The future of PicoPix Max | UI/Features you would like to see

Let us work on it and we will answer before the end of the week

Hello @heavyghost good news, we are working on a Home Screen overhaul with visual refresh, recommended content pulled from your apps, ‘continue watching…’ and similar features you expect from a media device.

A quick app switcher is also in the works.

The colour-adjustment ‘looks’ feature will be finally added to the Home Screen too.

Custom wallpapers feature is being added.

Moreover we are planning to add ‘saved room setup’ feature so you can save your picture position and colour settings for different rooms, but it will not make 4-corner correction possible for HDMI input.

A remote control app is currently no longer in the roadmap.

Please feel free to highlight any feature which is particularly important to you. We will try our best to include it.

5 Likes

A remote control app.
(I can try, can’t I?)

Great news.

BT 5.0 supports multiple device pairing and was advertised as a feature at one point, be great if this could happen.

Colour adjustment for each power setting (Presentation mode still looks weird with off whites)

Ongoing Plex/Netflix/Disney/YouTube/Amazon etc support ← this is a bug bear for TV owners, where manufacturers seem to walk away from this after a few years.

Any Battery saving lessons you’ve learned that could be applied.

Interestingly now you’ve asked, I’m struggling to come up with anything ground breaking.

A few suggestions:

• Fix slow performance of launcher / app switching (as mentioned by others)
  • System-wide audio delay setting (so that AirPlay/Sonos speaker can be used via AirMusic with eg. YouTube, TV on demand apps – not just Kodi and VLC)
  • Remote control app (I know you’ve said not on the roadmap, but I’m putting in a vote anyway)
  • It would be nice to be able to remove app tiles from the home screen that promo an app that isn’t installed. I managed to get the full version of AirMusic Pro working in order to use a Sonos speaker, but the trial version is still there on the home screen and can’t be removed.
1 Like

Please, solve de autofocus issue with the nex update. It stopped working, neither changing the update (downgrade) nor with a hard reset. Just stopped after the last update.

@Philips_Support_P

I would like to be able to remove the File explorer app and the Media center app from the homescreen. I can’t get them to connect to my network so they’re useless to me and I’m using other apps for that.

Also it would be welcome if we’d be able to ‘group’ apps (in a folder which you can name yourself). For that of course it must be possible to drag and drop the apps.

1 Like

Couple of suggestions:
-Increase digital zoom (now limited at 80% and I currently use keystone to zoom in).
-Double bluethoot was in the pipeline at some point, will be nice to have it.

Cheers

1 Like

I think they have completed avoided ppm. I have got a good for nothing projector in my hand.

2 Likes

Hello, our engineers are working on the optimization that @Philips_Support_P explained last time.
We will keep you posted asap.

Hi all,

First, I’d like to say that the content recommendations / ‘play next’ feature is unfortunately cancelled (for now) because of lack of API support, although we continue to look for workarounds. Regarding dual Bluetooth, I don’t have a clear update yet. Originally the chip supplier was unable to provide the required software for this feature, even though the hardware itself is BT5 and should be capable. We are checking if this has changed.

In progress:

1. Fix slow performance of launcher.
  2. Separate ‘cloud apps’ section, not mixed with your installed apps.
  3. Better organisation of apps, grouping, sorting, favourites.
  4. Visual refresh.

@PabloC can you contact Support (use the button on the top right of this page) with your issue? Autofocus works for the vast majority of users so it’s likely a problem with your unit that should still be under warranty.

@KJV: you will be able to hide apps you don’t want to see, and groups apps as well.

@GiacomoR the 80% zoom is a limit of the previous generation of chips. Newers products do go down to 50%, but even for those users we highly recommend trying to find a solution for moving the projector closer to your screen. Not only will you get higher resolution, but also the display will be significantly brighter.

