I’m on the latest firmware and in the past few months I used the projector with a wide variety of video files/codecs. Although I believe the issues I’m going to talk about can easily go unnoticed, they do hinder my viewing experience a lot as someone fairly sensitive to playback hiccups. Using any of the stock apps for video playback, it has been impossible to get a smooth playback.
VLC, MX Player Pro, and Media Center all have flawed playback exhibiting either or both:
- The video has a split second stutter every 2 seconds; or
- The audio isn’t properly synced, off by about 0.5 second.
These issues are:
- Not codec dependent. Every app has its own pattern consistent across all major video codecs and types (most common being x264 or x265 MP4s/MKVs)
- Not speaker related. I use an aux cable speaker and confirmed the same happens with the projector’s speaker.
- Not very noticeable at first. My partner often tells me nothing is wrong, and later can’t unsee it for the rest of the movie.
- Not present when streaming videos. Only with the local video players (VLC, MX Player Pro, and Media Center) reading from different USB sticks.
- Most likely to be entirely software related. Issues are very consistent and vary with each app.
All movies are read from healthy USB sticks. Every time I want to watch something, I have to decide between a smooth playback with audio desync, or slight but annoying video stutter with synced audio.
Philips, can you please reproduce the video/audio issues and look into them for a software update? I’m happy to help you troubleshoot.
User, do you have suggestions for more reliable, free video players I can install?