Focus searching

I’ve found that the auto focus is a little inconsistent. One suggestion to fix this for the operator is to load up the main menu first. Find focus and then connect the HDMI/USB-C source. I’ve not seen my ppm find focus while already in those modes.

2 Likes

Yes it’s because the autofocus really wants to have the focus pattern displayed on the screen. When HDMI/USB-C is active, that pattern isn’t displayed. Then it has to rely on the external content being displayed, which may not always have enough sharp edges etc. So you’re right, it’s best to quickly unplug the HDMI cable, focus it, and then plug it back in.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P Interesting, could you send us the exact focus pattern image? We can send that through HDMI to get a better focus instead of moving cables around.

1 Like

This seems to suggest the AF is just doing a general contrast detection, so any high contrast pattern might work. Or is the specific pattern required?

1 Like

@Hobbes I have to admit, the way Philips has chosen to implement certain features is very counter-intuitive. It’s almost as if HDMI and USB-c were afterthoughts. I’d be surprised if color settings stay consistent when HDMI is connected.

I will use the PPM the most with my blu-ray player. Does this mean that I have to disconnect HDMI every time I turn it on? Is there no option to save these settings? I use a 100 inch screen. Better to turn off auto focus completely?

2 Likes

I don’t believe that they are… They stated that the colour balance isn’t correct when using full power. So it’s max light at the expense of colour accuracy.

It would be nice if they could just give us rgb sliders plus presets.

2 Likes

@Vassago Yes, I stand corrected. Thankfully, it was confirmed that they set their color settings on a hardware level so they should persist regardless of whether it’s Android or externally input content. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you remember when/where this was stated?

It was in a thread about updates - improved colour accuracy which might make things look red. But further down said colour accuracy would be lost in presentation mode. Guessing its just full power to all leds to get greater brightness at the expense of accuracy. That’s why colour wheel projectors don’t have the issue. Same colour regardless of brightness. But who wants colour wheels? Lol

I have the hdmi cable always connected to ppm with the amp such that all my video will directly play from the source and project through ppm.

Do you mean i need to do the unplug every time to get the best focus? this is too painful and crazy.

1 Like

No, I think he just forgot the fact that you can actually go back to the home screen via the “Home” button.
Going back to your input source will take a bit longer though because of the current setup of the settings but hopefully it’ll be easier in the future.

1 Like

If you’re not moving the projector, you don’t need to refocus!

If you do need to refocus, first just press the focus button even if HDMI is connected. Chances are that the contrast of the image is enough to focus sharply. Only if it’s not enough, you can press Home first, refocus, and then use settings to go back to HDMI. But we’re improving it by adding some quick settings.

2 Likes

Regarding the planned quick settings, are you building it inside the launcher?
I’m asking because if many functions are baked into the launcher, using custom launchers may become a burden.

BTW Quick-Settings:

Is it possible to implement an LongPress Feature on the Remote for HDMI Input?

Nebula did that on one button for the functions (LongPress) AutoFocus and (Short-Press-Toggle) Source (HDMI/AndroidTV) on the Capsule II Remote and I really loved that.

First we are trying whatever is possible purely in app-level software. If required we may have to change the input subsystem to recognize long-press separately, then overload it as quick-settings key.

Whether it’s in launcher or a separate app is not clear right now, likely a separate app but need to make it an overlay which isn’t easy.