HDMI-CEC Support

ahhh no CEC? This is reminiscent of my experiences with the xgimi aurora CC - earlier advertising promised chromecast and other ATV functions. wasn’t available when i bought it. I didn’t panic cause hey, could easily whack an HDMI AndroidTV in and…wham, no CEC. CEC makes controlling easy, it standardises power, volume, channels, play fx across…well any company and device that supports it. One remote to rule them all as the old poem goes. Not to mention the google home controls…god to think i almost lost out on that (big thx OP!).
I dont know of another protocol or control mechanism that can do this, do you?

So I’ll wait a few hours for a reply but i’d say i’m out, i’ll get my refund and sink my money into something that works for me but for the sake of the ppl hanging on here, please don’t give up on CEC!

cheers

L

1 Like

I’ve moved this topic to feature suggestions. Let’s put it to vote, we will investigate it if enough people demand.

5 Likes

I always use CEC with my TV and my Chromecast because it’s so helpfull to ask Google to shutdown the TV…
If poweron is not enough reliable (no pb with my TV since many years), then do at least poweroff …

2 Likes

@Philips_Support_P in addition to the power on stuff there is one thing I realy would like to see even more:

The possibility to CEC-Control a HDMI attached device for media-control.

With that in place, we could get rid of additional remotes f.e. a Blu-Ray Player, a FireTV oder maybe even AppleTV (Altough AFAIK Apple only supports the other way around).

I know that nearly all (?) TV Vendors are able to control a FireTV device which is connected directly to their device.

2 Likes

@Philips_Support_P can you comment on that from a technical point of view?

Looks like HDMI-CEC Support is on @Philips_Support_P’s list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Will be interesting to know, which HDMI-CEC Features in detail:

Just saw this and I realy realy hope they can avoid disabling CEC (!)

https://community.philipsprojection.com/t/software-update-v1-0-26-is-available-now/3932/72?u=schmufoo

2 Likes

It might be causing issues though.
But I agree, the issues should be looked at and solved ideally and only if not solvable be disabled.

1 Like

My CEC settings:

Where it says TV you should read PPM

Hi @IvoGrijt and @Philips_Support_P

Would like to revisit the CEC issue again. Happy that the CEC is working when I put appletv to sleep, the ppm turn off.

Please don’t enable ppm to turn on when hdmi has any kind of signal. It may not be stable and I don’t want ppm to turn on randomly without knowing.

Stuff I observe:

1. At times, PPM wakes up on itself (maybe like skynet and became self aware) and then turns itself off after few seconds.

2. At times when I turn on my appletv and then use the remote to turn on ppm, the projector immediately displays the appletv screen content (without going through the normal full reboot where you usually see the philips logo followed by the ‘picopix max’ wordings). After a few seconds, the ppm will switch off by itself (which I find annoying). I will have to use the remote to turn it on again. This time the Philips logo will appear and it will automatically enter into hdmi mode as we expected. After that it is working fine.

Hope point no. 2 above can be fixed soon.

1 Like

Wow, I haven’t seen this behavior myself yet, I’ll have to test for this configuration when I have a chance. Thanks for the feedback! :+1:t4:

Hi @ronaldtai, actually the Systems team informed me yesterday that they would like to disable CEC entirely as we’re not able to support the full feature set reliably. It’s always been the case from the start, since the HDMI goes directly into the V56 chip, and that firmware is not upgradeable. I had asked the team to enable CEC anyway, but it’s clearly not stable. I continue to follow this topic and check with the team what they can do to improve.

1 Like

Oh please don’t disable the CEC feature. It’s not that I am complaining but just reporting it has some peculiar behavior which is slightly bothersome but not critical. It worked like a charm every time when I turn off my AppleTV and ppm turn off by itself. That is working 100%.

So please, don’t disable this wonderful feature. I can live with it. Thanks!

4 Likes

Ok noted.

please don’t can cec, i turned down a very cheap but very functional xgimi halo (with Google tv etc) and didn’t request a refund on my super late picopix because Philips did decide to implement CEC. i don’t want to go through a refund, i JUST got it!:confused:

1 Like

so it seems that one of my most wanted features, hdmi cec functionality, doesn’t work on my Picopix. I’ve tried three different cec devices with three different cables , verifying them on my caiwei ( hdmi cec compatible) pocket projector. I’ve turned the three different CEC modes on on both devices ( have tried most if not all combinations), add will add switching on and or off developer mode on my source devices, and my ppm.

am running 1.027 (didn’t try 1.026, upgraded add soon as i got my ppm device on the network).

I’ve tried resetting to factory defaults but can’t figure out how to roll back my firmware.

any suggestions, any help?

besides that am pretty impressed with my ppm!

(btw, source device(s) : Xiaomi mibox 3 (primarily)…and mibox 4

cheers

Leigh

Have you checked the CEC settings in the PPM Hidden Android menu?

Edit: after re-reading what you wrote, it seems you did.
What did you want to have happen, automatic power control or media control also?

1 Like

media control mostly…

2 Likes

hi all, my hdmi CEC is not working, (hasn’t worked since i received it about 4 weeks ago). i had almost cancelled my order as the chromecast and other Android tv allowing ease of smart home integration were no longer included and there was no CEC sorry allowing for ease of smart home integration included.

i was ecstatic when i found out it would be available… but now totally disappointed as i suspect it may be a return. I’ve turned on all combinations of the CEC controls in both the ppm and my cec devices (Xiaomi miboxes), replaced all hdmi cables, turned off developer mode on both devices (have also tried a plethora of dev mode options on both devices) , and verified CEC works on my other CEC compatible projector. oh yeah have factory reset it, as well as trying it on both 1.027 and 1.029.

can anyone suggest anything else? any tests i can run perhaps? i can’t identify anything in the rockchip tests but my translator seems to be a bit…off. i do feel that the plugs are quite stuff, and the case potentially too loose so perhaps it’s a connection problem…i really really don’t want to return it as it’s been such a long time coming… and for the most part the test of the machine seems great.

thx!!

1 Like