INFO: Limitations of features for HDMI and USB-C inputs

Id be quite interested in this one too!

@Philips_Support_P regarding the Digital Zoom feature, what does this setting from the hidden menu do for HDMI input sizing if anything?

This is the same as digital zoom (for internal Android only). Except that you can adjust x and y independently.

1 Like

will the zoom function stay when switch to hdmi ?
or 4 corner settings ?

if use this as stationary on a shelf that cant be moved.

Hi @Carljohan_Selke,

No, these settings don’t stay when switching to HDMI.
It’s due to hardware limitations.
Have a look at the first article of this thread here :

In HDMI, you have the “raw” picture, without the ability to tweak it as you can do when playing internal content or movies within Android apps.

Then i cannot use is as stationära because i need change the zoom and use HDMI because of my home Cinema sound whitout that its useless for me :frowning:

To be clear. This setting is in hidden menu “HDMI input sizing”, but is not related to HDMI? (still digital zoom is not available for HDMI) Is that correct?

1 Like

Is there a specific cable for either the HDMI or USB-C?

Tried my usbc to projector and got a ‘no signal’.
Used the USB-C that came with projector and worked brilliantly.

Tried plugging into hdmi, only to get a ‘no signal’ once again.

USB-C cables and adapters can be really confusing, and will be quite a while longer until USB4 gets enough traction.

For video to work over USB-C you have to use a cable which is SuperSpeed capable (so called “full featured” cables, see USB-C - Wikipedia). The cable shipped with the PPM is such a cable. USB-C cables primarily intended for charging are often called “high-speed” (which refers to the USB 2.0 speed 480Mbps) or “charging only”, those cables are not capable of carrying video.

Most any HDMI cable will work for 1080p video. In your case I think that the mini docking station isn’t fully compatible with the Switch, have you managed to get HDMI working with another display with that setup? If I understand it correctly the Switch is fairly picky about supporting video output without the dock, but a full featured USB-C cable directly from the Switch to the PPM works great.

5 Likes

Cheers for the help mate, much appreciated

2 Likes

What is this hidden menu for HDMI that you are showing screenshots of @IvoGrijt?? Thanks!

How do we get any display settings like keystone once hdmi input is on?

Don’t tell me you have to do it from the AndroidOS menu.

I won’t tell you then.

Vertical keystone is automatic, so no need to go into Android for keystone settings.

All other image settings can be accessed for the Android OS only. A systemwide overlay menu is on the feature roadmap, but not there yet.

3 Likes

Although I bought the PPM for outdoor movies, I am hoping to use it occasionally as an indoor projector. I’ve tried sending the sound to my AV amp via Bluetooth but the delay is too bad. Can I send out the audio via HDMI when using the internal apps?

The HDMI and USB-C Video ports are used for input only, so sound output via HDMI will not work. You can use the 3mm audio-out / headphone jack for the audio to your Amp.

2 Likes

Thanks @IvoGrijt. Do you know if a USB-C to HDMI adaptor would work for audio out?

Like I said,

No adapter will change that. Perhaps a USB-A sound card with HDMI output could work, if something like that even exists and has the drivers for it on Android.

Something like this would work much better in my opinion:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8KO2

Doh! Sorry, I thought that there was sound and video on the USB-C port. Did I see HDMI-CEC mentioned somewhere? Anyway, Thanks for the clarification @IvoGrijt.

I’ll try HDMI input and position the PPM carefully so that I get a nice rectangular picture.

1 Like

@Dedohamdy here is the clarification