Manual Vertical Keystone in HDMI mode

What about horizontal keystone? My PPM doesn’t adjust the horizontal.

There’s a Horizontal correction option which doesn’t seem to do anything. I guess an unimplemented feature? Maybe should be hidden until implemented.

You are right it was supposed to be for automatic left right tilt correction but it is removed. The UI option will be removed too.

This was for roll correction right? not yaw?
Anyway, if it’s roll, it’s quite easy to adjust although it can be helpful if you don’t use a tripod and simply on top of a surface.

Hello @Philips_Support_P, is the manual keystone setting planned for the next firmware update? Will it address the linearity distortion issue? (4 Corner Adjustment - Linearity Distortion)

1 Like

Yes manual keystone adjustment is planned for next update. Linearity correction might take a bit longer but I hope can be done in next update. Too many tasks to do after CNY!

6 Likes

There are many settings I’ve played with and inevitably regret because the only way to get back to baseline performance is to do a Factory Reset, losing all of the passwords etc. carefully entered and having to start again. For keystone correction, I find the default setting is reasonably close but doesn’t perfectly adjust keystone. But I’ve learned I don’t dare touch “Horizontal” in the settings because it then throws a reasonably squared screen into a crazy perspective that there seems no way to back out of — except by Factory Reset. So I’m living with close-not-perfect from the default settings until there is some less destructive way to revert. (The same goes with Bluetooth settings: at least before the last update, touching Bluetooth Switch seemed to permanently disable Bluetooth until I reverted to factory settings).

The inability to correctly shape the screen in HDMI is a massive letdown, especially when the PPM actual interface is so poor and as a result you need to plug in an external device.
I’ve had my PPM for approx 3hrs now and whilst the image quality is decent, everything else is rubbish.

1 Like

Could you precise status for manual horizontal keystone correction (left/right tilt)?
(for internal as well as HDMI/USB-C)

It would be great to see statement in INFO: Limitations of features for HDMI and USB-C inputs

2 Likes

Hi Prashant, do you think manual vertical keystone adjustment will be in the next release 1.27? i can’t seem to get the projector perfectly square. hoping this feature would help.

Not in 1.0.27 because it is already in beta but yes manual adjustment is a feature on our list for the next few updates. Within this month.

By the way did you try calibrating? FAQ: Automatic Keystone Correction

1 Like

thanks. let me try calibrating

hello @slandicho,
corner correction has limits (I mean, as everythyng in life!), your PPM is right in front the projection screen?

Where is the beta? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yes, its right in front mounted to the ceiling. I get a vertical trapezoid. Its subtle, but would like to get it perfectly straight so i can put up a screen border

If you’ve already tried calibrating and still get the trapezoid, try calibrating it tilted in the opposite direction. To do this put a piece of paper (folded a few times if needed to gain some height) under the PPM at either the back or the front of the PPM to lift or lower the image. When the image is straight, calibrate it, then remove the paper.

Disclaimer:
I could be making a mental error and have it reversed in my head here, don’t have the PPM with me to test the directions. But in any case, the general steps should work, you only need to fiddle with which side to calibrate it on. If what I said above only makes it worse, then when you find the optimum setting, move the piece of paper to the opposite side (from front to back or vice versa) and then calibrate.

There are so many factors affecting the shape of the projection - roll, yaw, pitch. It’s especially hard if you have a bordered screen because you’ll see clearly if it’s not perfect.

Ywah it’s not easy, which is why the border has to be pitch black, absorbing as much light as possible, enabling you to oversize the image ever so slightly. The same way as the old crt televisions overscanned (and to some extent lcd TVs of today). There’s a reason why television is mastered with “title safe margins” which means that no important info is supposed to be close to the edges. A computer display output will immediately reveal the geometry errors though… :confused:

1 Like

I agree with all of you, it’s not simple to get a perfectly rectangular image.
But keep in mind that the PPM is a pico projector whose main vocations are to be portable, to be implemented quickly and under very diverse conditions.
Therefore, wanting to put it permanently, with a border screen, is almost nonsense …

1 Like

I agree, as I have another much more capable home cinema projector - but I can totally see first time projector owners doing something like this just to get started. It’s a lot less money than where I started way back in the later nineties with a “cheap” ~4kEUR projector

3 Likes