Design issues with tripod mount, and other minor issues

I gave up the original tripod and i am actually using the Joby Gorillapod which is quite common for camera. Secure, flexible and stable also with a quick release so that you can detach PPM from the tripod easily. Easy to find on amazon.

Focus problem
I also found that the auto focus is not very accurate even I project straightly to a white wall. When I am using the autofocus function, the motor on the lens will rotate and at somepoint I notice the picture is very clear but the motor will keep moving and stops where the picture is not at the sharpest point. there is function where i can manually change the focus, but cant adjust the focus to the sharpest point either.

is this a bug or something else? anyone has this problem? @Philips_Support_P

Hi all, regarding tripod I don’t have much info as it’s the HW ID team’s work. @Philips_Support_N may have some input. In any case the feedback is noted and the mould will most likely be modified for future production. For existing users I think some felt padding will do the trick. It’s interesting for me though since the tripod mount is supposed to follow exactly the international standard. :thinking:

Regarding autofocus not being super accurate, it’s a known issue, though not considered a bug. The reason is that the algorithm needs to work in a LOT of different distances / lighting conditions and lens alignments (remember that at this form factor and price point, some minor misalignment of lens elements is expected). As a result, the algorithm might have to decide between which part to keep in focus. Currently it prefers the center, which can result in small defocussing on one of the corners. Normally it doesn’t matter at all for watching media content. But if you’re projecting text and sharp UI, you might want to manually fine-tune it, a human can decide better the tradeoff of which parts should be in perfect focus. That said, we’ll be working to optimise the algorithm further.

6 Likes

Hi @Astretch I believe this is due to incorrect calibration of your PicoPix. I’ve written an FAQ on Automatic Keystone Correction, please follow those steps to get it working properly.

Unfortunately it seems as though this is not the case.
I followed all steps to ensure the pico was perfectly lined up with the screen - mounted on a tripod at the precise height to centre of the screen (145cm for each). Fully leveled the tripod head to neutral - 0° tilt 0° Roll.
I then performed the steps that you suggested with the horizontal calibration.
The attached photo shows what resulted. Still way off line.

Hi @Astretch please mount it at the bottom of the screen. The optical path has a “100% offset” which means it starts at the lens and goes up. It’s not supposed to be in the center!

4 Likes

I posted some pics of the included ball head and its range of motion here

Yes, as mentioned PPM has “100% offset” (technically 50% offset :smiley:).
This way, it’s actually easier to position the projector in most cases because changing the distance from the screen won’t require you to change the height of the projector. You just need to center it with your screen and align at the bottom then adjust the distance until all corners are perfect on your screen’s border.

why so?

I read something about this.
If the lens is usually at the center, then if you move it to the bottom, that’s only 50% of the full height, no?
It’s just something I read and I could be wrong to believe that :joy:

This is down to the definition and semantics I guess.
Measured from the center it’s 50% lower, yes.
But measured from the top it usually sits at 50% and now sits at 100% of the distance.
If you measure it from the bottom you could also call it a 0% offset, so it all depends on your definition of the term offset and how you measure it.

I don’t know how it’s used in the industry or this projector field.

Well, it doesn’t really matter. 100% offset is what’s used mostly.
I just mention it because I read it somwhere :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Offset is calculated as the % of screen height that’s above the optical axis (center of lens). So 100% means the whole screen is above the lens. Center would be 50% offset.

8 Likes

Hi folks, some of you who experienced the problem of projector not sitting flush on the tripod – could you please tell me if this only happened with the tripod supplied in the box, or with your other 3rd party tripods too?

i made a different gasket?/washer 3d printed thats sits flush on all surfaces under ppm
but i still adjusting it

1 Like

I have found issues with the tripod provided in the box and not sitting flush. I don’t feel happy using it as it is very unstable, I don’t have another tripod too try it with.

What Joby model did you buy? I’d like to attach PPM and then “hang” Joby on a vertical board. So need Joby robust enough to hold.

I have a Joby 5K and another similar to what is now called 3K, and they both do an excellent job of holding the PPX

It will happen to all tripod mounts since the mounting hole is not flush (thus tripod plate will not fully support the PPM) and the screw hole is too shallow.

I’ve tested on the in the box tripod, and with 3 other tripods that I’ve got in hand (standard and mini tripod). The in the box tripod is unusable due to the cheap and shaky ball head included. The same ball head doesn’t allow vertical (ceiling) projection too since it’s too short.

Yes, my other tripod came with a laser level tool. I don’t know the brand.

Hi Prashant. The issue is the same whatever tripod I have tried. Right now I’m using an original/old school Gorillapod which has a bracket that affixes to the projector and clicks onto the tripod via a quick release. I used a small metal washer to fill the gap left by the screw hole not beng deep enough.

I also echo the comments about the supplied tripod not being very usable.