Variable clock speed

Yeah CPU usage and temperature constantly changes that seem normal but so far @Addo seem to be the only one with variables which makes sense that it shouldn’t be constant, I feel left out haha just need some official Phillips explanation

1 Like

Geometry corrections are supposed to be expensive. I have them turned off, as far as I can tell. The only other significant change I can think of is that I have installed an extra keyboard.

Adding some screenshots of various settings… fun fact: if you have a USB keyboard attached, you can just press PrtSc :).

EDIT: Browsing this forum in Firefox, and repeatedly scrolling the picture-heavy thread with all these screenshots up and down by waving the airmote, did peg my CPU usage at 1296 MHz. It went back down to 408 MHz when I stopped actively doing things though. I think that is correct behavior.

3 Likes

I also don’t do any image corrections, but just noticed 3 of those pictures had a cpu usage of only 7%,
Now I have never seen it that low, it always hovers around the 27 to 29% mark on the home screen with no apps selected normal brightness setting, and what exactly does the hacker keyboard do? lastly how did you take what seem like a screenshot of the ppm?

2 Likes

The keyboard can be downloaded and installed like any other app. You can use it instead of the default keyboard. It adds extra keys that may be useful when typing some programming-related things.

I used a USB keyboard for the screenshots. It has a physical Print Screen button. I have tried to find a way to do it with the airmote or built-in keys, but I have not found the correct combination yet (if one exists).

EDIT: Sample picture with the extra keys.

2 Likes

Interesting, I too have tried to do screenshots with the remote and failed , so where is the screenshot saved since there isn’t a gallery app? And the screenshots of this web page is that from screen mirroring or done through a web browser on the PPM?

1 Like

I installed the phone/touchpad version of the Firefox app. I did not find the TV-version suitable for me.

The screenshots can be accessed through the gallery app or some other file selection app, in the Screenshots folder.

3 Likes

Great thanks a lot for the tips so far, anyway to select photos from the gallery and use them to change wallpapers? I’ll try and experiment with them tomorrow it’s getting a bit late here.

1 Like

You could test uploading two versions of the image (one blurred) in PNG format to the “0” folder, overwriting the existing background image files there. I have not tested it myself though, and have to leave for a meeting now.

When I test, I think some freeze-frame images from the “glitter” video could make fun background images.

3 Likes

Excellent stuff guys, the geek in me approves!
:nerd_face: :+1:t4:

@Addo @ThunderStrk @franzli: how come you guys aren’t beta testers yet? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I sent a request via the form just after I got the PPM and could enter a valid serial number, but I have not seen a response yet.

I also have mine stuck at 1296

When I 1st got the PPM I considered all of us to be beta testers already, in a way we still are before it goes full retail, so signing up would be like alpha testing, but curiosity got me and eventually did sign up
and like others haven’t heard anything since.

Just checked mine. Always at 1296MHz too. Even I don’t do anything, the CPU usage is at least 20%++. Never seen 7% before.

Now I am very interested to know how to get that variable clock speed.

1 Like

@IvoGrijt any comment on this ?

I haven’t had a chance to test my unit, so I can’t confirm nor deny your findings.

I double-checked yesterday and noticed that this time I actually had variable CPU speeds. Not really sure what (if anything) happened in the meantime or if there just happened to be some heavy background process I wasn’t aware of the first time I checked.
Now, I did get down to 7% CPU usage an clock speed of down to 408 MHz changing according to CPU usage. (In an only slightly related observation, it was interesting to note how in Kodi CPU usage really goes up to close to 100% just by having the menu open, nothing playing.)

1 Like

Haha, well, mostly due to not having the time to feel yet more pressured to tinker around than I already do :wink:

Also, I’m mostly happy with the functionality of the PPM except for some specific issues. Of those, Miracast would be the one I think screeneo could do the most about - so if there was some work going into that, I’d probably consider signing up as a beta tester to feedback on that feature.

1 Like

how is this even possible i have never been under 28% cpu and its always constant core speed 1296

how did you see this diffrent app?

could you have someone @ phillips tech team to comment here about this ?

No, I’m not using a different app if that’s what you were asking. It’s the same overlay from the special menu. As I said, no idea what changed from the last time I checked this. Also not sure if it makes any difference in practice, although I understand that it’s nicer not to feel like the poor thing is running full speed all the time when it doesn’t need to (and who knows, maybe there are some practical implications?)