Projector randomly stops drawing external power / Only charges for 5mins at a time

If you already have a ticket with support, update it and ask if you can exchange the charging adapter only.

I have the same issue. Got mine today.(Betty) Charges for 15min then light turns to blue or turns off when the ppm is not running. Iā€˜m in germany.

I did a bit of reverse troubleshooting, connecting the PPM charger to my laptop. Interesting enough - the charging cuts off after about 15 minutes in this setup as well. (it gets pretty warm) about 80% sure it is the charger now. Unfortunately my laptop charger isnā€™t strong enough for the PPM to test like you did @mickeo. Iā€™ll see if I can buy a strong enough one locally and see if the PPM stays charging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check out PPM Power requirement for some suggestions for units available online (via Amazon for instance).

Great finding Graham, this might mean fewer returns of the whole unit are needed if it turns out to have been the charger all along! So it seems like a thermal cutoff on the chargerā€™s end, not the PPX!

I think the charger overheating may also be the reason some units donā€™t charge to 100% even if left overnight, what do you think @Philips_Support_P?

The charger can (unofficially) supply up to 5 amp, so itā€™s unlikely to be the case. But several defective units are being sorted and sent to engineering for further analysis. We will get to the bottom of it soon.

1 Like

Hi there, got my PPM yesterday (Contribution ID: 15184) and all seemed fine, updated firmware, watched YouTube, installed few appsā€¦
Today realized I got problem with battery % and drained it to 0%, waited 2 hours to cool everything down and plugged it in charger for an hour and power it on.
Battery was at 46%, PPM still plugged in and no chargingā€¦ OK, I disconnected and connected power cable, charging started, started YouTube and after ~20min video ended I saw projector is on 36%. Blue light was on, so again I disconnected and connected the cable back, blue switched with red light and it stated chargingā€¦
For now it is still charging (~17mins), went up to 43%ā€¦
Charger temperature is 50.2Ā°C, projector not over 42Ā°C on the fan exhaust side, average 37Ā°C; room 24Ā°C.

As I was typing this (20mins after charging started) red light switched with blue, charging stopped, charger temp went in 30s down to 45Ā°C
After 2 mins I plugged it back again, charging started, charger temp 35Ā°C

Honestly I donā€™t think itā€™s chargerā€™s termo kill switch responsible if it even has one, but will continue to monitor temp/time related charging issueā€¦

Iā€™ll try to find some EU adaptor to change the original one on charger, because I recently had bad adaptor connection that caused overheating/disconnecting of a phone charger.

Yesterday tested 2 phones on PPM charger and they both charged flawlessly (didnā€™t measure the speed of charging thought)

UPDATE:
After exactly 20mins it stopped charging, reconnect it again and powered PPM off, Iā€™ll leave it now on charger and try to reconnect it again when blue light appears so maybe I could push it to 100%ā€¦

Maybe this is some temperature+battery related issues, back in 2011 I was building drones and some built-in battery management sistems didnā€™t allow overcharge when battery got hot, so the trick was the same, stop charging, leave it for few secs and connect it back again, that way you could pump in a bit more juice and that was, sometimes, extending flight time for 30-60secs, but sometimes also inflate the batteryā€¦
Maybe the PPMā€™s BatMngSys isnā€™t calibrated to resist additional heat from lamp, so it thinks battery is getting too hot because of charging, thus cuts charging offā€¦

2 Likes

If you can find a travel adaptor, perhaps you can use the straight US prongs of the adapter and plug it into the wall socket right away?

In fact, have any of you reporting these charging issues used the charger with just the US plug, or are all people with issues using an EU/UK/AU plug? :thinking:

Great post by the way, this is the kind of exact feedback we can really use in this phase of the productā€™s life. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

So I got home to find out the blue light, reconnect the charger and red light appeared.
Started PPM and it was on 96%, now is on for 15mins and it charged up to 99%ā€¦
Update:
Projector was charging over night, reconnected charger, after 5sec red light changed with blueā€¦
Turned PPM on, battery was on 96%, reconnected charger and in 10mins went to 100%, now is still charging (red light) and keeps on 100%, that wold be normal behavior, same as android phones.
Restarted PPM again and it started up with 98%

The only problem I cannot figure out is that after each restart while charging cable is in PPM light goes from red to blue and when it boots it stays blue, but UI shows charging (notice the blue light on bottom picture)

As Iā€™m going to use it on the boat, mostly it will be plugged in genset on 220V, just during generator changing/shore conecting it will be few mins on itā€™s own battery, so for me is crucial that I donā€™t need constantly reconnect it.

