Sonos integration

If sonos is integrated, will ppmax be able to play audio to sonos even if input is hdmi or usb c?

Seems pretty unlikely that it would be able to send hdmi audio to Sonos, for the same reason it can’t do Bluetooth.

Will indeed not be possible to send hdmi and usb c audio to sonos for the same reason as bluetooth.

I just bought 2nd hand sonos play 1 at a very good price, looking forward!

Thanks for your idea with the splitter. Just received my ppm and tried that. However it doesn’t work – and after some research I think I know why. My setup is: Input HDMI (from PC, ipad, Blueray-Play etc.), Splitter (1 in, 2 out), one out goes to the ppm, the other to the Sonos Beam. But the splitter can’t produce a ARC signal (which must come from the TV because of some kind of technical stuff I don’t understand. People talk about severl kinds of handshakes). So I didn’t manage to connect my Beam and the ppm via HDMI and the suggested splitter setup.
Maybe it works with that optical thing, but there I don’t have a clue how to get that out of any splitter (couldn’t find one that does that, maybe I didn’t search with the correct wording, I am not an expert with these things.).
Do you have another idea or tipp for me? Thanks!

Well yes, you would need a proper splitter like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Splitter-DAC-1080P/dp/B07D7M8LDN?th=1&psc=1

By “the same signal” I ment not exactly to plug in the hdmi directly in the Beam but to have the signal from the source instead of trying to get audio out of PPM.

So with this device you get the hdmi signal from PC to the HDMI in of audio-extractor and HDMI out goes to PPM. Optical out through the adapter of the Beam goes to the Beam HDMI in. This should work I think.

To be honest I haven’t looked much into this yet. You should read if this device fits your needs or you need something similar but with different features.

1 Like

Btw I’m not sure if your PC has any sound in the HDMI at all. If you can try plug it in TV and see if it does. It could be video only.

Thanks! It seems it does have sound – I plugged it to the ppm and the ppm does make some noises which match with the stuff happening on the screen (but I would not call it good audio, it’s far from that).

If it is for PC you may want to try this An easy method to stream Windows PC audio wirelessly to Sonos, using a third-party app. | Sonos Community

Thanks a lot for the link! Not sure if this will work (macuser) and the author writes about a several seconds delay.

As a Mac user don’t you have Airplay? If you do you can cast the audio to the beam wireless over Airplay. It will be stereo but better than internal speaker I guess.

1 Like

True, that’s how I am doing it now. And it is stereo, all the “home cinema” features are gone. However there is a minimal lag and when I connect a blueray player (Playstation) the airplay is not available. I need something for that case, too.

So have you decided if you’re gonna get that audio extractor/splitter DAC? I still don’t have PPM so kind of pointless for me to go that way. I still don’t know if I’m going to use external device. At first I though I won’t need anything but wireless but now I see a lot of people complain about internal apps. So if they are really so bad I’ll have to attach Nvidia shield to PPM so I’ll need a solution. Please if you get something like that write back here to let me know if it works as expected. Thanks.

Ok, I will let you know. I didn’t order anything yet because I am quite busy and traveling a lot. Did a little research and any splitter with the optical SPDIF out should work. I think I’ll order 2-3 different ones and test them to see which one works for my setup. But that can take a little time because I am not at home a lot at the moment. Let me know when you get your ppm if I can’t test the splitters before. Thanks

Got an Audio Extractor today and tried it. It works.

Nothing fanzy, there are many like this one and the price varies little. There are more expensive ones and cheaper ones, too. I chose this one for the first test because the explanation was the best in German – what made me think that maybe they took the time to really translate their product description. In other countries: Just search for the product name or altneratively search for hdmi audio extractor 4k to toslink (spdif).

Works fine for me until now, nothing to complain about it. ARC has to be turned off on it and the setting has to be set to 5.1CH. From there on I had nothing to complain about. Works fine with the ipad and iphone, on a Macbook I am still fiddling with the internal settings of the Macbook itself, but there it works fine with Airplay anyway. Didn’t check with a Blueray player until now.

Hope this helps.

Got another 2 x play1 and 1xplay5 gen2, looking forward!

@Philips_Support_N – any news on the sonos integration?

Our first mission is to correct the current bug and then we will start implementing the other features such as Sonos and other.

2 Likes

Hi @Philips_Support_N – just tried again with a DVD and the splitter I mentioned above, and this time it didn’t work unfortunately.
Can you already estimate when the Sonos integration will be available?
Thanks

Hi,
I’d like to know if my PpM will be able to connect with my Sonos one speakers in wireless
Julien