Troubleshooting: Projector won't power on / no picture display / shuts down soon after starting

@IvoGrijt @Philips_Support_3 @PhilipsNono @Philips_Support_T please take a look at the above message!

The most important thing in your experience isn’t mentioned: what brightness level do you use it on: Energy Saver, Normal, or Presentation?
And how many minutes does it exactly run on at these settings?

Check display problems

If your projector can turn on but doesn’t display any picture, check this as you power on the projector:

• Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen? Yes
    • if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged. Yes everything is unplugged
    • does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear? NO
    • does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen? NO
  • Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section. NO it doesn’t power off

The projector once it show the picomax logo, the light of it goes really really dim and it doesn’t respond to any buttons of commands. It stay on until i force shut it down by pressing the power button. The power is blue the entire time. It happened after I flashed the firmware to the latest version so I suspect it is messed up that way.

how can i fix it? there’s no menu or anything so i can’t redo the firmware

@Philips_Support_3 @IvoGrijt @PhilipsNono

Sent email to support@screeneo.com

Check Power Adapter and USB cable

Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds? Yes

Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable? Yes

Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter. No

If you’re using the supplied adapter and cable, continue to the next section.

Check battery charge status

Make sure the projector is powered OFF.

Connect the power adapter to the projector. Make sure you plug it into the right side USB-C port (charging port), not the left side (video port)!

Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work? Charged for 15 mins approx. and turns to blue

If the LED doesn’t light up at all, check that:

the adapter is receiving power from the wall socket.

do you have another USB-C device? Can the PicoPix adapter charge that device? If not, the adapter may be faulty.

If the LED lights up blue, it means the battery is fully charged. Continue to next section.

Check display problems

If your projector can turn on but doesn’t display any picture, check this as you power on the projector:

Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen? No

if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged.

does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear? No

does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen? No

Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section. No

Thermal shutdown

If you don’t see the Philips startup screen, or the projector powers off soon after starting up, check the following:

Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector? Yes

Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air? Yes

What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!) 87m

What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector? 69°F

Hello @boetn, does this happen only on battery power, but never when pugged in? If yes, I can confirm we have reports of similar issue, and it seems to be related to the battery circuitry. If it happens even when plugged in, then it’s a different issue, it could be thermal.

For the first case, please open a case with our support team. It should be a warranty replacement.

Hi.
I have the same problem.
Projector starts up - showing the Phillips logo and the fan i running. Then shortly after shuts down again, leaving the light bulp on, but no image.
I have been using the projector for about 3 months, without any problem.
I have tried your troubleshooting instructions without any result.
What should I do?
Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the feedback! I will open ticket with the support team.
It indeed only happens when it’s not plugged in, when using it on AC power everything is working flawlessly.

@IvoGrijt sorry I thought of mentioning this but apperently I forgot. But the thing is it doesn’t matter. On either mode (Energy saver, normal and presentation) the problem accures. And the time before it shuts down is completely random in my experience. Sometimes it happens after 2 minutes, sometimes it will last 10 minutes.

1 Like

Even this matters, which is why I asked. It means the use of the 4th LED for instance isn’t of consequence, helping to narrow causes down.
Thanks for the feedback!

Hi.
I am living in Taiwan
I have the same problem.
Projector starts up - do not show the Phillips logo and the fan is running,
but no light is emited.
I have been using the projector for about 2 months.
I have tried your troubleshooting instructions without any result.
What should I do?
I am living in Taiwan.
In case I need any technical support or repair , who should I ask for?
Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

We have 2 pico pix max’s. One we have about one month, the other one just came today. The oldest one had problems that it did not want to show picture, but only sometimes. The oldest one is running 1.1.05 and the new one that came today works fine and is running 1.1.02. Can someone test if their picopix max is running fine on 1.1.05. Because maybe its software related.

Thanks

My projector worked fine for a couple of months and I’m really pleased with it!

But unfortunately a couple of days ago it stopped working. The fan turns on loudly but no Philips logo appears and no projection. I tried all the suggested troubleshooting steps but without a result.

When I put the charger in I see a red light until the battery is fully charged and it turns blue. When I unplug and press power I hear the fan but I don’t see the blue operation led come on and nothing happens from there.

Is the bugreport@screeneo.com still the correct e-mail to report this issue to?

Btw I live in the Netherlands. Can’t get any lower in altitude than that I suppose. I always use the projector on the tripod on a stable surface so I can’t imagine it getting overheated.

Please let me know what I can do to get it replaced.

After a few short weeks of using my projector with no problems, suddenly it started to shutdown immediately after turning it on and had no charging light. I went through the troubleshooting steps with zero success. Lastly, I used the USB-C cable that I use to charge my MacBook and had success (red light, device is charging). I then tried to use the supplied cable to charge my MacBook and get no power. I believe my cable may be defective somehow. How can I go about getting a replacement? Do I just email support@screeneo.com?

