Launcher v1.4.0 alpha- need feedback on battery time remaining

I did some testing last night, and put some data in a sheet:

The gray “Start-End” line is the linear, mathematical prediction line extrapolating from the start of battery-powered operations to the actual shutdown moment

The blue “Remaining time” line plots the remaining time as indicated on the launcher screen against the battery percentage indicated.

The orange “Deviation” line plots the deviation of the predicted time from the actual shutdown time, against the battery percentage indicated.

I performed a FW update to 1.0.29 between 00:26 and 00:33, which most likely accounts for the wonky datapoints around that time. For the rest of the night I used Kodi to watch some 480p content streaming from my Synology NAS using a 5GHz WiFi network, while listening to the audio via Sony WH-1000XM3 BT headphones.

The graph shows that initially the predictions are a bit off, and as usual get better as the battery level drops further.

6 Likes

I have also made some measures today. Quite consistent with @IvoGrijt insights.
Mine were done with normal mode, 1.0.29, playing Netflix (5GHz wifi) and muted. Battery last 2h47min

Estimated remaining time tends to be a bit higher than actual remaining time.

3 Likes

You guys @IvoGrijt & @ferreiros rocks :+1: !

In my opinion, it would be better to have a prediction which is a little bit more pessimistic than the reality :
Nobody will be frustrated to have a little bit more juice than predicted, but the contrary will maybe interrupt a cool experience and worry people…

2 Likes

Thanks for the super useful testing, guys! You’re awesome!

So it seems there’s consistent overestimation in the beginning, which gets more accurate towards the end. I’ll adjust the slope and send another update.

3 Likes

Yes I know. Those two are made by 2 different teams. The launcher team has more designers, the settings team has more engineers…

Good point. The BACK button, which is not used in the launcher now, is being used in the beta to show a quicker-settings bar.

2 Likes

@Philips_Support_P can you reupload the APK? I’m facing more and more weird behavior in battery mode and would like to test a bit more:

A few minutes ago I started again a Netflix Video (battery icon showed 2 “bars”) and 2 minutes later the PPM shut down immediately. This happen so often that it doesnt feel normal.

1 Like

@SchmuFoo here you go: https://we.tl/t-Lr19fjjGob

2 Likes

Thanks just tried to install but got:

“There was a problem parsing the packet.”

The download might’ve been corrupted? I installed it yesterday and it’s working for me, so the uploaded file most likely is not the issue.

It was an old defective USB Stick, thanks!

Just wondering now if you also still see an old launcher version number?

Same here, “136 hr 31 min remaining” with 72% Charging Capacity :slight_smile:

I set the “Launcher Beta” to the default Launcher:

When I power off or on the PSU the PPM projection went off and came back then with the default Launcher.

@Philips_Support_P AFAIR a new 1.4.X Version was targeted for this weekend? Does it make sense to further reload the Betaforum everyone 5 Minutes ;-)?

Edit:

1 Like

Depends if you all can live with ugly text icons instead of graphic icons… if yes, it’ll drop in an hour or so.

2 Likes

Yes I Can!

I’m watching movies on a big projector screen because I am too lazy to read. So please no text Icons for me ….I need Icons cause I’m a visual guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Launcher alpha 2 is now uploaded, please check the first post for the release notes!

1 Like

I think there are way to many shortcuts now. Shortcuts should be there in case you have to change something very quick. Not sure what you should do with a “About” shortcut. Also I would take everything else that lies under “Image” out of the shortcut menu. With this shortcuts there is also now some structure missing. mhhhh… not sure if that makes it any better than before. Some may like it, some may not…as always :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the Launcher 1.4.0 alpha 2 version I have the following observations while running FW 1.0.32beta:

I don’t quite agree with Marcus on the amount of shortcuts, but definitely on the need for some of these to be there

I would personally like to see the following gone:

• Region - not often needed
  • Update - not often needed, plus it’s 2 clicks to a factory reset, you don’t want this on a home screen IMO
  • About - not often needed
  • Wallpaper - not that often needed (but could stay if there’s no other path to wallpaper settings)
  • Optimize - not often needed IMO
  • Input Source - should IMO be replaced with direct links to HDMI and USB-C instead

So instead of these 6 I’d like to propose:

• Ceiling - this is much more likely to be used in portable situations, where one time you’ll be projecting against a screen and another against a ceiling, or through a screen
  • Brightness Mode - to switch quickly between Energy Saver, Normal, and Presentation
  • Autofocus - to switch it on or off quickly, or to trigger the AF action
  • USB-C - direct input source switching
  • HDMI - direct input source switching
  • File Manager - I found it as an app icon now, so perhaps not that needed as a shortcut. If Wallpaper stays then this is not needed per sé IMO.

Other observations:

• I can see the Launcher Beta, Settings, and File Manager icons in the launcher
  • using the Back button on the remote crashes the Launcher Beta. The PPM returns to a black screen and it’s very difficult to nearly impossible to get it to start the launcher, any launcher. When I manage to start the launcher beta I get prompted (again!) if I want to use the beta launcher just once or always, selecting always still see me getting this prompt after the next crash.
  • I love the 12/24 hour format toggle. :sunglasses:

Tomorrow I’ll try to run battery rundown and prediction tests.

1 Like

I have similar sentiments.
I think Region, Optimize, About and maybe Update are not needed in the shortcuts.
And I would add direct shortcuts to Ceiling and Brightness Mode. I think I’m fine not putting direct shortcuts to type-c and HDMI but I think what would be better is if they only appear when there’s a connected device to them.

1 Like