Working Apps List discussion, feeds the Working Apps List

Does PPM have a built-in microphone? Where is it located?

AFAIK it does not. Nor does it have a camera. But you don’t need either for participating in a videoconference call, if all you want to do is display the meeting and not be seen or heard yourself.

1 Like

Or you plug a C920 in the usb port, and you have both a microphone (or two) and a camera.

1 Like

I was under the impression that the PPM uses a camera (below the lens) to perform the autofocus. Not sure if that camera can be used by an app, though…

Which app is that? :-o

1 Like

Rather then posting this in the “Working Apps” thread I thought it deserved it’s own topic.

For me, the PPM will be used primarily outdoors, away from internet, so the ability to store and playback files from the onboard storage is critical, but, I didn’t want to be navigating to movies through the file structure in XPlore or using the basic UI in the “Media Player” app.

So…

I found this app:

It works AMAZINGLY well, auto scrapes info and fanart etc, sorts into years, genres etc etc, very Plex like

I did find that playing ANY movie using the Nova video player dropped frames and was unwatchable, but, there is a setting to “Open with external player” and you can chose to open videos with MXPlayer, and if you select “Always” it will automatically open every file in MXPlayer, seamlessly.

Audio is in sync over BT, its just great!

So with my 128G micro SD card installed, I have a fully independent entertainment machine…LOVE IT!

8 Likes

Wow thanks that’s a really good find. I too am in the process of loading all my movies in to the sd card,
just gave it a try worked great, every movie was assigned in to the right place genre etc even the posters are a perfect match no matter where the files came from brilliant, I’m going to go through the settings and see if the playback can be improved cause the player offers a few extras such as audio boost which I like, other players default volume even on maximum seem too low, which I need to turn my speakers right up.

100% agree, the volume out over BT has been too low. I am using a JBL BoomBox which is insanely loud but often we can bearly hear the audio from the PPM… that might also be because we have been hosting Movie nights in the orchard…take a bit of oomff to fill 153acres!!

Thanks, I’ll try it out. I’ve just put a 128GB card in my Pico too. Glad someone else is enjoying how it’s supposed to be enjoyed! Will have an outdoor movie with the neighbours at the weekend, now it’s safe to do so. (According to the WA govt.)

Not to rain on your parade (I’ll check this app out later today), but doesn’t Kodi do all this also? It also plays the content natively without needing external players.

But Kodi doesn’t work very well on the PPM, right? At least not yet, there seems to be some potential light in the tunnel if I read the last messages of this thread correctly: Kodi Rockchip issues with PicoPix Max

I assumed Kodi was like Plex and required a media server. Anyway, I don’t have Kodi installed, so Nova will do. I’ll have a look and see what Kodi can do…

1 Like

In my experience and setup Kodi works just fine. They’re working on improving the performance but for me personally it does everything I need it to do, in one app.

1 Like

the only thing with kodi you have to install 3rd party addons, it’s better to find a pre installed build

3rd party add-ons for what exactly?

for movies & tv shows etc…

Isn’t that included as standard in Kodi? I don’t recall installing anything for that… :thinking:

I have only played around with it on my pc when it was XBMC, and the interface wasn’t as clean in fact it was a mess, and was fine to use on a pc but definitely not for a TV set up like this, maybe I’ll check out KODI now and see the changes

1 Like

@IvoGrijt Kodi can be used in different ways. Standard use is playing your own content stored locally or a netwerk shared drive. Kodi will even put some structure in your media and add extra’s such as fan art, short description, category, …
One step further, you can add a lot of functionality to Kodi by installing addons. This is a huge list of applications which will enrich your Kodi experience. Going from new look and feel, to adding subtitles, backup capabilities up to adding streaming services.
These streaming services can be from official TV channels, but also offering (illegal) access to movies and TV series.

2 Likes

I just gave Kodi a try if that is the standard way of use then this Nova player is much more user friendly , once the source is selected from the sd card the whole library is complied automatically, it’;s nice neat and clean, Kodi you need to add each one individually it seems and a lot of fiddling around in to folders and drives, a lot more steps are involved, think it’s more powerful with more feature with all the add ons but if you just want a clean quick way to access your internal library in one place this Nova player is winning for me hands down,
Oh and even the internal player is working just fine for me, no dropped frames playing multiple MKV files, able to select different language audio tracks with ease, accessing the menu while paused during playback , overall use with the remote for navigation without the need to resorting to the mouse at all,
so far it’s about the perfect app, should really have been included as a built in app I think, no complaints so far, super happy about it.

2 Likes