Internet speed bottleneck

So I have been trying to get my PPM to take advantage of my high speed broadband but it seems like there is some sort of hardware or software bottleneck preventing it from doing so. Out of 350mbps of available bandwidth, the PPM only uses around 24mbps. Pics for comparison - one from PPM and another from my iPhone lying next to each other which eliminates range issue.

I guess in practice it doesn’t make a difference because 24mbps is enough for what the projector needs to do but I am curious why this is happening. This is in 5g channel and the 2g channel is way slower (around 4mbps). I also tried a factory reset but nothing changed. Also I am running the latest version of OS.

1 Like

How’s local bandwidth?

1 Like

Not sure what you mean but it’s a gigabit router and can designed to go upto 867mbps on 5g. All the other devices (on wifi and ethernet) can use all of broadband except PPM.

I mean transfer speeds on your local network from and to PPX620. The bottleneck could be anywhere. By excluding the internet provider we could get a better idea where it is. I had a problem the other day where a server on a 1Gbps line was slow. Both the server and the internet line showed full speed in separate tests. The bottleneck ended up being between the server and the router. I was getting all of 15Mbps.

1 Like

Hi there, I got over 230mbit with the 5 GHz WiFi. I use the Ookla speed test. Could you kindly install and try the Ookla? Or share your test method? Cheers

2 Likes

And btw tonite Amazon Video wasn’t fluent, so I downloaded my preferred serie with ‘best quality’ option in less than 1 minute due the high speed available. I think AWS streaming ist faulty tonite.

1 Like

Apologies for the later reply, busy weekend. Finally had a chance to download this app ‘Analiti - speed test’, and it shows the PPM is at 200-300mbps of download speeds. However the google speed test on Firefox still only shows max 30mbps download speed. This means you are right @Superalbix, it was merely an issue of using the right test method. However I used the google speed test which should be reliable…
This leads to another question, is the bottleneck present somewhere between the OS and the Firefox? And if so, is there a similar issue for some other apps as well? Because I only ran the test when one of my apps was not downloading movies at full speed (max 1mbps).

1 Like

Can you try Firefox Focus app?

1 Like

I didn’t know about analiti, very cool app, thanks! Other test via web is fast.com by Netflix, try it! The Google speed test for my understanding uses US servers.cheers

1 Like

Speedtest.net is one I often use, always against the same nearby server. They also have an app.

1 Like

Alright did a few more tests and it’s very interesting how different apps are getting different speeds on the same tests -

• Ookla speed test app - 239mbps down

• Speedtest.net on Firefox - 45mbps down

• Speedtest.net on Firefox Focus app - 79 mbps down

• Analiti speed test app - 190mbps down

• Finally, speedtest.net on my iPhone lying next to the projector on the same wifi - 203mbps down

Pictures here for reference.

Please note that I did these tests with projector in the same location within a period of 5 minutes. Now there could be various reasons for this discrepancy. Maybe the dedicated apps just somehow find a better server to test against. Maybe there is a low level software issue which lets some apps use all of the bandwidth, but limits the others. Maybe it’s just Firefox trying to be clever but ending up being stupid. Or maybe I am missing something very simple. It’s definitely worth looking into @Philips_Support_P.

1 Like

Internet is a fickle mistress. If Ookla goes up to 239mbps then PPM is clearly using 5ghz and capable of high speeds. How traffic is routed from your router/ISP to the test server is another matter unrelated to the projector and a factor you have no influence over.

For example, ISPs love to oversell speeds of hundreds of megabits per second, but almost no server you connect to will allow a single user to use as much speed. Also the further away you are from the destination then bigger the loss (more routers, switches etc between you and the server always cost speed and time).

2 Likes