PPM Color Calibration Primer

Hello all,

Please adjust the image to your liking by going to Settings > Image. You can find brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness controls.

This product does not support advanced colour management.

There is a special app available only to beta testers that lets you directly modify the red/green/blue LED power. This will not be released publicly because it makes direct changes to the hardware, making it possible to run the product outside safe limits.

The special app also has a “looks” feature which is a set of 10-20 adjustments to the white balance affecting both internal and external video. This feature is planned to be released publicly in the near future. For the vast majority of use-cases, one of the looks will be satisfactory to you. It can also act as a wall colour correction. It’s also very consumer-friendly, requiring you to only flip between the looks and pick the one you prefer.

Hope this puts at ease some of the questions & concerns regarding colour calibration.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer and comments Prashant

Hello Prashant,

I am happy to read news about the color calibration tool, but much less when it comes with its content.
You were not be able to modify this application to prevent the user from setting options that run the product outside safe limits ?
I mean, the default calibration is not ideal and work has been done (with probe) by the French tester from “passionhomecinema”, wouldn’t be possible to set his parameters as default at least ?

Mode : Normal
Brightness : 42%
Contrast : 48%
Test image : Z White 1%%
RGB
R : 709
G : 447
B : 381

Thanks

Salut William
I stopped banging my head against the wall : this is not their priority it seems And I don’t see what can make them changed their minds. I’m giving negative comments on social media when I read their advertising about the incredible colours And astonishing image … LOL ! If you like yellow wax skins this is incredible :star_struck:
We both know the answer regarding security is pure BS com but I have the feeling we are fighting against windmills

1 Like

Hello,
I’m working in color grading, and I was looking for a thread to discuss about Picopix Max Calibration.
Between us, it’s actually a crap. I was a user of the Picopix Pro (which has a good colorimetry) to go to Picopix Max, and it’s a jump backward.
I’m using Picopix Max through HDMI cause there is huge differences between HDMI, VLC, MX Player. With VLC I think the huge is problem is that it’s Data Level and not Video Level that is setting up…
So I’m using PicoPix Max with a Chromecast and my white are clipped at 85 / 90% percent of the signal same at 1 percent of Contrast. Why are you Clipping the signal???
The better parameter for me is Brightness 48%, Contrast 30%, Saturation 42%, Sharpness 1% (Really crap parameters)
As other people said, the green and the Yellow at a moment are oversaturated. It doesn’t serve to anything to have the wider color gammut cause we don’t use it in 99,9% of the picture but it’s better to minimise it and have good color and good skintone.
Moreover we have to change the gamma curve, it explodes at a moment in the white without reason …(despite we are losing somme white informations)

5 Likes

Hey Quentin, thanks for sharing the values to optimise HDMI input! It’s exactly what I needed.

Just to check, have your tried changing the image settings hidden in the hidden menu as well?

Hidden menu → Device Preferences → Display → Advanced Settings

Please do share with us if you have found a more balanced image values — the default image is very contrast heavy.

This Hidden Menü is known but doesn’t solve the “crap” colour and wax skins
Same for green yellowish dominant colour
My feeling is nobody knows how to solve this…

There is no way to solve this for us users, but I’m sure there is on the production end. Someone dialed in this gamma curve and these colours, they can change them. The different looks don’t help with this. Likewise, the sharpening on internal playback was corrected immediately, while the same sharpening on external input is still there. If this has been corrected on the new model and not this one that’s truly sad. I haven’t used the PPX in months, with this gamma and sharpening it’s an unfinished product. Looks like all changes at the production end have been halted and resources migrated to new product. We’re gonna get some UX polish and that’s it I fear.

1 Like

I bought a cheap anti-ambient light gray screen and so far it made the picture brighter and with a lot more contrast. Its viewing angle is very limited though. Only for selfish people like me LOL
I’m not good with assessing color accuracy and such but so far I’m very contented. Also, look 14 seems to be good to me though it might be too cold for others :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve gotten the PPM in Dec 2019, and I have predominantly used the HDMI input from my Apple TV.

