General info about shipment and manufacturing

I know, it would drive most people nuts. But I think it’s driving the Philips team also nuts, as so many things go wrong that are outside of their control, AND they have the constant requests for information to cater to. If they give answers and promises aren’t met, they get heat. If they give answers but try to keep some leeway they are called out for being vague. If they don’t give answers at all because they really have no clue where the package went or when things will change, they get heat for it.

These answers, while not definitive, are at least understandable.

Oh and please do not spam the forum with the same message in every single shipping thread, it will get you into trouble with the moderators.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, it would give transparency, perhaps more than they would want to give though, but at this point I feel it’s not unwarranted for backers to ask for this.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_N Please respond when you can. Thank you

Five numbers end of the week, it’s fair and I don’t think too much required - we deserve it. @Philips_Support_N

It is called managing the expectations. These are not some start-up crowd that came into being yesterday, they are ‘Philips’ for crying out loud. I gave them all the leeway they needed for nearly a month now. You can be all positive, being a beta-tester an all, when you have got something, but I wonder how you’d be when you are in my shoes. Don’t answer that, it is rhetorical , since you can never be in my shoes, when you have something to for the money (or I don’t know if you would even pay for it if you beta-test).
Being Philips, they should put adequate resource for managing expectations better. There is no excuse for that.

Hello guys, here is the report for today.

• First factory: 500 pieces ready for inspection. We picked up 50 pieces for full check but found 3 pieces with non working auto focus. We don’t accept this. So they will rework those (they found the issue). Rework should be finished tonight. Inspection again on Sunday. (they have 1,200 pieces to work on)
  • Second factory: 600 pieces ready for inspection. 1.1K ready on Monday. Inspection on Monday. (Including 1K for AU/NZ). 5-6K components are inside this factory. 2 production lines should be opened at the end of next week.
10 Likes

I would like to point you to some earlier posts I wrote in this subject:

https://community.philipsprojection.com/t/did-philips-create-this-forum-to-avoid-scrutiny-and-criticism-on-other-social-networks-or-to-help-customers/3689/8

With regards to not being in your shoes: no I’m not. But neither are you in theirs. You have been getting answers at least, I’ve backed a product where I spent $250 on that has gone complete and utterly silent.

And as for beta testing: I signed up using a form that anyone here with a PPM could sign up for. I am not paid to do the testing, I’m just very knowledgeable in testing procedures and technology in general and don’t need this projector for my daily life or business. So I can afford to screw up a bit with testing and having to restore to factory defaults or earlier firmware.

I paid for my PPM just like most others here, was lucky to get it on the 1st of February, and just last week ordered and paid for another one as I like it so much. I’ll have to wait for the second one just like everyone else though, no special treatment.

I like the product and believe in it, just like I like to help others looking for answers. I’ve invested a lot of time replying to posts on topics I can offer advice about. Sometimes it helps already to simply try to clarify what another user is really asking or facing. By doing that I’m trying to be part of the solutions instead of the problems.

I get your frustration 100%. But your situation is actually better than most here, as something is being done for you, albeit a bit unclear for you what exactly. Once you get the PPM you’ll be delighted though, and you’ll soon forget how frustrated you were. I’m rooting for your package to arrive soon! :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Appreciate that and I do get the effort they have been putting in the early stages of this campaign. They had been prompt to come back with relevant response in the Indigogo comments section. But the moment things got out of hands there, which was why I think they created this forum to save their name, should’ve realised it was key to keep the backers well informed of the progress, and also add more resource on that front if needed. But it now looks like they’ve got the funding and 1000 time more. Its also beyond refund deadline, so lets screw’em. That is what the impression it gives.
Also note, you are the sole individual defending them and I am not the only one complaining. I even got likes for my so called spam. I mean I don’t have to be in their shoes. It is basic right to expect direct answer and basic courtesy of them to be clear in their communication. That is if you want to be perceived as professionals. I mean they now seem to be at the stage they don’t want to even care.

1 Like

So no units has passed the QC yet then?

What happened to the 700 units that were ready for QC before the start of CNY? Are they included in the 500+600?

If everything goes well, how soon can we expect shipping to start for Australian backers?

1 Like

Which they did by adding moderators to help field questions and keep things orderly.

It was spam, as you posted the exact same message in 14 different threads. That doesn’t mean that the content did not have merit, obviously it struck a cord with others.

To complain is easy, to stand up for what you believe is right often more difficult.
Like I’ve explained before, I believe that while the team at Screeneo / Philips might be very good at what they usually do, this crowdfunding project test pilot hasn’t been a great success in the sense of smooth operations. It has however showed them a lot of the pitfalls and issues involved in allowing the public to participate in the design, funding and looks behind the scenes of bringing such a product to the market. Normally they don’t have to deal with backers, only internal project managers and so on. And if deadlines aren’t met the only people chasing them are their retailers. So that’s who they normally communicate with.

Imagine having that sort of regular load and now all of a sudden have to not only be accountable to your bosses but also to 15K+ backers, having to communicate, ship, track, collect taxes, prepare return forms, WHILE dealing with a lockdown and lack of workforce due to an international virus outbreak. No matter how professional you are as a person, there is only so much you can do.

As a company, they might have brought more people in to help once it became clear they couldn’t handle the load, but at what cost? These people would need to be trained / schooled, and might also not be up to par for the job at hand, whether it be design, production, or communication. In a sense they did do something of the sort by training their support staff to be able to field questions about the product, from defective samples to other issues.

