INFO: How to improve internal video picture quality?

Can we have a few pre set settings for selection in future updates? Like a regular tv for different use situations, for example
Movie, Dynamic, Gaming etc then Custom for saving manually adjusted settings

Hi @ThunderStrk, first of all the settings described in this thread will compensate for the gamma curve of the internal Android video vs. the other external inputs. So these adjustments make it linear, they should not be further adjusted. This is why we burnt it as default since SW v1.0.27 onwards.

If you’d like to adjust the picture, you should use the Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Sharpness settings within the normal Settings app. These will be applied on top of the ‘corrected’ values from this tweak.

We do have 3 brightness modes Energy Saver (Eco), Normal and Presentation, but they’re not exactly colour modes as you’re looking for. However a “looks” feature is coming out soon (it has been a beta feature for a while), that should help you achieve the look you want.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P, regarding the above statement, are you saying that with v1.0.27, the recommended settings (as in this picture below) has already been preset?

https://community.philipsprojection.com/uploads/default/cf1c306158f1cf466c10b158c458870d3583b11c

Yes

2 Likes

Great looking forward to it

Hi
Since latest updates do we have to reset these manual adjustment?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Groovycelt, no, please keep your settings. The latest updates only apply these settings by default for those who have not tweaked it already.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for your quick answer
Stay safe

I applied 1.1.02 after I received the machine (from 1.0.26), but these settings are not baked in for me. Is the advanced settings screen supposed to look like in your pictures, with brightness and contrast off center? Or are the baked-in settings the new center positions? Because they’re centered on mine, and the picture is off as described here (and confirmed on the lagom.nl test image).

I tried manually setting to the positions displayed here, and while shadow detail returns, so does banding. It’s a washed-out look that looks just as off as the first one, only in a different way. Which one is correct?

1 Like

This is the correct setting:

Set it while using energy saver or normal Brightness please.

4 Likes

What does everyone have their image settings at? I’ve been messing about and now I cant make out certain words when I highlight them.

Hi everyone, don’t guess what’s right or wrong. Please use:

8 Likes

@Philips_Support_P is there anything that can be done about picture quality settings for HDMI? As of this moment, HDMI is oversharpened the same way internal looks at 50. Internal is fine at 0. I haven’t gotten around to taking measurements in either mode, but the colors and gamma look way off. The image looks at once too bright in the brighter tones, too dark in the darker tones and weak in the middle, making midrange color look pale. This goes for both external and internal video.

I signed up for beta (not in yet), so maybe the looks feature helps here.

2 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: PPM Color Calibration Primer

Same for me. Had to tweak internal (hidden) settings on 1.104 to achieve the desired black levels.

Presentation mode is still unusable for me because of the introduced color tint which could not yet adjust properly due to missing options.

While this thread is ancient history now, I’m having this exact problem with a new replacement projector on version 1.3.3. Could this be the same issue?