PicoPix Max Battery Not Charging

IvoG Thank you, it is clear.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was a bit distracted earlier.
Before contacting support, can you test perhaps if the cable works with another USB-C device?

We need to rule out if it’s the cable or the charger, and I’m guessing (correct me if I’m wrong) you tested both Philips cable and charger together on the other device, which still doesn’t rule either out. If you did test them separately and concluded it’s the charger then mention this to support as well.

Also, not to be demeaning or condescending in any way: did you plug the USB-C cable into the PPM port at the very right, marked with POWER? Some people had not seen the difference and plugged the power cable in the VIDEO port next to it, thinking it wouldn’t matter. In the case of the PPM it does matter though, as one is purely for power only and the other for video only (not even data).

Dear IvoG
I checked both together so I am not 100% sure which one is the faulty one. I suppose the probability is that the charger is defective.
I connected the USB-C to the right port marked power.
It is not easy to check the cable alone because I need to find another charger that has USB-C port. All smart phone chargers I have the cable is one end USB-A the other one USB-C
I will go to a service shop and ask to make the check of the cable. Another solution is to buy a new cable USB-C to USB-C and re-check the charger with the new cable.

1 Like

Just a quick note: if you end up buying a new cable to check the charger with, please make sure it’s rated for high enough power to work with the PPM and charger combination.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for the advise.

1 Like

I have not used the PPM in awhile since Feb, turned it on and downloaded the latest firmware and updates, and left it to charge it overnight, a red LED appeared, so all seemed well.

In the morning, I realised it only charged to around 60%. I tried unplugging and replugging, but the LED did not come on. Turning on the PPM showed normal battery status (not charging).

I have tried the following steps

1. Changed to Ugreen USB-C to Lightning cable, with original Philips charger, able to charge my iPhone XR
  2. Changed to a working 30W USB C UGreen charger, with original Philips USB C cable, not charging
  3. Changed to another Anker USB C - to USB C cable, with original charger, not charging

I think there is something wrong with the battery or system. Sporadically, while swapping the cables and testing, the Blue LED would come on briefly then disappear.

Kindly advise how I can fix this or get a replacement, thank you.

My order was from Indiegogo

Contribution ID

Just done a search for PicoPix Max manual, and surprisingly there is one now on the Phillips site, not just the quick start guide, had a quick scroll through and came across this,

That was not expected, never noticed a reset hole before and after looking around all 3 USB ports I still can’t find it,
It’s on page 21 of the user manual.

1 Like

It’s on the right side of the projector near the USB-C POWER port. There are 2 reset pins, the one closer to the corner is for service and the one further towards the lens is reset.

3 Likes

I did suspect it might be those 2 holes, they should have made it more clear maybe include a picture,
Anyway thought it might help solve some of these battery non charging issue?

@daniel.see
Can you please take a photo with flash, of the USB-C Power port on the projector, from a little above and a little below the port? I suspect the pins inside could be damaged/warped.

!
Hi, thanks for replying so quick. Let me know if you need clearer pictures, as I currently only have the iPhone XR near me…

Second image…

Hi @daniel.see I tried to zoom in but it’s out of focus. Possible to focus on the usb port? Or better, please check it closely and let us know whether you notice any damaged pins in the USB-C power port. This will help us determine whether to replace your charger+cable, or the entire product. Thanks.

1 Like

is this better? As far as I can tell, the pins are not damaged.

1 Like

2nd pic…

Why would you think it is the charger/cable though? I tried the charger with a usb-c to lightning and it seemed to work fine.

Using the cable + philips charger, I just tried using it to charge my portable battery that accepts USB-C and also seems to work ok.

1 Like

Should I try a hard reset (what are the steps?), possible that the firmware update overnight might have caused some issue?

Hi @daniel.see sorry for the delay, our engineers are discussing what could have gone wrong and whether there’s a solution without calling the product back. But if you don’t want to wait, you can start a warranty replacement now.

1 Like

So this method that’s in the official manual has not been tried? and is not even worth a try?

1 Like

Hi @ThunderStrk it is surely worth a try, it might solve the problem in many cases. But the troubleshooting steps written in the manual cannot be exhaustive, a lot more things could have gone wrong. We need to analyze it deeper in case a simple reset doesn’t solve it.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the screenshot, I tried resetting and the behaviour seems to have changed a little bit, where previously nothing would happen when plugging in.

In both cases where the PPM is on and off, plugging in the charger, the LED turns red for a few seconds then charging LED turns off if PPM is off, or turns back to blue if PPM is on. There is also a very faint “clicking” sound in the charger when this happens.

I can see now why you would think it is the charger problem (can’t draw high enough wattage?) possibly. My worry is that sending it back might not reproduce the problem without the charger going along.

I have also taken the charger out from the extension socket and plugged directly to a main, the Red LED comes on for a slightly longer time (10-15 secs), but it will still turn off eventually.

Regarding replacement form:

I have actually filled out the return form online 2 days ago when the customer service sent over the link, but I haven’t heard anything since then. Can I return it then (both PPM and charger) for replacement? It doesn’t look like I can do much here as I don’t really have >30W USB-C chargers lying around or any USB-C devices that require >65W power to try and further test out the charger.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Thank you.

1 Like