For now Iā€™m extremely satisfied, just saw that bat% is going up even light stays blue!

1 Like

Charger has strange behavior, now it isnā€™t charging Xiaomi MI5X (A1), but I can hear the charging start/stop sound on the phone.*
Samsung Galaxy S9+ is charging good in fast modeā€¦
*<EDIT: looks like phone is acting strange, after phone restart, charger is doing good, hmmā€¦>

As a matter of charger temperature, today I cannot get it over 45Ā°C even if charging PPM playing 1080p YouTubeā€¦

P.S. one nice picture with estimated remaining time on 96% :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Ivo and @mickeo. I bought this 60w charger and the issue with (what I believe was) being able to supply power and charge at same time has been resolved. As noted before - the PPM would switch from red to blue quite often while on and running - and the charger felt hot. I tested the new from fully charged and running - but also from 20% charged and running (so running & charging at the same time). Works like a charm. Seems a bit overkill to ship a charger to China and back?

1 Like

It certainly seems that way in my book.
But by all means do lodge a ticket with support@screeneo.com to at least register that your charger is doing this. Perhaps at some point in the near future you could send the charger back to a local / regional warehouse instead of all the way to HK.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting point, I wonder when this might if ever be possible since Phillips is international and it is also registered as Philips Electronics Australia Limited, it just makes sense to have it serviced locally, although I have no experience with their existing product line such as the PicoPix nano etc which is also listed on the local Australian site, so some more info on this would be nice.

PS, why do we send it back to Hong Kong when the factories are based in mainland China at Shenzhen if Iā€™m not mistaken? In fact why does it even ship out of Hong Kong when it can be done from Shenzhen? It just seem like an extra step isnā€™t it?

Hi there,

Same issue here. Finally received the projector and it does to charge properly up to the point that it is unusable. Plugged in the original cable and charger, light turns red. After a few minutes, light turns blue and charging stops. When using the projector while on the charger the screen goes black very briefly occasionally, which is a sign that the projector stopped charging. Unplugging and plugging in again makes it start charging again but only for a few minutes and the procedure repeats. I now left the projector on the charger over night, to see this morning that the lamp is blue again and the projector had stopped charging sometime during the night. I have tried the original charger and cable, as well as my laptop charger and another cable. All the same.

So, my projector is practically unusable. According to this thread here some folks found a solution with a different charger? I am doubtful because I used another charger (from my laptop) ā€“ but with no improvement. So, sending back the whole unit? How long will it take for a replacement? We have already waited more than six months more than what was initially promised to receive the (now seemingly faulty) projector in the first place :frowning:

Hi Thomas, Do you know specs (wattage - volts x amps) of your laptop charger?

Itā€™s a Mac power supply (from an MBP 13", 2018). 110V (US), 1.5A, 60W.

1 Like

Those are the input power specs, what are the output power specs?

Hello everybody.

Iā€™ve had my picopix for a month now and iā€™ve been having troubles since the first day.
Everything is working fine except for the power supply. Iā€™ll explain:

the unit doesnā€™t always draw power from the charger even if properly connected.
Iā€™m watching something with the charger connected. At a random point during the vision the unit stops drawing power from the charger and it runs only on battery. If I donā€™t notice the led turning blue (i.e. running on battery because it wasnā€™t fully charged) the battery will drain and the unit will turn off without giving me any warning ( this is while on hdmi. I noticed yesterday that while watching onboard netflix it gives a warning at 15%, thatā€™s useful).
If I notice, I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable in order for it to start charging/drawing power again. When I reconnect the cable it starts functioning normally for 20/30 minutes and then disconnects again.
This is really annoying and I really donā€™t think itā€™s intended.

What I tried:
letting the battery charge all the way up overnight and then try again - no difference
eco mode/normal mode - no difference
hdmi/netflix via the integrated os - no difference
another socket (i was being superstitious at this point and trying everything) - no difference

If I leave it connected while powered off the led turns blue when fully charged and then it stays lit, so it doesnā€™t seem to disconnect.

Also, I really donā€™t think it could be thermal-related, the unit is barely warm when it happens. The room is around 20Ā°C and the unit air flow itā€™s not obstructed in any way.

Please, help!

Greetings!

Do you have a similar charger you could try to use it with, one that has USB-C PD 15V at 3A at least?

Unfortunately not. The highest I have itā€™s 2A and itā€™s not going to work

1 Like