2 Likes

Thanks @Philips_Support_P for the reply and the suggestion (bit trivial thought). Unfortunately, my current set up do not allow me to move closer my projector. I know the limitation of the chips (even though I found extremely unfair that early backers have lower quality) but my suggestion is to have an option on the keystone correction to zoom 4 corners at the same time since many of us are using the keystone correction to zoom more and it is super painful to do it manually at every corners.

1. It’s been mentioned that Google will never certify a projector - so how come Screeneo U4 or Xgimi Halo, and some other projectors have Android TV?

2. Since it’s not possible to have Android TV, could you provide auto-update feature of at least some major streaming apps, so there would be no need to manually download apk?

3. There is no sound in Disney Plus. Not sure what is it related to - I also have had issues recentl with no sound when using a bluetooth speaker with my TV and Google Chromecast - it was fine with TV’s in built speakers

4. Normally with projectors pretty much 100% of light is covered with visible screen/image. With PPX, evend if placed correctly without need for keystone correction, there is still additional like 5% of visible light/frame around the screen. Why is that? Could it be optimized with a software update?

5. With PPX620 V2, manual focus control no longer works

6. USB-C (theunerbolt 4 in a laptop) to usb-c video port in ppx620 doesn’t work (it’s actually a projector trying to charge my laptop, instead of a laptop sending video signal to a projector). Can it be fixed?

7. Not sure yet whether it’s been improved in V2, but in V1, when I had a BT speaker connected, using left and right arrow to move backward/forward would put a volume up/down bar on the screen (and in some other cases too)

8. Find a workaround for Netflix :slight_smile: since PPX 620 with has new CPU and GPU, and as a result issues with performance have been solved as well as HDR10 support added, I feel like there is no longer as much need for external stick as it used to be

I have issues with brightnes with V2, but not sure whether it’s a soft or rather hardware/charger issue.

1 Like

Hello

1: Android AOSP as nothing to with ANdroid TV. Our PicoPix Max as Android AOSP so it will never be certified. Only ANdroid TV projector can be
2: you can set this up in APTOIDE except for Netflix
3: for Disney+: there is another discussion about this. Disney+ here: Disney+ not working - #51 by Sfddgdg_Ddgg
4: unfortunately not, all DLP projectors have this frame around
5: this is weird, we will have a look at it, thanks for pointing this out!
6: which laptop do you have ? We tested with a lot of them without any issues
7: we will have a look at it
8: unfortunately no work around with Netflix
Concerning your issue with brightness: we are checking this.

sorry the off-topic, just wanna say congrats for the new Screeneo U4, terrific device, and is smart that is a different thing!

@Philips_Support_N @Philips_Support_P @Philips_Support_S would Philips consider opening up the system and let the great people at https://forum.xda-developers.com/ work on bringing roms to the projector, we would get newer versions of the OS, and we would also get GSM working. Even Anker got GSM working on it’s very 1st capsule projector.

4 Likes

Hey,

Any updates on progress of the visual refresh? Thanks for replying to the BT5 query. No idea what’s going off with the auto focus on the V2, mine has lost the ability to manually focus too, so you end up just hoping the auto focus drops on the best setting at some point after repeated trying.

V1 PPM presentation mode was definitely brighter. V2 PPM Presentation mode now is instead a strange colour palette.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi, I got a Screeneo launcher update today. Every time install those, in the end the system says App not installed. However, i’m on 1.8.3 now. Is that the latest? Also, I can’t say I can spot a different user experience, can you explain what is new in the launcher, please?

@Philips_Support_N

Same problem for me with my McBookPro.
I hadn’t noticed this during the first months, but I had to replace my powerbank (the one that came with the PPXMax and, one day, began to smoke strangely, and never worked again).
With the new powerbank (difficult to find something compatible with PPX), when charging my PPX and connecting my McBookPro with the other USB-C port, The screen image jumps (quick black screen) about once every four seconds.
The PPX is using the USB-C connection with my laptop to charge it !
I have to charge my laptop with its own powerbank to see my screen not flashing.
I didn’t noticed that with the original supplied powerbank, but I don’t know where to find a correct one.
Not very funny.