General info about shipment and manufacturing

Thanks Tom for not taking this the wrong way, I was worried you might. It was just so funny that just after you posted that, the opposite was shown to be the case. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Individual status update requests

1 Like

Trying to find any proper information here is a real pain … You can’t force us to read everything but any proper support team:

1. provide a clear FAQ … There is none here. Discourse is not at all the proper way to provide this kind of thing …
  2. provide one-to-one support to answer would be better (Zendesk?) or at least a bot that can give updated status …
  3. if no one-to-one support can be provided, then at least some clear individual followup by email …

Clearly, a shipment status that don’t move for 2 weeks is not common… I receive package almost every day from chronopost, ups, fedex, la poste… Even packages from AliExpress arrives ! So I guess DHL is the bad guy in the room but still, you should do your part … Seing since how long all those shipment communication problems exists (since the start of first batch) then maybe Phillips could have invest in something a little more usefull than just an opensource discourse forum where we all try hard to find any proper information, without being able to find it.

So @IvoGrijt, it’s not about you, clearly, you do your work, but don’t put the blame on your customers who don’t read… Have you really tried to put the shoes of your customer, and try to find any information in thoses forums… It’s impossible. The blame is on Philipps which don’t really care to properly support us … And this is a shame for such a big brand.

So the summarize: i did read multiple post banneer, none of them adressing clearly my issue so I did a post … If you don’t like that your customers ask for informations publicly, provide private support. If you don’t like customers at all, then don’t sell anything …

5 Likes

I think is offensive to use the increased cost of shipping as an excuse not to delivery goods on time.
I know IndieGoGo and I know crowdfunding but I am shocked how Philips may manage it as it was really a microbrand, worried how margins would decrease while facing increased costs.
I am incredibly disappointed.

4 Likes

You (one person) receive one package at a time every day. So do I and many others.
Philips is sending hundreds if not thousands of devices with a big battery in bulk, you can’t compare that to our shipments of a few KG’s; shipping them in these quantities might not be as easy as ordering a few KG of goods via AliExpress. The customs might not even bother with my Rubiks cubes or projector screen shipment, but a huge shipment like this has to be inspected properly, and the customs are the only ones who decide when they’ll get around to doing it, there is literally nothing you, me, Philips, or DHL can do about that.

This is partly due to the fact that everyone keeps posting the same questions that are already asked and answered, or asking personal updates for which Philips has indicated not having the resources to answer individually.

To cope with this very problem we created a summary thread so nobody has to hunt down information but instead can find it in one convenient spot. You said you read it but nothing addressing your issue, so you made a post at 12:12PM CET today.
But the information you were seeking was already in the summary for April 21st, 6 days ago:

I’m not forcing anyone to read everything but if you said you read it, how come this does not address your issue?

And do note, I’m not being condescending or sarcastic here at all, as I’m the one curating the Summary thread so I genuinely want to know how come you did not see that as the answer to your query before you posted this question. Knowing this would help me perhaps to improve my presentation of the information.

These occurrences of the words you and your that I bolded, are they referring to me? Because I do not work for Philips but am a backer just like you, who just happened to have been appointed to moderate the forum due to my involvement and engagement in the community. So none of these really apply to me, and yes, I am in the shoes of the backer (not customer as so many keep seeing themselves), which is why I’ve also criticized certain aspects of the campaign and how it’s being run, before and after becoming moderator. But instead of just and only doing that, I also stepped up and helped others out, offering solutions to the information chaos at every opportunity I get, so Philips can focus on making these units and shipping them to us.

If the bolded words were meant for Philips, then it’s not a fair assessment, as they didn’t blame anyone for not reading, I stated my view on that. Blaming them for not supporting us properly I guess is your prerogative, if that’s how you feel then that’s how you feel. If they didn’t like their backers asking for information, they wouldn’t have created this forum or even spend any time on it. And if they didn’t want our commitment as backers, they wouldn’t even have run this campaign.

4 Likes

Ok so today, I received my new iPhone SE from Apple, made in China … How about that, do you really think that Philipps shipments are way bigger than Apple shipments and that it’s normal that Apple products arrives and not Philipps one? But you missed the point, the problem is not about how bad DHL is to handle the load where other shipment company do handle the load …

The problem is about the really bad way that Philips choose to communicate and yes the “you” is “philipps”. You personnaly are helpfull, but Philipps after taking millions, could put a little more money in supporting bakers… My 2 cents… Let’s see what happens next. No need to answer

6 Likes

Actually quite the contrary, I think Apple’s shipments are so big, that they can charter the whole plane, pay extra for priority handling of the whole planeload which is going to them first (one recipient) before being distributed out of their warehouse(s), and have them in your hands way sooner.

