USB-C Video Out not working with Smartphones and Tablets

I have been able to play a bit with the Pico and have a problem with the USB videoout.

I mainly want to use the Pico Max on the go. That means that I want to use streaming apps with my smartphone and mirror the picture with USB-C.

Why am I doing this?

In Germany, T-Mobile has a tariff with unlimited data volume for streaming services. In order to use this, I have to run the streaming services on my smartphone on the go.

WIFI is usually not available.

So far I’ve been able to test the following

Manufacturer model video out via usb-c works supports ALT Mode HDMI supports ALT Mode DP
Google Pixel 4 :x: :x: :x:
Samsung Tab 5e :white_check_mark: :grey_question: :grey_question:
Samsung S9 Duo :x: :grey_question: :grey_question:
Samsung S20+ :x: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

I talked to the Samsung Support and I was confirmed that the s20+ supports ALT Mode HDMI and DP

1 Like

You could:

• try updating your USB-C chip, see this post on the topic: Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems
  • connect the PPM to a Hotspot created on your phone, and use the built-in apps then. Casting should also be possible as they’re then connected to the same network.

I did and it didn’t solve the problem

How about the other option?

The “Stream On” Option from T-Mobile doesnt work via Tethering :frowning:

But you can create the hotspot, join the PPX to it, stream to your phone, and cast to the PPX. That way it’s not the tethered device downloading via T-Mobile data but the phone.

I would be interested to know if this works for anyone with a Galaxy S20 or S20 +

At the moment it looks like that only affects me :man_shrugging:

Okay, I haven’t seen it that way. That could be a work around.

Update

Casting is not a solution because it doesn’t work properly :frowning: