Design issues with tripod mount, and other minor issues

Well, it doesn’t really matter. 100% offset is what’s used mostly.
I just mention it because I read it somwhere :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Offset is calculated as the % of screen height that’s above the optical axis (center of lens). So 100% means the whole screen is above the lens. Center would be 50% offset.

8 Likes

Hi folks, some of you who experienced the problem of projector not sitting flush on the tripod – could you please tell me if this only happened with the tripod supplied in the box, or with your other 3rd party tripods too?

i made a different gasket?/washer 3d printed thats sits flush on all surfaces under ppm
but i still adjusting it

1 Like

I have found issues with the tripod provided in the box and not sitting flush. I don’t feel happy using it as it is very unstable, I don’t have another tripod too try it with.

What Joby model did you buy? I’d like to attach PPM and then “hang” Joby on a vertical board. So need Joby robust enough to hold.

I have a Joby 5K and another similar to what is now called 3K, and they both do an excellent job of holding the PPX

It will happen to all tripod mounts since the mounting hole is not flush (thus tripod plate will not fully support the PPM) and the screw hole is too shallow.

I’ve tested on the in the box tripod, and with 3 other tripods that I’ve got in hand (standard and mini tripod). The in the box tripod is unusable due to the cheap and shaky ball head included. The same ball head doesn’t allow vertical (ceiling) projection too since it’s too short.

Yes, my other tripod came with a laser level tool. I don’t know the brand.

Hi Prashant. The issue is the same whatever tripod I have tried. Right now I’m using an original/old school Gorillapod which has a bracket that affixes to the projector and clicks onto the tripod via a quick release. I used a small metal washer to fill the gap left by the screw hole not beng deep enough.

I also echo the comments about the supplied tripod not being very usable.

I use the supplied tripod. It is not very good and unstable. It doesn’t support the picopix max very well. The projector sits on a strange angle and I have to twist it slightly every time I use it. To put it bluntly the grip of is rubbish and should never of been supplied or sent with the projector. It distracts from a very good projector.

2 Likes

mine is Joby 3k, should be able to support max weight of 3kg.

1 Like

Ok, here is what is going on… there are a number of matters that are very clear.

1. the dept provided for the screw in the bottom of the PPM is too short. it does not comply with standard mounts.
  2. the tripod provided by Philips has a shorter threat of standard mounts. - Highly suggestive they are directly aware of this and modified the screw thread length to take into account of the limited screw plate depth.
  3. I have tried standard multiple plates, mounts and screw - all confirm the above fault in the product.

Hence:
Philips needs genuine solution. It cannot be the case that now solution if offer and that we are limited to the provided rather poor tripod. Futher, it also cannot be the case that using stand tripods requires aftermarket homemade modifications that increase the risk of damage. I observe and appreciate the work by Carljohan_Selke in commencing work on a solution. Philips is a fortunate recipient of such work. Philips should provide public thanks.

What we need now:
Philips now needs to recognise their deign/manufacturing fault and provide finalised solution. The solution arrived upon then needs to be provided to backers.

3 Likes

@Philips_Support_P can Phillips look into this more for us? This is definitely concerning and takes away from a great projector.

Everyone has made valid points on the tripod.

I was emailed regarding uploading photos of the tripod mount damage. Attached picture of the broken tripod mount, removed from the PicoPix Max and replaced with the mount from my old PicoPix 5110

1 Like

Thanks and welcome Jon, I was the one who invited you here. Hopefully this might help in future iterations of the hardware.

Hi IvoG, you also referred me here from the indiegogo website where you are identified as more than a moderate, beta-tester but also identified as a ‘Project Owner’. I make this comment in the interest of transparency. As an identified as a ‘Project Owner’, what is the ‘Project Owner’ going to do about fixing the fault? Your comment refers to future iterations of the hardware. With the greatest of respect, this does not address the need to fix the fault inherent in the product you provided - clearly there are aspects that are clearly not as specified. All here would appreciate your attention to identify a ‘solution’ and ‘fix’ the ‘fault’. I am not seeking to be provocative in any way whatsoever. The product is great, but this detracts from it. It make the product poor, and weak in a very literal sense. There is now a great opportunity for Philips to show it cares about precision; or perhaps it is an opportunity to care ‘not so much’. Lots of companies and people (including powerful people) care ‘not so much’… The ‘fact’ is there is a problem… Philips and IvoG… kindly and with not other intent beyond seeking your considered thoughts and attention - I again state,

"I observe and appreciate the work by Carljohan_Selke in commencing work on a solution. Philips is a fortunate recipient of such work. Philips should provide public thanks.

What we need now:
Philips now needs to recognise their deign/manufacturing fault and provide finalised solution. The solution arrived upon then needs to be provided to backers."

1 Like

Please see this first: Announcement: Philips Projection team expansion

IndieGogo identifies me as a Project Owner, where perhaps Project Owner’s Team member would be the accurate description. It’s necessary to identify me as more than a mere user though, which is why it does that. But in no way am I directly involved in the design or manufacturing of this product, I’m merely helping with the adminstration of the logistics and the moderation of this forum, and since this week also with the IndieGogo support.

I meant as in future products Philips Projection might create. This PPX620 however will always be like this I believe, I can’t see that there will be new molds of this product made to fix this.

However, perhaps there can be something created by the community or Philips Projection, to mitigate the issue or solve it for those who feel the need for it. I for one, as stated before, have no issue mounting the PPX to the tripod’s I’ve used it with. It might not be able to withstand being mounted on a moving vehicle, but then again, it’s not a camera nor do I have a use case requiring that.

That’s not to say that you and others haven’t had issues. I’ve had a very expensive video head socket fail due to over-tightening of the mount screw. All the manufacturer could do was to sell me a new one, as it happened outside of the warranty period, having only used it 1 time prior to the failure. So issues do occur. But this being a structural design choice (or flaw if you wish), I can also imagine a solution achieved by the community or Philips Projection becoming available in the near future.

1 Like

Hi - I screwed the projector directly onto the tripod (didn’t use the other bracket), and now cannot get it off. Unscrewing it simply spins the legs and the screw doesn’t budge.

Any tricks that I’m missing?

Use a 2mm thick plastic washer to better level the tripod head to the projector - make sure you have enough thread on the tripod head (the supplied unit Isn’t long enough to use with the washer)
I use a joby tripod (purchased from Apple store etc.) it has a really good ball head push lock and With the plastic washer between it and ppm body Its a much more stable rig

3 Likes