Use the PPM to project an external TV signal

Hi everyone,
I’m think this question is somewhere in the forum, but I took a long time to search before asking it and I didn’t find it. So my questions are:
*** How can I use the PPM to project the TV signal? **
*** Which portable device would replace my normal external TV tuner?**
Thank you very much.
Pablo

Not sure if this will work over the USB-C port, will need @Philips_Support_P to confirm

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer.
I want to connect my own TV signal cable to watch all public and private channels.
Can I do it with this?
Then I need to confirm with technical support if it works too.

1 Like

Hi, I think this can be of help :wink:

2 Likes

Not over USB-C, only through the USB-A port (no actual USB data communications to Android in the USB-C video/charger ports)

3 Likes

Thought so, then perhaps this can work?

2 Likes

I am using a sat tv receiver that is able to stream 1-2 tv channels in the local Network. I have a octagon SF8008 twin sat receiver that is linux based and runs open atv. On the PPM I just need to install Kodi and the fitting enigma sat receiver plug in. Then you can see all available channels including epg Information within Kodi and can also switch channels or start a recording or playback a previous recording. All working with the local network over WiFi without any cabling. I can carry around the ppm without any cabling in my home and watch sat tv. :slight_smile: Linux based sat tv receivers like the octagon are quite cheap these days. - I payed around 100€ for the twin sat receiver version.

5 Likes

Thank you very much, this option looks very interesting

1 Like

I have a few of what I think is an older version of that converter and while technically that sort of conversion isn’t allowed by the USB-IF it works well. My converters will only run SuperSpeed if the USB-C plug is connected “right” way up, so there’s a 50/50 chance that I have to turn the plug 180 degrees for it to do SuperSpeed, but for regular USB2 it works both ways. Two of these adapters and a USB-C cable makes a nice USB cable to talk to the Rockchip bootrom as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@pacarg, regarding the Geniatech MyGica suggested by @ThunderStrk, please notice that there are two flavours:

• PT360: it has a microUSB connector
  • PT362: it has a USB-C connector
    I do own the PT360 and works fine with the help of a micro-USB to USB-A OTG adapter.
    I’m not sure if the PT362 with an USB-C to USB-A adapter could work.
3 Likes

Hey this is an interesting setup. Can you please share a bit more on this topic , what the setup is exactly and how you’ve connected all? I’m new to this but aways wanted to do it. If you can also share some resources/guides, it will be great! Thanks.

2 Likes

Setup is pretty much straight Forward. - The sat receiver is connected with the sat antenna and the local network and of course the TV. On the ppm you simply have to install kodi and the enigmal sat tv plugin, configure the ip adress of the sat receiver, and that’s it. You can control the sat receiver over Kodi with all necessary functions. There are even android or ios apps for these kind of sat receiver so I can watch sat tv on my iPad or phone on my balcony or whereever I want in the house :slight_smile: Using a twin sat receiver gives the freedom to watch one channel on the TV and another one on a second device. (or record one channel, and watch another one)…. works pretty well and better than I expected.

4 Likes

How does that sat receiver handle CAMs? Is it capable of recording a scrambled program and then play it back through the CAM (or perhaps even recording it descrambled)? I looked at the description and it states that it has a CA slot but not how the CAM is integrated.

2 Likes

I’m mainly focused on german free tv , i.e. mostly news (n-tv) or some crime drama (Tatort), so I can’t state here on scrambled programs. But I think it is possible to use official smart cards with this receiver. As far as I know it is only possible to record descrambled programs, not scrambled contents that has to be descrambled afterwards.

2 Likes

That makes sense. The Nordic and the US sat market uses a lot more scrambling, so basically CAM support is a must. Too bad a lot of the providers loves to do CI+ hard pairing between CAM and receiver these days making it more difficult to use an “open” receiver.

2 Likes

Open ATV has a lot of options to include several cards via some plugin software cams. When you google for it you will find a lot of forums that deal with that stuff. It is a linux based sat receiver suite that is developed since years. - So far those sat receivers have been quite expensive like the dream box. These days there are a lot of quite cheap platforms based on a ARM Cortex A53 + Hisilicon 3798MV200 chipset. These receivers can decode perfectly 4K channels. It’s impressive how much receiver you get for so less money. And there are daily updates for them…… For me stream functionality was the reason to give it a try, and as said it works better than expected…. Another cheap receiver would be the “gigablue trio 4k” with cable, sat and dvb-t2 tuner. There are some other derivates around, and they all com around 100€…

3 Likes

That sounds very interesting indeed! Dreambox I remember, and I also ran MythTV years ago. Haven’t been much into the satellite stuff since I moved to the US in 2010 so I guess A LOT has happened the past 10 years. 100€ sounds crazy cheap!

2 Likes

MyGica WiTV2 work well with my PPM, it communicates via WIFI.