PPM Power requirement

You need a USB-C PD charger that can at least handle 65W and 15V 4A. So both your cable and your charger should meet those requirements. Same holds for powerbanks.

I have been in a labyrinth of powerbanks for the past week to find something that will work, but most of them max out at 15V 3A, which might or might not work based on discussions in this topic.

Hi Ann, welcome!

The PPX can only be charged from the USB-C port labeled USB-C (POWER), and only using a charger that can provide 15V at least 3A. What you could do is use a single socket extension cord to plug your charger in, keeping the USB-C cable at a resonable length. If you find one with a switch it will also allow you to power off the charger when not in use.

1 Like

I use this power bank and it works great with my PPM!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I was having power issues with my ppx. I replaced my power adapter/charger with the following and it now works like charm. No power issues or whatsoever, unit charges up to 100% and never turns back to battery mode when connected.

Amazon Link:

1 Like

Hi all
I am pretty tech sufficient but have really had trouble understanding the above! What I need is a powerbank that can just extend the output from the PPM ie If I start fully charged and have it plugged into a power bank to get more than the say 3 hours out of it, OR if it isn’t fully charged and I plug it in to a powerbank I can use it for several hours. Both scenarios assume no electric power available (eg using in backyard).

So what do I need to achieve this? If someone can link to an example on amazon Australia that would be amazing.

Thanks all

1 Like

It’s a long read but lots of useful info and links.

1 Like

I know the PPM specifies 15V-4A, what about 15V-5A at 75W? Found this inexpensive charger on amazon only downside is the cable can not be detached as it’s hardwired permanently fixed to the charger with USB C on the other end,

https://www.amazon.com.au/Releases-Charger-Spectre-Macbook-Thinkpad/dp/B07FW32LXJ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Llamatec&qid=1592385936&sr=8-2

1 Like

The included charger is actually unofficially 15V5A. So a similar compatible charger is a good bet.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Working external battery pack?

Any word on the actual PPM power adapters due to the very uncommon 15V4A requirement?

1 Like

Ok finally placed an order for a charger that hopefully will work, it’s not only a good price and offers an Australian adapter(others as well) but the smallest size I have found so far, because I plan to use this on the ceiling setup and leave it there and not have to unplug it every time I take the projector off, weight and gravity is a concern, I have already got a separate Fasgear 100w cable that works great so now I have 2 sets of charger and cable, 1 for ceiling in the living room and 1 for the bedroom, should be quick and easy to go from room to room now,

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Adam Elements gear, always served me well in the past.

I see they are about to Launch their GaN chargers.

2 Likes

I want to know what is the requirement for the usb-c power cable. Also, I require a bigger one. Any idea what is the max size I can purchase which would work with ppm. Links to sites, if any, are welcome

Their 65 watt and 87 watt versions deliver a maximum of 3 ampere at 15 volt. The store you are buying from just hides this information by using an unclear picture, where the “5A” limit applies to the cable rather than the charger. Compare the same brand of chargers elsewhere.

65 watt:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33035649357.html

87 watt:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000523016218.html

Still the same 3 ampere limit at 15 volt, like almost every charger that exists. Most things will still work at 3 ampere, but it won’t provide maximum power for the PPM

2 Likes

Still the same 3 ampere limit at 15 volts as the other, cheaper chargers. If you need the 5 amperes at 20 volt for something else, sure, but I would not buy it for the PPM that can’t use even half of the power that thing will provide.

1 Like

Yes I do realise that both the 65w and 87w will do the same job for the ppm, but the 87w is only a few dollars dearer and the size is actually slightly smaller which was the reason I chose this after looking for a while, plus the 87w can make a difference to charge a power bank I have ordered which accepts up to 100w, the only one I found that totally match the specs for the ppm is the link I had earlier

https://www.amazon.com.au/Releases-Charger-Spectre-Macbook-Thinkpad/dp/B07FW32LXJ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Llamatec&qid=1592385936&sr=8-2

But this one has a fixed cable and is big bulky and heavy

1 Like

5A 100w power delivery cables, I got a Fasgear one and it works great they come in different lengths up to 10ft 3 metres long

1 Like

Ah, I see. I interpreted your post as an attempt at finding a charger that could deliver 4 or more ampere at 15 volts.

If you have other devices that can make use of the improved current-delivering capability at 20 volts it could be helpful for those.

2 Likes

I’ve just received my PPM and the charger was not working.

To speed up things, I bought this one:

It works perfectly. Despite being 15v-3a, it is charging while projecting.

1 Like

I will test and report it over the next few days.

3 Likes