It's here! - First Impressions and Thoughts

? It does, but you have to pair it - crucial info missing in Quick Start Guide

2 Likes

Try these steps:

And please come up with things that are still missing from this list. I will create a fresh wiki thread

2 Likes

Hey Mike thanks for the heads up on that! :smiley: A quick question? Is there an iOS app for controlling the PPM?

1 Like

no apps available yet! You can vote for one here: Control PPMax with a dedicated App

1 Like

Hi Imdevu,

Thanks for handy tips and links, looking forward to hooking up my PPM to Switch and playing MarioKart :checkered_flag: :racing_car: :dash: :dash:

2 Likes

I would request you to update your experience in the first thread here also:

What I did to setup the PPM?

Hopefully will add value to others as well.

2 Likes

Sure happy to help :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah! My PPM arrived today and at first sight I’m quite impressed for a pico projector.
Picture quality in normal mode is good.
Haven’t done much yet, just updating, playing some Youtube, casting my phone and it works nice.
For now, the wait was worth it. :slight_smile: :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s working like a charm, Setup was easy enough, first time running the software update it stopped at 16% but i’m guessing it was my wifi connection… a cancel and 2nd attempt solved it with no issues.
aIRmote works well, Tried the Netflix app without issues, remembered to not update it :wink:
Looking forward to using it more, it is indeed a sleek looking projector that you really want to keep fingerprint free but i guess that’s something we have to live with if we want to hold it with love.
I think it was worth the wait :slight_smile:

2 Likes

why not update the netflix app? i already did and worked fine. have i missed out on something by updating it?

Yep, the updated version doesn’t have full HD resolution. The Netflix app that comes preinstalled is a special, patched version. If you want to restore it, please delete the Netflix app and install it again using the placeholder that appears when you delete it. And then remember to not update the app.

2 Likes

My late “Xmas gift” arrived yesterday and I had just very little time for it in office.

First impressions:

• there are few things missing in the Quick Start Guide - First time use instructions (let it fully charge or meh?), Airmote BT pairing
  • Airmote OK/pointer click confirmation and navigation together with UI could use a lot… but like a hell lot of improvement (diplomatically speaking) - for example when I got Apple TV remote into the hand it was intuitive like everything from Apple (and I don’t prefer or use Apple products)
  • I was bit afraid of multi WiFi issue @IvoGrijt discovered as we are using multi-ssid environment ourselves and above that there are lot of strong signals from neighbors but it was not issue at all.
  • Aptoide store should be replaced with something functional (with working apps only, without double installation confirmation, without initial installation permission requirement settings, some of (not working) apps installed using Aptoide could be uninstalled from Aptoide others must be removed from PPM launcher?!. etc )
  • bundled tripod is IMHO not worth the carbon footprint it created - I found much useful the box in which the PPM came to use as much stable (and horizontal) stand
  • It looks like I don’t like my PPM but that’s not true :slight_smile: the picture is very nice and it’s quiet. It meets my expectations. I pointed out the first negative impressions because I think and hope it could be improved - apart for tripod for me - we don’t have OTA technology for that ATM :frowning: :slight_smile:
5 Likes

just sorted this. thanks or the tip.

What’s a good example of netflix content to test the full HD resolution of the pre-installed app?

Got mine delivered yesterday and am very happy with it. Picture quality is good, even in broad daylight. Sound quality is ok. Tested it with youtube, netflix and amazon prime.

Some nitpicking points.

• Had to look in the forums why the remote wasn’t working after following the quickstep guide, only to find out that I had to pair it manually.
  • forgot that I shouldn’t update Netflix ( a habit to always update) and did it immediately after which it didn’t load anymore. Then did as is said multiple times in the forum by uninstalling it and clicking on the tile to reinstall, but this doesn’t work. Had to do a complete factory reset to get it again. Also the 4 directional/ok buttons don’t always work (especially while the video plays) but the pointer works fine.
  • fan noise is loud, can’t imagine what it was before the update. Fan looks to be blowing constantly at full speed, as I can sometimes hear it slowing down and getting quieter.
  • Preinstalled Amazon Prime app won’t load video’s, I keep getting returned to the home screen after clicking on play. Also very slow, takes more than to 3 minutes to get to the picture quality settings and the tiles remain black instead of showing the titles.
    Today I noticed that I could download another version of the Amazon Prime app in Aptoide, this app works perfectly and also very fluidly.
  • Regarding the apps on the aptoide store, not every app that is shown as compatible works.
  • Miracasting from my S10 works better than using airplay from my Iphone and ipad which doesn’t show any video. Had to look it up, probably drm related.
2 Likes

Hi, you can check the netflix test patterns.

1 Like

Hi, regarding Amazon prime it may be that you have to update the app via the Aptoide store (this one you can update :wink: ). I had similar issues yesterday (haven’t tried playing anything yet, but after updating I did get regular previews etc.).

1 Like

I had a very similar experience but did however remember the Netflix caveat and all works fine. Really enjoying the product so far (work productivity has suffered massively today). Going to test the ps4 via HDMI tonight for some Warzone

1 Like

All apps (except Netflix and mxpro) have been updated in the aptoide store. Have also force stopped the app and deleted the cache, but nothing seemed to help. Only then did I notice that the recommended amazon primevideo app in the aptoide store wasn’t installed. Tried it as a last resort (before a new factory reset) and this app works fine.

So now I have two amazon primevideo apps on my home screen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, that’s a strange glitch indeed! For me it was just about updating the Prime video app. Glad you got yours working as well, albeit with a confusing icon duplication.

Got my unit today! (Backerid 14xxx, transport batch: Betty, country of residence: Sweden).
Everything seem to work, the picture is better than expected, albeit a bit “washed-out”. Maybe I can tune this later. Found the S-Youtube app difficult to understand, it starts by asking you to pick a launcher(!). Then it has a number of different ways to let you connect to your account, but none of them seem easy to get to work. I also tried to change language to swedish, but that didn’t work. Netflix works as expected. Next I will try to connect external sources such as a PC.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks Philips/Screeneo!

Edit: After a second round of testing, I can now confirm that pairing with a BT speaker works very well indeed. I’ve tried three different speakers and all work well without a noticable lag between sound and picture. One of them required that I went into the Android settings to pair it. It didn’t show up in the Philips settings dialogue for some reason. Once that was taken care of, it works very well (it is an Earfün speaker). I also tested showing a video stored on a USB stick. Worked as it should, however the MX-player seem to have its own volume control controlled by the up and down arrows - in addition to the Android volume controlled by the dedicated buttons on the remote. Confusing!

I also tried connecting my laptop using the supplied USB-C cable to display it’s screen. Worked flawlessly. Even more impressed today. (And I’ve tried a number of portable and stationary projectors before this one).

3 Likes