Scan projection area with built in camera

Was looking on the lightform.com page and how they use a projector an camera to scan an enviroment with patterns before projecting effects to the areas! Looks cool…

Now to the question, would the built in Camera in the PPM be possible to use to scan and build an area and also to detect object in line of sight to dim out and such? Or is the camera only available for the Autofocus function?

/J

1 Like

The AF camera apparently is part of a separate subsystem which unfortunately isn’t exposed as a camera to Android. I don’t get the reason for this as the RK SoC has a perfectly functional camera interface and enough CPU/GPU to perform contrast detection. Room for improvement both in functionality and cost savings. Maybe the AF supplier tries to hide their “secret” sauce.

1 Like

I think if they had the autofocus camera going through the android system then it wouldn’t work for HDMI or USB-c input similar to how 4 corner correction does not work.

It would be able to work the same way as today, there’s no focus pattern applied today if external sources are selected. The algorithm can still run.

1 Like

I was wondering if any progress has been made looking at ways to use the autofocus camera to perform a structure scan of the environment, similar to lighform.com? @Philips_Support_P would this be possible? I would be super interested to see this functionality for projection mapping uses.

Thanks!
Bryan

This is a question i’ve asked earlier cause yeah theres a camera and i was thinking the same thing… if this could support lightform it would be awesome…
Answer back then is it’s completly disconnected from android and is purely used for autofocus and vertical keystone. so with the PicoPix Max it’s physically impossible unless you wanna break it open :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are there any Android apps for projector mapping? Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Have not tried on picomax, but these look promising starting points

Although you can always 4 corner correct an android source anyway… mapping Software would correct the hdmi signal i , when sending from host machine.

2 Likes

@Philips_Support_P Is there a way to use the autofocus camera to perform a structure scan of the environment, similar to lighform.com? I would be super interested to see this functionality for projection mapping uses.

Thanks!
Bryan

Hi, you probably mistyped http://lightform.com

And duplicate Scan projection area with built in camera

2 Likes