Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems

So it’s not actual video output but adb screen mirroring.

Maybe there’s similar app for Android to act like car unit

1 Like

Then is indeed not the same technology used for video out via HDMI/DP.
My wild guess is it’s using this.

Which is a great tool for screen mirroring without the need to root an android device :wink:

1 Like

Is there any list of devices supporting USB-C video connection?
I tried Sony XZ2 Compact and Samsung Galaxy S8, both of them did not work via USB-C cable (no signal). The XZ2 Compact may not support alternate mode, but the Samsung Galaxy S8 does. Anyone got it to work with a Galaxy S8?
A list of supported/unsupported devices would help a lot of people I guess.

1 Like

A community-created compatibility list would be great. I’ll make one.

Officially we do not provide such a list (yet) for various reasons.

2 Likes

@PhilipsEngineering - Just saw this reply. As the person first identifying this MBP 16" 2019 issue, is there any possibility that I can get a replacement PPM? What is the process? (Alteratively, I’m happy to flash my firmware, if you tell me how!). Many thanks, Paul

Hi @PEHowland, there’s no replacement needed, you can upgrade the USB-C video firmware yourself. Please contact our support helpdesk, they’ll provide you the tools and instructions.

I have problems with the USB-C connection too

Samsung Tab 5e works
Samsung S20+ doesn’t work
Dell XPS 13 (2018) works
Samsung S9 Duo doesn’t work

Samsung S20+ works @ Dell S2719DC

It isn’t a problem with the S20+ in general

I tested it with the cable from the box and the cable from the monitor

Update:

i had the operturnity to test with a second S20+ and had the same result. i only get the yellow no signal screen.

I was in the Jordan Batch.

@IvoG
Do I also need a firmware update? Or was it a completely different topic?

Update:

And i have the same problem with a S9 Duo

The S9 and S20+ are european versions with the exynos chip

Hello all

I also have a Macbook 16“ (2019) and ran into the issue with the USB-C Video not displayed on the PPX620.
On a HP Elitebook X360 there was also the annoying 10-15sec Warning of USB Device - only my iPad Pro worked properly.

I saw @IvoGrijt message here and can confirm: with the small firmware update all my USB-C Video capable devices run flawlessly! Thank you - once again @IvoGrijt !

Response time of Support Team was incredible too: within 10min i‘ve got the Link to the needed files after Request and another 10min until i was testing it!

However: to apply the firmware updater (a Chinese Windows Executable) I had to use a USB-C to USB-A (3.0) Converter attached to my Macbook and a USB-A to USB-C cable (assumably just a USB 2.0 compatibility) to the PPM. No direct USB-C to USB-C cable worked, because my Macbook did not recognize the PPM as Serial Device via USB-C Or Thunderbolt3 Cables. Ah…and I did the flash via Parallels Win10 VM (which I know: it is not recommended - however I am an IT guy and did once even reprogram my Volkswagen via ParallelsVM Win7 and a USB OBDC Adapter Cable) :wink:

What a support from Philips…i am still baffled! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Do you get a short notication “USB device not recognized” every 1-2 seconds in a loop?

Is this USB-C patch expected to be included in a future normal firmware update? Or is it only available on request?
While I’m not using this feature now, I will in future so it would be good to know!

1 Like

I tried with a MacBook Pro 13 from 2018: works as expected.

It’s not patchable with or from the OS firmware, it requires a cabled connection to the USB port to flash the USB-C video chip itself. So it will not be included with the OS firmware updates, but newer production runs will already have this on board.

Can you advise which serial numbers (or other identifier) would indicate whether I need to manually flash or if mine is was part of the newer production runs?

1 Like

I can’t personally, perhaps @Philips_Support_P can enlighten us…

No, the smartphone just indicates that it is charging. The PPM switches to USB-C input but shows the no signal screen. :-/

Any news, updates or solutions concerning the usb-c - Windows 10 -problem? When connecting the PPM to a pc through usb-c video, Windows still gives a connection error notification approx. every ten seconds. Notification vanishes as soon as it comes. Worst part is the picture freezing for a moment when this happens. Makes watching movies annoying.

Thanks!

Bump. The problem persists every eight seconds in my life.

Seems like my PPM is not working properly @Philips_Support_P.

Another usb-c video problem is the force charging of the connected device. There must be a way to cancel this function as it destroys PPM’s battery and the battery of a connected device. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Have you actually sent an email to support@screeneo.com about this issue? If not, please do so.

1 Like

The first shipment of around 1500 pcs has the older USB-C firmware, and around 750 pcs of a more recent shipment as well, producing during the move to the new factory. I don’t have the serial numbers handy but I’ll check it up. Only around 1.7% of the units should have the older USB-C firmware, so you should generally not need to perform this update manually.

3 Likes

We’re aware of this issue. It’s because of the way the USB-C video port is internally connected, which trips some laptops/phones into thinking it’s a USB2.0 device. I’ll update this thread as soon as Engineering has found a solution.

This is a separate issue from the MacBook 16" compatibility update.

5 Likes