Launcher v1.4.0 alpha- need feedback on battery time remaining

I set the “Launcher Beta” to the default Launcher:

When I power off or on the PSU the PPM projection went off and came back then with the default Launcher.

@Philips_Support_P AFAIR a new 1.4.X Version was targeted for this weekend? Does it make sense to further reload the Betaforum everyone 5 Minutes ;-)?

Edit:

1 Like

Depends if you all can live with ugly text icons instead of graphic icons… if yes, it’ll drop in an hour or so.

2 Likes

Yes I Can!

I’m watching movies on a big projector screen because I am too lazy to read. So please no text Icons for me ….I need Icons cause I’m a visual guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Launcher alpha 2 is now uploaded, please check the first post for the release notes!

1 Like

I think there are way to many shortcuts now. Shortcuts should be there in case you have to change something very quick. Not sure what you should do with a “About” shortcut. Also I would take everything else that lies under “Image” out of the shortcut menu. With this shortcuts there is also now some structure missing. mhhhh… not sure if that makes it any better than before. Some may like it, some may not…as always :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the Launcher 1.4.0 alpha 2 version I have the following observations while running FW 1.0.32beta:

I don’t quite agree with Marcus on the amount of shortcuts, but definitely on the need for some of these to be there

I would personally like to see the following gone:

• Region - not often needed
  • Update - not often needed, plus it’s 2 clicks to a factory reset, you don’t want this on a home screen IMO
  • About - not often needed
  • Wallpaper - not that often needed (but could stay if there’s no other path to wallpaper settings)
  • Optimize - not often needed IMO
  • Input Source - should IMO be replaced with direct links to HDMI and USB-C instead

So instead of these 6 I’d like to propose:

• Ceiling - this is much more likely to be used in portable situations, where one time you’ll be projecting against a screen and another against a ceiling, or through a screen
  • Brightness Mode - to switch quickly between Energy Saver, Normal, and Presentation
  • Autofocus - to switch it on or off quickly, or to trigger the AF action
  • USB-C - direct input source switching
  • HDMI - direct input source switching
  • File Manager - I found it as an app icon now, so perhaps not that needed as a shortcut. If Wallpaper stays then this is not needed per sé IMO.

Other observations:

• I can see the Launcher Beta, Settings, and File Manager icons in the launcher
  • using the Back button on the remote crashes the Launcher Beta. The PPM returns to a black screen and it’s very difficult to nearly impossible to get it to start the launcher, any launcher. When I manage to start the launcher beta I get prompted (again!) if I want to use the beta launcher just once or always, selecting always still see me getting this prompt after the next crash.
  • I love the 12/24 hour format toggle. :sunglasses:

Tomorrow I’ll try to run battery rundown and prediction tests.

1 Like

I have similar sentiments.
I think Region, Optimize, About and maybe Update are not needed in the shortcuts.
And I would add direct shortcuts to Ceiling and Brightness Mode. I think I’m fine not putting direct shortcuts to type-c and HDMI but I think what would be better is if they only appear when there’s a connected device to them.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It goes without saying that not all those icons are meant to be in the released version. All the screens that can be launched are added in it.

It’s not possible (for now) to add direct shortcuts to:

• brightness mode
  • ceiling mode
  • directly choosing USB-C or HDMI

but planned for a future update.

Because the API for it is not yet available from the Systems team.

It is possible to add:

• Autofocus
  • File manager – but it is now an app (remember the graphic design is pending)
  • Full settings – same as file manager
4 Likes

Thanks. I understand that everything is easy to implement :smile:
Does the “back” button now works to go directly to the shortcuts?
I can’t test it because it just goes back to the stable version of the launcher .

1 Like

The “Back” button quits the beta launcher. It’ll be disabled for release. Actually it is intended to become the task-switcher function.

1 Like

Okay I see, i thought it was supposed to be for opening the shortcuts directly. Anyway, let’s see how it goes in the next alpha/beta/release :smile:

1 Like

And here’s the release version + translations + a last-minute bugfix that made it:

• some apps which were not being shown are now shown
  • some apps which could not be launched can now be launched
  • TV versions of the UI will be used for apps that have both (e.g.: VLC)

https://we.tl/t-XAwZWrlkAS

2 Likes

Very nice look & feel!

All visible Apps on the following photo are working.

Two things:

1. Date/Time format is inconsistent between homescreen and settings
  2. The shortcuts are good but I would like to see only two lines. Removing the Wallpaper Shortcut would be more than okey

Yeah, It looks good. I assume the settings app isn’t included in the launcher so it may be updated in the actual OTA?

So far, my only complaint is that they are still hard to reach especially when you have many apps and you are somewhere at the bottom of the list. It’s been an issue before though so nothing new. I just hope there’s something we can do about it :smile:

The monster time format string in the settings app exists since several months. It’s even worse since the seconds are ticking and the whole time string is attached to the right corner. So each time the seconds are changing, the whole time string is moved a little bit to the right or left depending on the last digit size.
It seems to have this strange Format with date, time and seocnds only in “german” setttings. - If you switch to english it looks more compact.

1 Like

You can use the AirMote pointer to reach it directly.

Settings app is another team, I already asked them to improve it. Hope it makes it for this update, next one if not.

1 Like

There is no other way to change wallpaper right now that’s why it’s still there.