My PicoPix Max Review - 5 Months, v1.1

Thank you for the extensive review. By the way, have you used another Android projector and which one, not Android TV? I belkeve they’ve advertised Aptoid from the beginning.

1 Like

That’s a very fair review. It leaves the purchase choice down to personal circumstances and to whether you can live with the limitations.

Yesterday I tried to use YouTube Kids and that’s when I saw the impact of no Google Play Services.

I wasn’t aware of HBO not working or Disney+, that’s a real shame, I hope theres a workaround.

As long as Plex stays supported and I can get on YouTube, my use case it sorted.

4 Likes

Thanks for your review! Sounds nice to me - looking forward to the device myself, and I’m curious to see how well/not well Miracast is going to work for my purposes - several people seemed to not have been very happy with it, so I’m curious to see how it compares to my current solution.

I’m not anticipating many issues for my use cases due to the lack of PlayStore, my previous projectors didn’t have it either. What I’m a bit worried about in the very long term is the support for the Netflix app, considering that if Netflix changes stuff on the server side, the last modified version might stop working at some point (and for some reason I suspect that Netflix might limit to SD resolution when projecting via Miracast, not sure about that though).

I was under the impression that Disney+ was working? I’m not planning to use it myself, but there was a thread that sounded like it was working (maybe with some teething problems): Disney Plus App

So if you are planning to subscribe, it might be worth giving it another try (maybe when you tried the app just wasn’t available on aptoide yet?).

1 Like

Disney+ works absolutely fine on my device. Downloaded it from the aptoide store. Netflix, Amazon prime, IPTV Smarters, all work like a charm

6 Likes

Good review of it’s present state I think.
I was backer 1469 and I’ve had it since Feb and I’m happy with the picture quality but totally frustrated by the state of Android on this device, so many apps don’t work or require dodgy workarounds and it’s ok saying just plug in a stick but then you lose loads of the functionality. This is supposed to be a premium quality standalone product and so far I’ve had to purchase an additional Roku stick, projector stand (so it can be positioned to project correctly over HDMI), an extra long USB cable and 3.5mm BT adapter.

2 Likes

Same here. Disney+ works fine.

3 Likes

Great review! Did you watch the ending of Westwood Season 3 yet?

I did, thought it was great. Those writers are definitely on drugs to come up with all that :joy:

3 Likes

It was back in January that I last tried Disney+, sounds like support has been added since then.

I’ll also add that I was trying to get HBO in Canada which requires an app called Crave, not sure if HBO would work in other countries.

1 Like

If the 4-Corner Keystone correction feature doesn’t work through HDMI, then what’s the point??
The built in Android like OS Is for me a bonus.
I need the projector to be a projector. Connected to a video source like a PC.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the point I wanted to make - I don’t actually mind that some apps are unavailable, but I just wish I could get all the advertised features over HDMI like with most non-smart projectors.

Thanks @NinjaMark for a very detailed and balanced review! We are all hopeful for the software improvements in coming time!

1 Like

I tried so hard to do the update to the last version but it didn‘t appear at the menu of update… Hope that you can solve the problem…

Try the offline upload process if you are tech savvy. Follow:
INFO: How to do offline software update?

Hi,
I had a look but there were only an old update from january 2020, so I suppose there is no update from version 1.1. offline to download… I would try tonight when I’m back at home, if it doesen’t work I do the downgrad by settings and than I would make it back to the version when it was delivered. And hope by the way I could than download the update 1.1

post is updated with the link to 1.1.0. Please check again, and thanks for the call out.

1 Like

The previous download link contained the version number “1.0.21”, but it’s yields the correct file anyway.
The 1.0.21 is just telling the server that’s the version you’re currently “running”, setting it so far back ensures you’ll get the latest file in return.

It‘s ok, I downloaded directly on the PicoPix Max, this time it was ok to download it directly…:+1:t3:

1 Like

The only way you’re getting a 100 inch image is if your room is pretty dark. If you want to use it in normal room light then you’re probably talking about the size of a large TV. The Indiegogo price that I bought it at is kind of acceptable. But there is no way this is worth a thousand bucks.

How did you downgrade to the versjon it comes with ?

“I would make it back to the version when it was delivered”