchased on Google Play. I get video but no sound.

I’ve also tried playing the videos through the supported YouTube app, but the videos don’t play at all.

Is this an issue with the projector not having GMS or some type of DRM support?

Version 1.0.25 installed.

2 Likes

If it is over the HDMI, I don’t think gms could be a problem. If you connect the same chromecast to a TV and play the same content, does it work?

What is the format of the audio stream ? Is it 5.1?

I hadn’t thought to check this, but after trying a couple of other purchased videos it does seem to be anything with a 5.1 stream has the issue.

It’s not something that was a problem with my previous projector using the same Chromecast setup, and I have double checked that this still works today.

And it’s works direct with Google Play Film in PPM without Google Chrome Cast ? It’s an otherway to make a test.

Your Chromecast needs to be configured to output PCM 2 channel audio for the PPM to be able to play it. Not sure if that is something that will change in later firmware.

Your Chromecast needs to be configured to output PCM 2 channel audio for the PPM to be able to play it.

At least with the model I have, I can see no way to do this with the Chromecast.

Not sure if that is something that will change in later firmware.

To clarify, do you mean firmware for the projector, or for the Chromecast?

That’s odd if the Chromecast can’t select the correct audio output (as that’s something that can’t be automatically detected). I have no experience with the Chromecasts so I have no idea.

Yes, firmware for the PPM.

I believe the chromecast can’t do pretty much anything to the audio track. It doesn’t do any decoding or downmixing, and will output exactly the bitstream of the selected track.
There is no way to downmix a multichannel track to stereo/DPL PCM other than an external decoder (or selecting a pcm track from the source).

Sure sounds like it. Then the question becomes “are there always stereo fallback audio available?”. When running something like plex the server can transcode audio, but then it has to know that the sink is only capable of PCM audio. 2ch PCM is (still) the only audio format you have to support over HDMI but maybe Google forgot about that?