Working external battery pack?

Yep, then you’re golden. It’s far from pure sinewave output (it’s tri-level square wave) but my Canon chargers and the old MacBook charger operates just fine on my 110V unit.

This concerns me:
You have no idea how deep the USB-C spec rabbit hole goes - The Verge1rppsj9

Is this why so few USB-C Pico projectors exist? Manufactures don’t have the confidence in the USB C implementation therefore just stear clear?

Eh, that’s a pretty outdated article from when USB-C was still up and coming. It’s more widespread these days, what with Apple switching iPads over, many other laptops and Androids making the jump, and lots of headphone and peripheral companies releasing USB-C oriented accessories. Nowadays it’s much safer to just plug in a USB-C charger to your device. The early days were a more dangerous time for sure.

1 Like

This is a very reliable comprehensive list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml
I personally own the Nekteck (perfect combination of price, quality and compatibility)

I don’t want to drift the topic from its original ask.
So again, @Philips_Support_P,
Can you please reply to my questions above whenever possible?

Yes out dated Article, but it linked to the current Google sheet @hari_dave posted, and the problems still exist It seems. Even we’ll established brands are not getting it right.

I just backed this campaign for a 150w powerbank for 139$ (Early bird) :

It will be cool for my MBA, iPhone, iPad, other stuff… and PPM !

How long does a fully charged PPM and fully charged powerbank lasts? have you tested?

1 Like

I bought this Xiaomi 45W PD powerbank back when Philips said 45W was the amount needed… I just hope it will charges something anyway…
Xiaomi Mi Power Bank 3 Review | Switch Chargers
(2019 NEW Xiaomi mi Power Bank 20000mAh 3 USB C 45W Three Ports Output PD Quick Charger Powerbank Xiaomi 2C External Battery Pack|20000 mah powerbank|mah powerbank20000mah power - AliExpress)

I think you’ll be ok. I’ve been primarily using a 45W charger with PicoPix Max and it seems to be enough to run the projector normally, and charge it overnight. However, it probably does not allow for charging the projector battery while the projector is running. Hard to tell.

1 Like

Good to know that it is working with some chargers. But here is what I am talking about. See the 2 videos and photo attached.

Video1:(PPM Charger) Video showing PPM running while connected to charger provided by Philips. You will notice the Red light on PPM indicating it is charging. You can also notice the charging icon next battery on the screen (top right)

Video2:(ExternalBattery) Video showing PPM running when connected to my RavPower through USB C. I see the light on PPM showing it is blue which means it is on. And also NO charging icon appears on top right of screen indicating it may not be charging.

Photo showing spec comparison on PPM charger and my external battery. Both indicate they support 5V/3A

It seems I will just wait for Philips to release the ‘remaining battery %’ in one of their releases soon. That will be my best measure to check that it is charging simultaneously while I am watching something on PPM.

So, I’m pretty convinced PPM only accepts 15V power. Chargers that don’t offer 15V (like the 20V Macbook chargers, 9V phone-oriented chargers, your 5V battery) all seem to be unacceptable to PPM.
Seems like that battery just won’t work at all.

And yea the LED colors are misleading. Red means “charging”, sure. Blue can mean EITHER “fully charged” OR “powered on, no charger”. It’s pretty messy.
Please give us more on-screen power info!!

PS: I think I have confirmed that my 45W @ 15V wall charger - LESS than the official 65W - charges PicoPix Max while running in Eco mode. I discharged the projector a bit then ran it with the 45W source connected, and the LED turned from red to blue after about half an hour.

4 Likes

That makes sense. I guess I will wait for few more confirmations and probably will buy the charger accordingly.

@Philips_Support_P can you confirm this? Is only 15v accepted, not 20v?

2 Likes

PPX arrived, although tracking still says it’s in CGN. Updating firmware. First bad news: it doesn’t charge or take any power from the sherpa 100, nor from a 60W USB PD AUKEY wall adapter.

[edit: turns out it could be my sherpa being defective]

1 Like

ok, I don’t understand that. I’m all out of ideas unless this is some sort of inconsistent fault. @wernerj believes there’s a self-inflicted PD incompatibility but he won’t be able to debug until he gets his projector.

1 Like

Also while it would be great for @wernerj to test and confirm the results, it would be best if @Philips_Support_P could confirm below two:

1. What specs works for external battery when connected to USB-C (if possible share some portable battery they tested with)
  2. What specs for external charger works with PPM (other than the one provided by Philips). Again if possible share some samples they tested with.
2 Likes

I hope that @Philips_Support_P can indeed clarify this:)

I have the ZMI powerbank that works with the PPM, as mentioned by @kugiigi.

I also bought an alternate wall charger that works, using the 60W PD port.
USB C Wall Charger 4-Port, with 60W & 18W USB C PD Power Delivery Adapter and 2 USB A Ports (12W) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8H3NB1/

Looking at the question on different voltages, both 15V and 20V exist for both the above powerbank and wall charger. Not sure if that really makes any difference.

I asked him the same thing, but I believe this behavior may very well be hidden in a system delivered from a supplier which might mean that the exact PD policy hasn’t been decided/approved by Screeneo themselves. The PD sink solutions I’ve encountered have all required a PD policy to be flashed some time during production. What I don’t get is why the PPM isn’t negotiating a 20V contract. As has been quoted earlier, as soon as your power exceeds 45W you are supposed to move to 20V (officially 15V should top out at 45W). There has been optionality supporting 15V at 4A but that’s been actively discouraged (and it requires an active, e-marked, cable as the current is >3A). It does sound like the adapter shipped with the PPM supports this mode though. None of the MacBook chargers will do >45W unless you are at 20V. I hope this is just a PD policy issue on the PPM side and not a hardware limitation of the LiPo charger being unable to accept a 20V input (+ an additional 5%).

Definitely something that will need to be addressed.