That the communication could be better is not missed by me, in fact I have myself commented on this many times before
What I have tried to do to mitigate this as much as I can is to help users seeking info (even when it had already been asked and answered before, and not just telling them to “Use the search function!”), and to create a summary thread which I curate daily. I’ve also created a few walk-throughs and helped many users find solutions to their issues big or small.

Not much more I can do, calling Philips CEO’s and press like some suggest wouldn’t change anything for the positive I’m afraid.

Also, PhilipsNono himself has apologized for all the delays so far, yet that’s also not enough apparently.

2 Likes

There is always an excuse. As said before…

come on! you cannot say that Philips shipment has issues because it is bigger than Aliexpress ones (which go fine, because small) but smaller than Apple ones (which go fine, because huge).

you will always find a justification if this is your approach.

4 Likes

I can not? I just did! Can’t you see the logic behind it? You can’t catch plankton with a normal fishing net, nor a whale, but the goldfish won’t slip through. What justification do I need for this?

In life this is often exactly what happens. Those who are not employed or earn very little pay almost no taxes, the millionairs evade the taxes like pros, and the middle man and woman get the full brunt to bear.

Etc etc.

I understand your point… but I still think all this has not been managed by Philips company. Possibly a subsidiary, possibly a new acquisition, in any case, if a company with 18 billion revenues want you to have a projector to watch movies while visiting Easter Island they can have it sent to you in 20 hours.
Zero doubt on it.

3 Likes

How’s shipping going?
I would rather get a refund. Please I saw it’s possible!

2 Likes

Are you in this latest batch? You’re in Poland right?

Brilliant point @lorroberty.

Don’t forget that we have been interacting with someone who has taken great pains to emphasise he is independent and not from Screeneo. Which means that Screeneo can always disavow anything that he has stated.

Nevertheless, @Philips_Support_N (who claims to be from Philips) has just posted a few hours ago that they have received email confirmation from customs and that goods were released to UPS and DHL. Presume this means the German shipment. Not sure how that would be relevant for destinations not served from Germany, for example how a shipment supposed to be from the 2nd list issued on 2 April destined for Singapore from Hong Kong is still not delivered.

Hope you folks in Europe do get your shipment.

Hey @Philips_Support_N do you mean that the DHL that was in German Customs has been cleared? Is that the one supposed to be cleared tomorrow?

If that is the case then probably from tomorrow will have an update for individual tracking numbers! Hope that is the case!

1 Like

@Philips_Support_N do you have an explanation or an update about this?

2 Likes

Yes Armandos, that’s exactly the one, they cleared it a day earlier than they had previously indicated! Fingers crossed you’ll have yours by this weekend!
:crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

I think it’s perfectly understandable that they’re not taking up the bill for something completely unforeseen like that - although I think they should address it differently. If they calculated for, say, an average delivery costs of somewhere around 30, maybe 50 Euros of the 400-500€ contribution, depending on time of backing) and it now turns out to cost double, triple or more (there are various quotes floating around ranging from slightly under 100€ to more than 200€) for a sizeable number of people, then probably no mid-sized company could/should responsibly go ahead and say, well we’re going to come out with net loss on this, but whatever we’ll just cut our employees salary. In fact, I’d be quite annoyed if they went ahead doing that and then found out mid-way that they actually can’t afford it, have to go into administration and won’t be able to deliver the rest of the projectors. I hope their finances are more stable than this, but remember, this is not Philips, it’s a smaller company that has a brand licensing agreement.

That being said, I can see that it’s frustrating to have waited for quite a while already only to be told now that you still may have to wait for an indeterminate amount of time.
Given this, it would be good if they could offer the choice, at least to the people who can’t be delivered to, between waiting and getting their projector as soon as prices come down or to get a refund - or possibly the option of paying extra for the delivery, as some have offered, but I think it was mentioned here that there may be logistical problems with collecting the extra money. Plus I can already imagine the complaints about the fact that this would probably also mean that import taxes would be much higher, as they’d be calculated not on, say 439€ (or however much it is in $), but closer to 600€ or 700€.

I’d be curious to understand why they don’t offer a refund option for these cases - maybe their operational finances are indeed a bit tight at this point and they can’t risk to reduce their cash buffer by the amount of current losses that would incur? After all, they won’t be able to make new money by selling the device until production of backer devices is through, and then the general issues with logistics (and possibly also the crisis-related general drop in consumption) are probably not going to make it easier to make cash quickly. Anyway, just some naive speculation (going beyond what I think we could reasonably expect them to disclose, but maybe offering a possible perspective).

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification @IvoGrijt and your wish!

1 Like