I defend them as I see their struggle, having been there myself working at a company and having to deliver a product on time. I’ve seen major projects fail on something as simple as a secretary of the CEO not liking a product fully and voicing her opinion to her boss, whereas if she had been identified as a key player in the feedback and decision making she might have been kept in the loop of where we were taking the software and she might have had a better informed opinion.

Of course it feels easy for me to say all this as I already have mine, and am enjoying it daily. But if you’re really honest with yourself, it’s not the end of the world nor does it directly affect your life, health, financial stability, or happiness in life (I would hope not at least). If you put things in their proper perspective and try to be patient you’ll be happier in the end.

5 Likes

Some have, as they had a batch of 50 that they had a full inspection on, but 3 did not. Once those were found, they decided to check all units made at factory 1 again, reworking / fixing where needed.

They will be inspected on Monday, as per what @Philips_Support_N said.

Disclaimer: I commented with how I read and interpreted what @Philips_Support_N posted in the daily report. I could be wrong but that’s how I see things.

1 Like

Why don’t you get it that it’s impossible to give anyone a clear shipping date for anything at the moment?

Why don’t you understand that the whole process is much more than just you „buying“ that perk, someone building your PPM, then the same workers taking it to the post office, receiving a tracking number and of course updating you, and then after a few days some friendly delivery guy ringing at your door with a neat little projector?

Why are you posting your honest concern about the workers’ health status because of COVID-19, but at the same time aren’t able to see the bigger picture and to process what „state of emergency“ means?

State of emergency means chaos and not only in China but coming to half of the world these days, thanks to mass media, intercontinental flights and an overall lack of hand hygiene.

There are thousands of factories, businesses and (public) services in the need to get back on track and millions of people who need to find their way back to daily life. And all these businesses and services have billions of products to ship and contracts to fulfill. Seeing all this makes it easier to sort out between trillions of „super urgent !!!1“ stakeholder interests and the few really urgent ones.

So maybe right now none of the suppliers of components for the PPM knows when and in what count the workers will be back and how stable the supply chain (materials, logistics …) will be. – And so aren’t able to tell Philips/Screeneo/Chinese contractor anything specific.

Or maybe the forwarder doesn’t know when the local driver will be back for work or even if he’s alive. – And so isn’t able to tell Philips/Screeneo/Chinese contractor anything specific.

Or maybe DHL in China is in trouble rescheduling every tiny piece on their side and trying to sort all their stuff out regarding international shipping (getting crews and cargo/flight slots ready) and checking when different countries stop accepting inbound flights from China (which is changing maybe hourly?) and other dependencies to official decisions. – And so isn’t able to tell Philips/Screeneo/Chinese contractor anything specific. Or even DHL just tells them to be patient (shut the *$!% up) because they have much bigger issues.

Or – most likely – it’s a mixture of all these factors plus dozens more.

You see? – It’s so much bigger and the devil / virus is in the detail. And your neat little projector will have to go through so many (hopefully clean) hands in the meantime.

So how could any reasonable human being dare to give you more than vague information – but still update you with the numbers they truly know – in times when this kind of information could be outdated at the time of writing?

Nevertheless, someone whose life depends so much on a projector and – under the aforementioned circumstances – isn’t above such things, should urgently rethink his life. :microbe:

13 Likes

you are right

1 Like

thanks @Philips_Support_N !

I am standing up by complaining against what I believe is the right thing they should’ve done.

I do agree I am some what in a unique situation compared to the majority. I backed them at a very early stage and my order shipped a month ago, but due to a packaging error (as quoted by @Philips_Support_N) was sent back to the sender and due to a DHL error, it was sent back to Hongkong, instead of the EU dispatcher (I live in EU). They did agree to send a new one when I reported this a month ago. But what they should’ve done is show some evidence that they are doing something about my unique situation
Instead they gave this vague answer

Waiting on DHL for what exactly?
have their associate in HK or EU, sent DHL a new unit?
When did DHL say they will get back with answer for your query?
Given its been a month since my original complaint, I would like to see if they have a ticket open with DHL dealing with my specific problem.

Giving a bit more detail is an easy win for both of us and for a company like Philips, they should already know this. I am now convinced that they haven’t done squat about my issue and these answers I am hearing are just standard time wasting tactics

How naive are Philips, getting into crowdfunding without researching these things before hand and using ‘we are new to crowdfunding and have to answer to both our managers and to backer’ as an excuse for being sloppy.

I mean, if you are honest with yourself, it’s not the end of the world nor does it directly affect Philips, their company health or their financial stability or their happiness, if I point out the little things they could be doing better at, so people like me who at a similar situation get an honest answer.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_N If everything goes well, how soon can the auz backers shipment start?

3 autofocus issues out of 50 checked seems like a high error rate on a known issue. @Philips_Support_N are you continuing with only checking a sample of units, or can you check them all? I think everyone would be happy knowing that their unit won’t have this problem when it arrives.

2 Likes

From what I understand, because of this high percentage of errors on such a small sample they DID go back and check them all. Or they will on Monday as they move into last inspection before shipping. Either way, the Australian shipment should leave in the next few days if I’m understanding everything correctly.

1 Like

He’s not the sole individual supporting them, it’s just he does it so eloquently that there’s no point adding unnecessary messages.

5 Likes