image ratio with automatic keystone and HDMI

With HDMI source and keystone correction image ratio is not what it should be, image is taller than it should. Circles are ellipses, people thinner than they should etc.

Since screen adjustments do not work with external sources, this can not be corrected if the source has no over- / underscan correction.

I wish I had noticed this while I still could have refunded the item, but it’s long gone now. Probably unrepairable with software updates.

It sounds like a problem from your source, not from the ppm.

The aspect ratio of the source connected is probably 4:3
Try to set it to 16:9

This is truly a problem with ppm. It actually also occurs natively, but there is a setting to correct ratio within android, but it does not apply to external source. So internally it is nearly as it should be, externally not so. Source ratio is correct, it’s not even nearly that far off, it’s quite exactly 16:10. You can see this in image attachment, the white area in screen is spot on 16:9. No source attached, so it can’t be source. If you look carefully, you can see that the circle is actually projected as ellipse.

Image adjustments limited to native os is wrong way to do things. I don’t actually understand why settings limitations is hw issue, as Philips has stated, when auto keystone is anyway done in sw, but I’m not an expert, so we don’t need to go there, I can easily accept that I don’t understand.

1 Like

@PhilipsNono, @Philips_Support_P, any thoughts of this?

This is very disappointing. No answers here, no answers for my email. Support is indeed very very bad. A relative of mine always says: “Do not mix electricity and Philips.” I should have listened to him.

Hi @ayni this is a very peculiar issue that we are unable to reproduce. The picture should be 16:9 and the circle should be circular, not oval.

Here’s an unedited photo I just took with all corrections disabled:

The circle is as expected. So it’s definitely not a general problem.

Only 4-corner correction and digital zoom are unavailable on HDMI and USBC inputs. The automatic or manual vertical keystone is still enabled. Please check your Image Settings, Keystone section if you have any of them turned on, in particular the Automatic Keystone which is enabled by default. I believe this is what’s stretching the image.

Please perform a calibration as the first step to troubleshoot this issue:

You might find the other articles about keystone calibration useful.
Let us know if this solves the problem.

Hi

I have calibrated the keystone. Several times, without any help. It doesn’t even make sense, uncalibrated keystone correction should give trapezoid image, not only wrong ratio. If projector is level, screen ratio is OK, but the more I tilt the projector (i.e. the more the keystone correction), the more the ratio is off. Same with automatic and manual keystone, no difference there.

I can’t use this without the keystone correction, can’t place it anywhere.

Hi @ayni, the last thing to try is a factory restore. Can you please try and see if that fixes the problem?

I’m not able to test this until next week. I’ll return with results then.

@Philips_Support_P unfortunately factory reset didn’t help. Screen ratio is still off.

@Philips_Support_P How long do I need to wait for a reply this time? Last time it took over a month, see if you can do better this time.

Is there anyone, who can speed this process up? This is ridiculous.
@Philips_Support_P @IvoGrijt @Philips_Support_T @Philip_Durnford @Philips_Support_N

1 Like

Same issue here. Oval cirkel when using ceiling projection with keystone.
And this happens when using youtube (so no HDMI).

Yes, this is systemwide problem, but since the OS has means to correct this, it is mostly relevant with external sources. Of course, if you use your PPX constantly in different locations it is tedious to always change settings for something that should work automatically.

Don’t hold your breath while waiting to get some support. Over three months later my issue is still unsolved. Latest email I got from Screeneo was nearly a month ago and it was still in “try updating the software” kind of thing. No actual assessment of the issue itself. I think that even pure scammers offer better support than Screeneo.