Image quality was good on HDMI.

If I remembered correctly, it became bad earlier this year after a software update was rolled out to fix image issues on the in-built Android interface.

It looks like the software update actually broke the image quality on HDMI. Perhaps @Philips_Support_P can comment on this?

I mean you can easily see the difference between the image quality on the in-built of Android interface vs HDMI input.

1 Like

Hi Quentin, great to see some interest from someone that works with color grading professionally. I was wondering if you had a chance to dive into the advanced settings and find some parameters that work well to make the picture better?

I’m not Quentin, but just happened to pop in here and saw this. There’s nothing we can do on the machine, in any menu, setting, secret or beta, that addresses the fundamental issue. If your advanced settings are correct as per instructions here on the forum (which adjust brightness and contrast so they don’t clip) you’ll be left with the gamma and colour issues described here. There are no controls for these. I’ve been lobbying for them to be brought in line, or for us to be given a choice of presets in lieu of actual controls, because flexible controls won’t be added to an inexpensive machine like this. This was many months ago as you can read in this thread. Nothing from Screeneo. Not even the brutal sharpening on external input has been fixed.

The image will not look better unless Screeneo address this. The image portion of this machine is unfinished.

3 Likes

The only reason I keep coming back to this forum after having received my PPM is because I’m eager to see whether the image (flat picture) quality will be improved or not.

Despite Prashant mentioning nothing’s gonna change on the hardware level, I keep hoping one of thesedays Philips will announce something about how they improved or will improve the picture quality and no more flat picture.

If nothing is done about the flat picture quality, I’m thinking to eventually sell my PPM for something I can live with…

2 Likes

When will we have this c mon philips

Despite what has been said and done, I wish everyone, including the Philips team, a happy New Year!

It was an exponentially dificult year from for me due to Cov19. I want to extend a pat on the back to everyone, including myself, across the globe for surviving 2020!!

Happy New Year folks!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy New Year from me as well to the community

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P Happy New Year.
Please could you advise what the plans are for the PPM with regard to colour/image quality? It has gone very quiet on this topic recently and for me at least is key to me either selling or keeping my PPM.

Also, you mentioned 2 other new pj’s would be coming soon. Are these in addition to the Max one? Any info on specs you can share?

Hi Guys and Happy New Year to All of You
So you really think they will fix These issues?
We are early adopters and our feedbacks help them to improve an unfinished product. That’s my feeling at least.
I don’t expect anyone from Philips to answer since they simply ignore our messages about this key topic.
Who could be happy with a TV with discussing and flat colours? Burned clear picture?
I think they focus on a new version and all so called updates will stop within the year. And then a second version will be launched, with all our remarks in terms of improvement etc…
New issue the keystone is going crazy on my model : upper right corner is deformed with HDMi. But I don’t care anymore. I have the feeling to fight against windmills and that nobody really listen to us and our support requests

Worse when we demand for the color app to be shared, the answer is that not well use it could damage the projector :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
Somebody must be joking here :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Anyway, I use this toy when traveling or for some mario kart competition and that all.
I’ll buy a true projector to watch movies.

One last attempt : is somebody from Philips reasons this ? Could you wave your hand ?

Well, it’s as they say: no answer is also an answer. While I understand moving on from a product is an economical necessity, doing so for a product this unfinished in the image department is like stopping creating the cow before it gives milk. It’s a projector. Don’t need a better UI or a bespoke app store when the image portion is half-finished.

Hi everyone, we have already given our statement on this topic. But here some personal insight from me:

Hi @William thanks for the suggestion. There is variation between devices, which would cause one set of defaults to show quite different results on a different unit. The current default values are based on averages found during preproduction.

If your PicoPix Max’s colours don’t look good, it’s likely a unit outside the typical tolerances.

Regarding the chromaticity of the primaries (R/G/B) this is a function of the LED used inside the light engine. The gamma curves are burnt into the video chip, based on averages found during preproduction, and sadly not upgradeable via software.

These are not purely technical issues, but also related to schedule and budgeting constraints. We could have added a professional CMS inside and released this product 1 year later.