Hi, I just sent an email to screeneo support (request 33664) This is my first failure after less than a year. I use my PPM moderately and take very good care of it.
My problem is this:

My PPM starts but I have NO image, NO light **AND sometimes YES, I have one picture, rarely, logo or desktop empty, when I restart. (fans are running) :

Out of 15 tests, 12 times no picture, black screen. 1 more times, the logo appears and the image is frozen, I can’t do anything. And the other 2 times I reached the desktop but the same, I can’t do anything except turn off.

IMPORTANT : The problem appeared 2 minutes after turning on the PPM, on desktop the image to change resolution and everything froze. The pixels got bigger.

• Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds? YES
  • Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable? YES
  • Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter. NO

• Make sure the projector is powered OFF. YES
  • Connect the power adapter to the projector. Make sure you plug it into the right side USB-C port (charging port), not the left side (video port)! YES
  • Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work? YES led red and blue after 3 hours
  • If the LED doesn’t light up at all, check that:
    • the adapter is receiving power from the wall socket.
    • do you have another USB-C device? Can the PicoPix adapter charge that device? If not, the adapter may be faulty.
  • If the LED lights up blue, it means the battery is fully charged. Continue to next section.

Check display problems

• Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen? NO and YES When I restart I see the logo sometimes and other times not. When it appears, but I can’t do anything, all keys are stuck. I managed 2 times to reach the desktop, but the same, no function works. the 2nd time, no application icon appeared. I was stuck too.
    • if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged.
    • does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear? NO
    • does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen? NO
  • Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section.

Thermal shutdown

If you don’t see the Philips startup screen, or the projector powers off soon after starting up, check the following:

• Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector? YES
  • Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air? Yes
  • What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!) Paris/35 meters
  • What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector? 19°C

Didi you try a Factory reset?
(Don’t know if it’s possible in your situation, because you sometimes get a picture and sometimes not)

Thanks Davy for your help.
I just tried the “factory reset” 4 times, same problem: the PPM turns on, the fans too, but NO IMAGE, NO LIGHT.
(I turn off the PPM, without seeing anything, by pressing the “power” then “ok” button on the remote control).

Hi @Philips_Support_P @Philips_Support_T My ppx max shuts down right after boot up regardless to battery powered or charger connected. please help me sort out the issue. Here is my answers to the troubleshooting steps…

Are you pressing and holding the power button (on the projector or the remote) for a few seconds? YES

Are you using the supplied power adapter and USB-C cable? YES

Do you see red/blue flashing LED on plugging in the charger? This means the power adapter you’ve connected is not supported. Please use the supplied power adapter. NO

Make sure the projector is powered OFF.YES

Connect the power adapter to the projector. Make sure you plug it into the right side USB-C port (charging port), not the left side (video port)! YES

Does the LED turn red? If yes, let it charge for 3 hours until the LED turns blue. Then unplug it, and power it on. Does it work? It turns on but powers off right after boot up, every time.

If the LED doesn’t light up at all, check that: IT DOES

the adapter is receiving power from the wall socket. YES IT IS

do you have another USB-C device? Can the PicoPix adapter charge that device? If not, the adapter may be faulty. YES, CHARGES MY ONEPLUS PHONE.

If the LED lights up blue, it means the battery is fully charged. Continue to next section. YES

Check display problems

If your projector can turn on but doesn’t display any picture, check this as you power on the projector: IT HAS DISPLAY

Do you see the white Philips logo startup screen? YES

if yes, but there is no picture afterwards, check that all cables (HDMI / USB-C) are unplugged.

does pressing the home button on the remote or touchpad causes the home screen to appear? It shuts down before remote or trackpad can be used.

does pressing the autofocus button on the remote show the focusing screen? As soon as the autofocus at boot happens then it powers off.

Does the projector power off shortly after showing the home screen? It could be a thermal shutdown. check next section. YES

Thermal shutdown

Do you hear the fan spinning up when you power on the projector? YES

Do you have at least 30 cm free space on all sides of the projector to allow free movement of air? YES

What is the altitude of your city? (the atmosphere might be thin!) READING, UNITED KINGDOM. 61m.

What is the room temperature where you’re using the projector? 20*c

I got reply back from philips saying…

With regards to your return query,

After December 31 2020 due to new import tax rules in the UK, we are regrettably no longer able to organize the return shipment to Germany for you.

The arrangement of this will have to be done by yourself directly in the UK using Royal Mail or another local courier service.

Please send your Max to:

Euro Repair Center
Europa-Allee-77
54343 Föhren
Germany

To that I questioned if it is covered under warranty? Or if there is any other costs that may incur and How long will the proccess take?
I am waiting for their reply.

I am happy to send it to them but how will i keep track of repair/replacement proccess once i send it to them?
My support ticket is #40418
@Philips_Support_P @Philips_Support_T
Philips Projection @support@screeneo.com
Is there a form that i can fill about my address details or return log? Please

Dear User,

We can see on the system that you have since been offered a reply via our CS team, please let us know if you require further assistance,

BR,

@Ivogrijt
I have the same problems as shown in this thread. Did all the things recommended, however projector is turning off straight after starting up.
Is it possible that I can send the projector to you to look at, please?