CraveTV app requires Amazon Appstore?

Hey guys, just got my Picopix max up and running. I’m trying to get one of my main streaming apps up and working (CraveTV). The app itself is available in Apptoide, but it throws an error stating “Android appstore is required to be installed.”

When I search for Android Appstore, I do find one but after installing it I get another error saying the version is no longer valid (or something to that effect).

I’m new to Android, but it seems like perhaps the version of CraveTV on the Apptoid store is the FireTV stick version? Is there another version that works, maybe one I can sideload? Or is there a way to get the current version working?

Thanks!

Update: I manged to sideload the Amazon appstore (it shows up sideways), but it allows CraveTV to open and play media.

However, video within the CraveTV app plays extremely choppy.

I’ve just gone to using HDMI hooked up to my laptop for everything now. I’m very happy with the quality of the hardware, the picture quality and brightness are great. However, the software is too much of a mess right now for me to bother any further.

I have encountered the same issues with Crave. @Philips_Support_P is this app on the to do list for software updates?

Not specifically this app, but yes it’s a high prio bug, in progress right now. Most apps with choppy playback is due to using default WebView which doesn’t correctly work with HW decoding.

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

I just downloaded the new software version and noticed that I am still unable to use the Crave app. I remembered you mentioning there was a bug with this app that your team was working on fixing and so thought I would check-in for an update on where things were on this. Is there a separate step I need to take to update the app for it to work?

Hi @mphameli there are two issues being talked about here:

1. CraveTV requires Amazon App Store – there is nothing we can do about this.

2. CraveTV video playback is choppy – this is something we are working on. It didn’t make it into 1.0.29 but it’s linked to Kodi and is a general GPU performance problem. It is a high priority task and I hope an improvement will be available soon.

That’s funny, I tried Crave yesterday and it seemed to work now. I only played a couple minutes of video as a test, but it seemed good on .27

It requires “set orientation” to force landscape mode, but seemed otherwise good.

1 Like

Hi @sandman1330, I’m new to android and so sorry if this is obvious, but did you find a way to make Crave work without the Amazon App Store. I can’t seem to be able to download this on the PPM.

If using the Amazon App Store, how did you get it on the PPM? If side loaded, can you clarify what that means. Sorry, so new to this…

Super grateful for any guidance you are able to provide.

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

Sorry it took me a little while to respond. I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

1. Amazon App Store - When I use my Apple TV, the Crave App is just plug and play. Is there a way to achieve this on the PPM? If not, how do I get the Amazon App Store on the PPM? If side loading is the only method, please clarify what this means.

2. Thank you for working on improving the video playback.

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

Just sending a friendly follow-up on my last post. Looking forward to your reply.

mphameli

PhilipsEngineering

11d

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

Sorry it took me a little while to respond. I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

1. Amazon App Store - When I use my Apple TV, the Crave App is just plug and play. Is there a way to achieve this on the PPM? If not, how do I get the Amazon App Store on the PPM? If side loading is the only method, please clarify what this means.
  2. Thank you for working on improving the video playback.