PPM Power requirement

I think it should be the other way around:

• Can both power and charge
  • Can only charge
  • Can neither power nor charge

I will check this in more detail with the team.

1 Like

Ok, so using the zendure.
No difference whatever mode used.
Red charge light comes on, lightning icon appears next to battery icon.
The zendure will power the ppm whilst running
The zendure will recharge ppm whilst off.
The % charge indicator on the zendure reduces by
1% per min in presentation mode = 100 min runtime approx
1% per 1.5 min in normal mode = 150 min runtime approx.
1% per 2 min in eco mode = 200 min runtime approx
Measuring power draw in each mode usb-c
43 watts in presentation mode
34 watts in normal mode
27 watts in eco mode
Powerdraw on mains
55 watts in presentation mode
45 watts Normal Mode
35 watts eco mode

5 Likes

That sounds reasonable, I assume usb-c means the zendure and mains means the philips adapter? As the adapter can provide up to 4A @ 15V instead of the regular 3A.

no unfortunately I couldn’t measure power draw from the zendure, I used an All powers 100000 mA power bank with a built in meter for both the mains and usb-c measurement. I don’t know how accurate the meter is but it should be consistently right or wrong using both types of power

Ah OK! Mains sounds a bit on the low side if taking conversion efficiency of the AC/DC adapter into consideration, but it might be close enough.

Was this test performed with the PPM battery fully charged? Otherwise there really shouldn’t be any difference in power consumption in the different modes.

The current limit isn’t super precise in the charger chips either. Theoretically it should be 45W and 60W respectively if voltage is 15V and the current is either 3 or 4A.

there will…is a difference in draw in different modes, there are differing electrical loads

I cant find any power bank so far that can do 15v 4a. Only thing I’ve found out so far is that the surface pro is also 15v 4amp apparently (not sure which version)

That Supertank looked like the one, but that’s maxed at 15v 3a too.

1 Like

did you not read above? The zundure supertank can produce 100w, up to 20v at 4A

But the PPM only accepts 15v. Or am I missing/misread something?

On the Supertank specs, it maxes out at 15v 3a.

Yes, but if the battery isn’t completely charged the charger should use the remaining power as established in the PD power contract to actually charge the battery, that’s why I was curious about the state of charge of the battery.

Yep, most 100W supplies are only specified to provide more than 3A at the highest voltage (20V). Also, an e-marked cable has to be used to in order for a compliant device to negotiate a PD contract at >3A.

1 Like

definitely missing something, it powers the ppm, see above

the battery was fully charged, the projector is perceptively brighter on mains

My mistake, my meaning was that Prashant stated the 15v 4a design, and was wondering if there was a power bank that meets that 15v 4a.

Can you run the PPM main presentation mode using the Supertank on full (main power) brightness?

I was wondering for work presentations - cheers.

mate, read the post above, all modes work

2 Likes

Well, the Helpers Lab charger I have doesn’t have 15V/4A indicated as an output voltage/amperage combination, yet when I plug it into my PPM the LED light turns Red, meaning it’s powering and charging if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

It likely managed to negotiate a 15V/3A contract, which will charge the PPM just fine, but I wouldn’t count on it actually netting a positive charge at the higher brightness settings.

Could everyone who do tests about charging/discharging use the battery monitor app and give sheet like @trappm produce below :

It explains very well what happens when plugging, unplugging, etc…

The different user experiences mentioned above may mean that the 15v/4A is a « ceiling » we can’t go above (at least for the 15v limit), but it’s very flexible below and PPM accepts a wide variety of combinations for charging…

I’m super confused now.

From what I’ve read, sounds like PPM will ONLY negotiate a 15v PD contract, and only nett a positive charge, while running in Normal mode, at 15v4A?

BUT, any PD supply will ‘trickle’ power and extend the playback period?

I’m trying to decide on a new Powerbank, but I really REALLY want qi wireless function from the battery bank.

The best I can find is a Zmi LevPower M10 (WPB1000), the best PD supply would be 9v/2A or 12.5v/1.5A (18w).

https://www.chargerlab.com/zmi-levpower-m10-wireless-charging-power-bank-wpb100-teardown-review/

Is this going to provide ANY power to the PPM? (Purely just extend playtime, when being used away from power? I will charge the PPM from the included AC power port when switched off)

Thank you to all the fart smarter people around here then me!