Philips (PicoPix) Max TV Commercial Video (2021)

Granted that there is continuous product improvement and that one cannot expect to have the latest and greatest forever. What I personally do take issue with, is the fact that a (surely not just for me) critical feature - HDMI CEC - was not provided as promised and simply removed without leaving more tech-savy users like me the option to try it out and figure out (via hidden menu activationetc.) whether it works with our own hdmi devices. I could have lived with a somewhat lackluster onboard android AOSP as long as I could have some onscreen settings while using hdmi input and the opportunity to control HDMI devices like a Fire TV Stick etc. with the provided remote or even the Fire TV remote itself.

I have an LG PF50KS projector as well (this model is much older than the PPM) and this one does EXACTLY THAT: onscreen functionality to adjust screen settings, audio settings etc., HDMI CEC functionality, and also HDMI bluetooth audio passthrough (nice to have but not super critical since a connected device could very well pair directly with a bluetooth speaker etc).

The insult to injury scenario came to be when the Pico Pix One got released with better speakers and supposedly proper HDMI CEC, leaving many buyers of the Pico Pic Max with a foul aftertaste.

I personally would have preferred a flawless no-nonsense “dumb” projector over a somewhat lacking android and feature implementation.

I initially got the PPM to replace the aforementioned LG PF50KS but as it turns out, the PPM did not match picture quality (way more customization features on the LG Projector such as gamma control, different color adjustment options etc and even the brightness is not far behind) and ease of use (HDMI CEC, bluetooth audio pass through). The only advantages I see are size and fan noise.

I will keep an open mind towards philips projectors but I have to admit that I also got burned pretty badly with that purchase.

1 Like