Sound/speaker issue with NeoPix NPX647

Hi, I have a problem with sound/speaker volume. Every 10-15 minutes the volume goes down and I have to press the volume button (+ and -) on the remote control to restore the volume. The problem is quite annoying. I found on the internet that a lot of people have this problem. This error occurs after connecting for example xbox via hdmi or macbook via hdmi (I checked on different HDMI cables also) and even android wirelessly. I believe it is a software error. I bought NeoPix ACE NPX647. I have the latest software version NPX647_V1.0.5

Hi @lukasz our R&D is aware of this problem. We have received information that the handling of the key press detection is too sensitive. It may be possible to solve it by a software update. Our engineers are working on it on a priority basis and I hope that it will be solved very soon.

@Philips_Support_P Thank you for your reply, I will look forward to the new updates. However, I think this is a different bug. How to reproduce the problem? I have prepared 3 test scenarios.
Scenario 1:

1. connect your xbox/pc/android to the projector
  2. set the volume to 20
  3. wait approximately 10-15 minutes
  4. the volume automatically set to approximately 5
  5. Press the “volume +” or “volume -” button on the remote control
  6. the volume goes back to 20
  7. wait another 10-15 minutes
  8. the volume goes again to approx. 5
  9. repeat 4-7 all the time.

Scenario 2

2. set the volume to 0 or “mute”
  3. wait approximately 10-15 minutes
  4. the volume automatically set to approximately 5
  5. Press the “volume +” or “volume -” button on the remote control
  6. the volume goes back to 0 or mute
  7. wait another 10-15 minutes
  8. the volume goes again to approx. 5
  9. repeat 4-7 all the time.

Scenario 3 (surprising)

2. set the volume to 40 (max)
  3. wait approximately 10-15-30+ minutes
  4. everything work well!

It looks like something is wrong with the rounding of floating point numbers.
Assume that the volume is represented by the floating-point arithmetic.
4 volume = 4/40 => 0.1f
8 volume = 8/40 => 0.2f
20 volume 20/40 => 0,5f
40/40 => 1.0f

I think, every 10-15 minutes some thread sets some current state of the projector. During this recalculation it rounds the sound volume data wrongly. During cleaning, the thread truncates the sound data to 0.1f or 0.2f, and therefore the sound is always set to around volume 5. Thanks!

1 Like

hey Luka, that’s very nice of you to send us this. This is really helping. Our Team in China is now on holidays for Chinese New year and will come back the week after. We are pushing them to resolve this issue asap.

Hi @lukasz, thanks for your patience. A firmware update V1.1.0 is available for NeoPix Ace (NPX647) which should fix this problem. Please update online on the projector. You can also download the file from the Philips website if you wish to update it offline (refer to the user manual for instructions).

1 Like

Thank you for solving the problem! I have updated the device, and currently everything works fine. :heart_eyes: :star_struck: