PPM Color Calibration Primer

Hi Guys and Happy New Year to All of You
So you really think they will fix These issues?
We are early adopters and our feedbacks help them to improve an unfinished product. That’s my feeling at least.
I don’t expect anyone from Philips to answer since they simply ignore our messages about this key topic.
Who could be happy with a TV with discussing and flat colours? Burned clear picture?
I think they focus on a new version and all so called updates will stop within the year. And then a second version will be launched, with all our remarks in terms of improvement etc…
New issue the keystone is going crazy on my model : upper right corner is deformed with HDMi. But I don’t care anymore. I have the feeling to fight against windmills and that nobody really listen to us and our support requests

Worse when we demand for the color app to be shared, the answer is that not well use it could damage the projector :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
Somebody must be joking here :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Anyway, I use this toy when traveling or for some mario kart competition and that all.
I’ll buy a true projector to watch movies.

One last attempt : is somebody from Philips reasons this ? Could you wave your hand ?

Well, it’s as they say: no answer is also an answer. While I understand moving on from a product is an economical necessity, doing so for a product this unfinished in the image department is like stopping creating the cow before it gives milk. It’s a projector. Don’t need a better UI or a bespoke app store when the image portion is half-finished.

Hi everyone, we have already given our statement on this topic. But here some personal insight from me:

Hi @William thanks for the suggestion. There is variation between devices, which would cause one set of defaults to show quite different results on a different unit. The current default values are based on averages found during preproduction.

If your PicoPix Max’s colours don’t look good, it’s likely a unit outside the typical tolerances.

Regarding the chromaticity of the primaries (R/G/B) this is a function of the LED used inside the light engine. The gamma curves are burnt into the video chip, based on averages found during preproduction, and sadly not upgradeable via software.

These are not purely technical issues, but also related to schedule and budgeting constraints. We could have added a professional CMS inside and released this product 1 year later.

@Philips_Support_P appreciate your comments. You mention on a previous post that a ‘looks’ feature is being worked on. Is there a rough timeline for this being released?

Lastly. Have these colour issues been addressed with the ppm one? I see on specs that it has - Rec. 709 Mode whereas the ppm obviously doesn’t.

@Philips_Support_P I’d really like to know if the update with the system-wide overlay (screenshot shown by @IvoGrijt higher up in the thread, which appears to be very similar to the overlay interface on the PicoPix Max One) is still being worked on?
Any estimate on when this update might be released?
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Dean_Newton the looks feature is coming with the next update by the end of the month. In the meantime you can use the colour adjustment app from the beta lounge.

Hi @smartygus there is no system-wide overlay on PicoPix Max. I’m not familiar with the screenshot you’re referring to. However we are working on the smartphone app to change the settings while watching something.

4 Likes

Hello,

Best wishes for 2021.

It seemed to me that the ability to adjust colors was built into all devices of this type and I can’t figure out the cause and effect link

We can therefore legitimately conclude that it is dangerous for the device to modify the “red / green / blue LED power”, including via the application available for people registered in the list of beta testers. And so these testers take the risk of irreparably damaging their product with this application dedicated to them (the same application that passionhomecinema used in its test).

If it’s really dangerous, why did you publish it ?
Or it is legally impossible for you to publish an application of this kind if it presents a risk, even calculated, and that is why you are offering it to an informed public ?

I don’t know if my projector has colorimetric specifications outside the expected ranges but from the moment a calibration had been carried out by a professional, the objective for me was to get closer

I understand your explanation about the basic specs and that they are “burned” into the chip

Thank you

Where was this statement given? I’d like to read it. I’m not talking about colour, by the way, you’ve mentioned the selection of LEDs plenty of times. But that’s not the issue. If you’ll remember, I even stated that the colour was fine for what this is, the colour temperature was spot-on on my machine.

People will say “flat colour” because that’s what it looks like, but the real reason is gamma. Most people don’t measure this, they just call it the way they see it. It’s not about the chromaticity of the LEDs or the white point. Those are what they are.

I am not aware of any clear statement on gamma being unalterable. Or the sharpening on external input. Please, clear this up and we can be done with it if it’s so.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P the screenshot I was referring to was the one posted earlier in this thread by @IvoGrijt here: PPM Color Calibration Primer - #31 by PhilipsIvo
It seems like this may be a screenshot from the interface on the PicoPix Max One?

I was just hoping for some way to make adjustments to the image tuning variables from the standard remote while using a HDMI/USB-C source. But if I understand you now correctly this is not coming?
Having a companion app that would allow the changing of brightness/contrast/saturation/etc. while watching something from HDMI/USB-C would be a workable alternative I guess.

Hi @smartygus

This feature is unfortunately not possible on PicoPix Max. It is possible on PicoPix Max One.

This feature is possible also on PicoPix Max via Bluetooth, and the app is in the works.

Okay cool, thanks again for the clarification. I look forward to trying out the app. Do you have a beta program for the app? I use iOS.

Hello Prashant,
I updated my PPM but I still don’t have the “looks feature”. Are you guys still working on improving the PPM ?

Hello @Nico-P, the RGB calibration feature is only available as part of the Colour Correction beta app, if you join the beta testers list.

I’ve added you to the beta testers group. Don’t forget to input your PicoPix Max serial number on your forum profile to help with future warranty claims as a beta user!

Hi @Philips_Support_P - When would we be able to use the companion app? Any launch dates in mind? Will you surprise us with the release of the app sometime soon before Christmas/New year?

Looking forward to it.

Hello @prabz18485 the companion app has been put on hold indefinitely as the team is very busy with new products. If you need to use the colour settings app, consider joining the beta lounge.

@Philips_Support_P
Please add me as well to the beta lounge. I would like to try out color setting app.

I would like to be added tot the beta-testers as well, thank you…

Hi @prabz18485 @Danny @DieBruine the beta lounge is now read-only accessible to everyone. The latest BETA app for colour calibration is here.

Hi
The beta app is not accessible, could you open it to me?
Many thanks

Hi,
Nice to see the app is up and running.
I tried to connect to the link but it leads me to a screeneo page
Did the address move?
Many thanks and wishing you a nice sunday