Amazon Prime Videos wouldn't play

What settings do you have?

Streaming quality is set to the highest level (the German version calls it “optimal”). And normally, I actually also get FullHD-resolution, so the quality is not bad before the stuttering starts.

1 Like

The updated firmware still has same problem with amazon prime

Which problem do you mean exactly, and which version firmware are you talking about exactly?

I like this version of the app much better, for those that are having problems I suggest to give this a go

Prime Video - Android TV 5.2.13-googleplay-armv7a Download Android APK | Aptoide

MODERATOR EDIT:
DISCLAIMER- This is the Android TV version, which may or may not depend on / require features only available in Android TV.

2 Likes

I’ve never had issues with Amazon Prime that I can recall. But perhaps the issues some see come from (data left behind by) a failed install, and firmware updates usually preserve your apps and data. So perhaps those with issues that installing the latest update doesn’t solve should uninstall theirs first, starting by using the hidden Android menu’s Apps section to clear the application’s data and then uninstalling it from the same interface, followed by running the system optimizer from the Settings Menu.

Then install the latest version of the Android version (not Android TV version) from either Aptoide Store (on your PPX or Download Amazon Prime Video | Aptoide) or APKPure store (installable on your PPX as an app or Download Amazon Prime Video latest 3.0.272.14347 Android APK)

Interesting @IvoGrijt just wondering what type of risks there may be, worst off the app doesn’t work and I delete it, or is there anything else I should know of, because so far I haven’t came across any issues and it now ranks as one of my favourite apps, because I did also ask and suggest in the other amazon quality thread, and if there are risks you might want to put a disclaimer there too.

1 Like

I know, the word risk is heavy, but I could not come up with a better way of wording it.
“Use at your own peril” and “Use at your own demise” sounded much worse! :rofl:

I just know that we are not running Android TV on the PPX, and while it might all work now, it might still cause the app to fail in the future. An informed user that has seen this disclaimer and still wants to “risk” it is by all means free to do so, as long as they knew what they were doing.

Also I seem to recall someone having issues after they installed the Android TV version of the app, and having solved the issues after uninstalling it and installing the regular Android version instead (I might have even tried it out myself to similar results, can’t remember right now).

1 Like

That’s a relief, anyway try it out and see the difference maybe the updated version worked now and didn’t before? to me the streaming quality is much better on the android tv version and much easier to navigate, only downside is I don’t think you can download shows or movies, by the way this version 3.0.272.9157 also states google services is required in the aptoide store

1 Like

I have apps that even say that when you’re using them, with the dialog box appearing right in front of the working app behind it! :rofl: I just click the warning away and enjoy the app.

So I personally ignore those warnings until I actually see it not working indeed.

When I get my 2nd PPX I’ll test both versions side by side to see which works better.

2 Likes

I actually have both apps installed and tried playing the same movie on both apps, also had the same movie on my SD card, the android TV app was noticeably more clearer and detailed and was close to what’s on my SD card

2 Likes

Same streaming settings for both apps? :thinking:
If so, interesting…

On the Android TV app I can’t change video quality settings, in fact not much can be done in settings so it’s just left on what default is, maybe it self adjusts based on network speed?
On the other app I had it at best.

1 Like

I’ve also gone over to using the Amazon Prime app for Android TV. I find the navigation a bit limited du to the more restricted options mentioned by @ThunderStrk and because it won’t take any input from an attached keyboard, so you have to do the single letter selection dance any time you want to input anything (even username and password), which I find annoying. But I can see what @ThunderStrk means with easier navigation, moving around just using the remote control it is indeed a bit easier than on the other app or on netflix - although adding series to your watch list seems to require the mouse again, since the “green” (?) button required to do that exists on TV remote controls, but not on ours. :wink:

I do occasionally get the weird issue with the app not playing content claiming that something is wrong with the HDMI-input, but then I just select the same thing again and it usually works.

Main reason I’m sticking to the TV app now is that I don’t have any issues with stuttering playback and quality loss that I still get on the regular app. I’ll check the regular app occasionally for improvements, as I’d actually like to use that app. But when I checked this weekend with the latest version, playback was choppy right from the beginning and then dropped to something like SD resolution.

2 Likes

Have you tried changing the interface of the TV app?

Since that’s about the only thing which requires the mouse I find the TV app a lot easier as the regular app needs it for just about everything,

That’s the only bug that I have came across as well but not a big deal just like you a second attempt gets it going

For me the playback on the regular app was never choppy, it was always smooth but always on SD resolution as you said or 720p at best,

So far the only advantage I see with the regular app is the ability to download for offline playback, although it’s a feature I don’t mind having but it’s not crucial at all, plus what resolution will it download at? I haven’t tried it so others might want to fill in, but I rather not download a lower resolution of any video unless that’s the only available source and there are no other choice, and overall I really think this Tv app should be promoted more than the regular app as I feel it will give users a better experience not just with the app but for the PPM it self, or promoted here as an alternative at least.

1 Like

You can set the download quality (and perhaps also the resolution with it):

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by this and for which app? as in Tv interface of tablet interface?

1 Like

Yep, that’s exactly what I meant.

I’ll have another look, but I do remember at least selecting best for streaming quality, if download quality can be 1080p then both apps are worth keeping and used for different purposes