Slow performance and choppy frame rates

I have had a generally poor experience with watching video through various software. For example, the Blockbuster.dk app: the frame rate couldn’t keep up, resulting in choppy, uneven playback.

I am puzzled by this. Surely any device should be able to play simple HD video - even my smart watch can do that with no hickups, as could my phone in 2007 and my computer in the 90s.

Since this device is targeted at playing video content, what is the point if it can’t play normal HD video at 24 FPS, which should be the the absolute bare bones minimum?

Anyone else have similar experiences watching video through various apps on in web browsers on the PPM?

1 Like

Do not use 4 corner correction and enable automatic vertical keystone correction. Apparently, 4 corner correction greatly affects the performance because it uses pure software.

2 Likes

Thanks - but surely that would be done in the graphics hardware and not impact playback performance?

The software quality on the PPM has been pretty woeful for me. Even just navigating the basic interface is choppy and unresponsive, and doesn’t feel like a 2019 product at all. Philips, are you going to fix this?

1 Like

Sadly it seems to be a hardware limitation when handling software features like 4 corner correction. It makes 4 corner correction kind of useless :sweat_smile:

Right now, it’s highly suggested to turn on vertical keystone correction and not use 4 corner correction. The performance difference is considerable. You can watch 60 fps in youtube smoothly.

1 Like

Distorting an image real time with 4 corners with no performance penalty should be easy if done correctly on the GPU. Even very old mobile chips could do this, like from early iPhones. If this makes everything slow, Philips is doing it wrong.

1 Like

I agree. I am a GPU engineer myself and it should be able to handle 4 corner without distortion easily with Mali 450 GPU in Rockchip. Philips is just not doing their work.

2 Likes