iPhone, iOS and the PPM

Hello, if we use SmartYoutube there is no issues on our Max, if you select 4K yes it will stutter.
Did you check the resolution?

@Philips_Support_N
Hello, I am almost the same situation as others. I am using PPM in Japan. And I can connect Airplay from the iPad but I cannot see any apps contents. just black screen and don’t start any content. What is the cause of this problem? region or adjustment for iOS??

Below is the more detail situation

From iPad
youtube: work
amazon prime:slight_smile: doesn’t work
Hulu ( for Japan): doesn’t work

From Mac book mirroring the main screen
Upper site works from google chrome

Also, all pre-installed apps in PPM don’t work in Japan. I try to use Amazon prime, but it doesn’t work, it doesn’t start the contents… I cannot click in each content…

Hope you update the software for Asia region, too!
Thanks,

I tested using Smart YouTube on the PPMax to play 4K 60fps video is smooth. No problems with it.

I connected my iPad Pro with your PPM USB C and played Spiderverse. While the video played fine, I had no sound. Any suggestions?

Same with me. No sound with iPad Pro and USB C, using the USB C cable that came with the PPM

Although this thread is making me nervous about the lack of ‘seamless’ iOS integration, we should all remember that some of the limitations here are not caused on the Philips side, but on the Android side or the vendor of the App. For instance see this article from the Verge that shows that Netflix has killed Airplay support from their iOS app altogether:

and as you can see on Netflix’ own support page:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49

This means that airplay-ing a Netflix show is not only impossible from iOS to the Picomax but impossible from iOS to ANY 3rd party device (TV, Mediaset, streaming devices etc): even Apple’s own AppleTV device (so Airplaying Netflix from iOS to iOS is not even allowed/possible anymore).

@Philips_Support_P @Philips_Support_N One more thing I realized that I thought would be possible on the PPM…

I thought we would be able to listen in on TWO sets of bluetooth headphones. Was this or is this still the plan or am I completely wrong on this one? For example, if my wife and I are both trying to listen on our airpods, only one of us can listen at a time although we both have synced our Airpods to the PPM. Can it only transfer audio to one bluetooth source at this time? Is this something a future update may correct?

Thanks!

3 Likes

You’re not wrong. Please see this post for more info about this topic.

1 Like

Just sad. I was so looking forward to cast and watch my purchased movies from apple via pico. So this is an ios or specific app limitations. Can Philips then Make a wider selection of apps for direct download make it native to the projector. I use for example Hoopla (digital library software for free movies)not just the subscription type video stream services. Speaking of which can you post how to videos on the VPN and VLC on the unit? Thank you!

You can download the apps you need from the Aptoid store. We don’t want Philips to fill the PPM with apps most of us won’t use.

1 Like

when usung the usb-c cable and watching video from ipad pro, the sound only comes via the internal ppx speakers not the bluetooth speakers. (work fine with internal apps) any solution to that?

No solutions unfortunately
INFO: Limitations of features for HDMI and USB-C inputs

2 Likes

I’ve been testing the PPM with my iPhone XS using the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter. Generally, everything works (Disney+, YouTube, Prime Video), however there are two issues:

1. AppleTV+ - Sometimes the video plays, other times it does not and shows the error “The connected display is not authorized to play protected movies”. When it does play, there is no audio, only video.

2. Netflix - No audio is played during content, but trailers and promos do play audio.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts is that the internal DAC of PPM doesn’t support some audio formats that Lightning to HDMI adapter outputs. (HDCP works, thus there is video playing.)

My PPM doesn’t play audio when it is connected to my Philips blu-ray player (Audio output setting = Linear PCM) too.

So far I’m using an extra adapter which will output audio from HDMI for workarounding this issue. it’s like Lightning to HDMI adapter -> The extra adapter (w/ miniplug cable connecting to speaker) -> PPM.

1 Like

the only solution is to use a Apple tv (like i do). don’t expect to ever mirror or airplay drm content on this device or others that promise you that, it’s just not possible. get a cheap appletv (gen 3 is enough, it’s under 50$ here) and use it for airplay if you want that

EDIT: i still understand why OP is feeling cheated. Philips should mention this as not everyone understand tech aspects like these

3 Likes

i did connect my macbook pro with USB-C and it’s not working

It works with my MacBook Pro 2016.
Do you use a correct USB-C cable? A lot of them are good for data and/or power connect, but not for video.

did that with a gen 9 appletv and its a different world! only that for whatever reason, appletv ios has no vpn app in the store …

this cable works for video (self tested!) USB C auf USB C Kabel 60W Ladekabel - 4K @60Hz 5Gbps USB 3.1 Typ C Video Transfer Kabel, Schnellladekabel - kompatibel für MacBook, MacBook Air (1.8M): Amazon.de: Musikinstrumente

Hi Philips,

I think I understand. Maybe just say it simply and clearly (computer says no!). There is no way to use apple tv app via iPhone and PicoPix max together to stream content you have bought.

Therefore the statement that the product is apple ready (or whatever wording) is actually misleading for the main use case. Honestly i do not know why you would connect your phone to the projector if not for streaming content. I mean come on, how often do you need to project your pictures to a group of people etc?

The only real reason to connect is to stream content and it cannot do this.

There is not even the apple tv app on the device! So it means the “apple readiness” is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Sorry i like the product and I appreciate its apple being apple, but perhaps the marketing team need to take an L on this one and change the statement regarding apple; as it provides the wrong impression. As a result people waste their time trying to solve it, only to have to search on forums to find out the real situation.

Merry Christmas (finish the statement with the classic home alone quote :wink:!) :do_not_litter::warning::dog::fox_face::tiger::frog::monkey::lion::panda_face::rabbit::paw_prints: