Image quality subjective review

I don’t expect high fidelity, but having compared Nebula products to the likes of the Mogo PRO, Anker nailed “good enough” sound quality from it’s internal speaker. The Capsule II speaker blows the average joe away with how good it is in a device so small. That said, it will not compare to my Sony BT speaker, or any other dedicated device, but it’s great for one device type setup on the go. Now the PPM size has to be doubled when transporting due to the need to get a BT speaker.

Wide open curtains, full Colorado daylight, presentation mode. White spot to the right is a 200lm flashlight from same distance as the PPM (~3m).

Curtains closed, still in presentation mode, same flashlight.

2 Likes

There’s a reason cinemas show movies in the dark. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@anon7411189 well sadly, then it is tough luck for you, because small form factor projectors with that functionality do not exist on the market yet. Let me ask you a question, did you ever own a projector, and used one, if you have then you would never expect that results from PPM.

Philips is using parts available on the market not inventing new things, just trying to build best from what is available out there. Indiegogo campaign has helped them to build enough products to afford a lower price for what is installed.

Whenever you invest into something you first go and research before you invest, if you did that you would well know what you can get and what 800 lumen means. They did not say 3200 lumen, or 6000 lumen. So talking ads that show bright picture in daylight does not pass by me. 30 minute research would have given you your answer. 800 lumens can never covert into 6000 by magic :slight_smile: only by money and bigger projector :slight_smile:

Also, you can get a brighter image from this projector, you just need to invest another 300-400 into special screen that will reflect the light properly not allowing sidelight from the window to enter the screen. But then it is no longer a mobile solution.

4 Likes

I am envious. I can’t get a clear image no matter what. I sent photos of my and Phillips tech agreed it was pixelated.

1 Like

If you are able to get pixelation to show up in photos, that’s got to be pretty bad. Again with huge image size you can see it, but from a reasonable viewing distance for the size is really hard to perceive.

3 Likes

The usual setup for this, regardless of projector, would be to run the hdmi from bluray player to soundbar or surround sound receiver, then send the picture out from there to the TV or projector.

2 Likes

I’m impressed that it’s visible at all at that size under those lighting conditions to be honest, very interesting test!

The spec-sheet of the PPM’s SoC states that it can decode h265 at profile main10, level 5.1 and tier high".
Is it possible that you x265-encoded file goes above the maximum allowed level at times?

Thanks a lot for this very interesting “real-life” review. Cheers

It is not worth trying to reason with him (@anon7411189) as the only thing he does here on the forum is to spread hate and disappointment. His expectations were simply unrealistic and playing dumb act against a promotional video.
If you want to see something from any projector (or screen) it just has to exceed significantly the amount of light the other source has (ie sun or room lights).
Very simple.

3 Likes

Working on trying to find a pattern in file type, bit rates, or anything that would strongly correlate to “is jerky” or “is smooth” reproduction. I still suspect something in the image processing to feed the DMD is hiccupping, but I can’t definitively prove that.

Eagerly awaiting 1.0.25 to see if anything improves with that as well.

We made a video showing the Brightness with 1.0.25 in different environment. Hope you watched it

Reminder: Please be civil to each other and avoid personal attacks.

2 Likes

It’s not the brightness I am concerned about, it is whether there are dropped frames or jerkiness in motion…

I do not find the YouTube videos of upcoming fraud that useful, really.

@fhteagle great work so far! Is there anyway you can see if this jerkiness exists on HD sports? Since my unit is so pixelated, watching nba and nhl games exacerbated this so I can’t get a good idea. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t have any HD sports subscriptions, and my rural wireless ISP isn’t the greatest. If you want to take a recording and filedropper.com it to me I can certainly check the playback.

A couple more example images. It really is a baffling mix of sharp and blocky when you get up close. The math says that with a ~1.8m vertical, 1080 pixels should be about ~2mm tall. I didn’t measure precisely but my “eye calipers” tell me the blocks are about 2x that size. Could the algorithm for keystone correction / zoom be improved to make for less “expanded square” look I wonder?

Do you use any kind of correction? If you do those calculations are not right. With pico projectors the only way to correct the image is digital. It is as if you use digital zoom on your phone’s camera. You probably won’t be happy with the result but there is no way to put some Cannon 50-300mm optics on your phone. Same here - the size and price do not allow to have optical correction. And digital will always damage the image in some way. The more correction needed, the more damage on the image quality.

1 Like