App help - Google play services

For the moment, there is NO projector on the market that get both Android TV + Netflix full certification. Also, we said many times that the GMS certification was no possible on a projector. Unfortunately Google refuses for all brands.
The only way we have is to get Android AOSP with Neftlix Full HD.

We do not have full Netflix integration. So there’s no point in our OS.

What does full Netflix integration mean?

Ask Nono as he states “NO projector on the market that get both Android TV + Netflix full certification”. Well guess what, our projector does not have Android TV nor does it have full Netflix integration.

To me full Netflix integration is using the native app that can be updated constantly. Doesn’t crash, doesn’t rely on hacks. You know, like on whitelisted devices.

Look let’s not beat behind the bush here. The projector itself is good. The OS is lacking big time. Excuses about the chipset or Netflix as reason to not offer Android TV are just excuses. I’m sure there’s a cost related to it that Screeneo does not want to incur.

Furthermore, the fact that you unlisted this thread shows how pathetic the support in here really is. You are censoring users issues. It’s a crime unlisting this thread I’m sure there are tons of them unlisted when you begin looking bad.

This is my first ScreenNeo purchase and absolutely my last.

What’s funny too, mine came with scratched plastic protection and no setting up. I plugged it in and it went straight to the home screen, it looks like you are meant to have a set up process where you do date an time etc… I had to go through the internal settings to do it

1 Like

That’s because the Easy Setup app isn’t available yet.

I agree it’s a shame that this feature hasn’t yet made it into the shipping firmware, especially since it did make it into the quick start guide.

Regarding the external appearance of your PPM: that’s not right, I would recommend you to take some well-focused (on the surface of the PPM) pictures and lodge a claim with support@screeneo.com
I don’t know if it will be honored, as even monitor or TV manufacturers have a minimum dead-pixel count for instance, but at least you could try, it all depends on how bad it is I guess.

(Remember I do not work for them so these are my thoughts and mine only)

Update: I re-read your post after Prashant replied, and realized you were talking about the plastic protection, not the projector itself. After having a good look at the photos you posted I also realized the same. The protection film is indeed there to protect, and is the first thing to be discarded once put in use.

@Krjstian_Domovina,

Netflix official response was that they’re not interested in whitelisting a device model if it sells less than 500k-1M units/year of a single model. PicoPix Max is 14k units so they said no.

What resources would you have put to change this? We will seriously hire you to solve this problem for us and our 14k customers, can you tell me more?

From our side we pushed Google’s Widevine team and patched Netflix app to still support Full HD playback.

Google’s Android team gave no official reason because they never got back to us in the past ~2 years. Even if they had licensed out Android TV to us, it would have prevented us from finding a solution for Netflix. The campaign has always clearly said it’s “custom Android.”

These are the facts and you’re still wrong about them. I’m sorry.

2 Likes

It’s because the Bluetooth 5 chip is still not as stable as the more mature BT4 chip. At the moment BT pairing causes a hard crash when done from outside the system settings app. The engineers are working on a solution.

1 Like

Hi @Krjstian_Domovina that is its function. It’s there to take scratches and protect your PicoPix Max.

1 Like

Hi @Simoesj I understand. Please let me know what you think is the real reason and how we can solve it.

THERE ISN’T.

If you know a way to pay money to solve this problem, PLEASE LET US KNOW.

I didn’t unlist it, another staff member did, but I stand by that decision since I’ve posted some confidential business negotiation details involving third parties. We cannot have that publicly available online.

I’m amazed and quite sad at this thread to be honest.

1 Like

I remember there was a technical reason but couldn’t remember what it was, thanks for clarifying. Like I said, a shame, not on Screeneo in my view but in general.

I fully understand this, and I’m grateful that you share the information with us as backers though.

Prashant, you tell me. Which is the real issue? Is it the Netflix or is the chipset?

Look I do not want you to take personal offense here but from a customer’s perspective having a proper Android TV UI is greatly beneficial vs a tablet/phone UI on a big screen.

There are devices with the exact same chipset that have Android TV and these are cheap Chinese boxes with custom ROMs made in someone’s house. Are you telling me that a proper Android developer would not be unable to run Android TV on this device? You and I know both know that’s not true.

1 Like

You are honestly moronic. I tell you what, in all my time in buying a product I have never once opened a sealed box and had scratches all over the packaging like it was second hand. WTF kind of operation do you run where a projector of all things exposed to damage on the protection prior to it being sealed in the box. The protection is for me! Not for you to treat the projector you are selling a customer like shit.

You Prashant are showing exactly the F’s given by Philips when selling this projector. When you cant even package a product without scratching and are able to make up an excuse for why a projector in a sealed box has damaged internal protection there is big issues. I’m glad everyone can read this stuff.

I’ll be going to reddit soon and other platforms so nobody else buys this hunk of junk.

Nah man, it’s impossible. We are just a multi million dollar company selling you a product that we lied about. You tell me how to fix it like everything else

@Simoesj, it is not a technical problem. You need Google’s certification and approval to make Android TV firmware for a chipset. Furthermore, there is no official Android TV support from the SoC vendor for this chipset. I know you mean the Pine64, but it does not have official ATV firmware. It is not possible to release a commercial product without vendor support.

To recap:

1. Can’t have Android TV because Google won’t respond.
  2. Can’t have Android 9 with Google Services because without a touch screen you can’t pass GMS test suite (+Google won’t respond to negotiate an exception).
  3. Can’t have Netflix because they have declined.
  4. Even if we got Android TV, there is no Netflix patch for Android TV, so you would gain Android TV but lose Full HD Netflix.

Why do you not believe this? If it was a simple matter of costs, we would have paid it and passed it on to consumers. Why go through this endless argument?

3 Likes

Hi @Krjstian_Domovina I am going to silence you for 2 days on account of the unacceptable language.

You are Phillips, not a random company that made 14,000 projectors.

I can go buy a $60 media box from Target with Netflix inbuilt and a control with the Netflix button. Are you telling me this no name company managed to do what Philips couldn’t?

Prashant it’s not about not believing you. It’s about over promising and under delivering. We were promised a projector that can run Android Apps standalone without the needs for anything else.

I use Emby to stream shows locally and TVIMate to stream TV. Neither of them work well. Not sure if it’s poor OS optimization or the chipset itself but this device can not handle 4k and struggles with 1080p.

The Aptoide market is difficult to use and very hacky, again not what I was expecting when the product was advertised. I have bought a 70$ Android TV device that solved all of my issues and the projector as a projector is great. As an all in one solution it is not.

There’s no need to go back and forward but you can not tell me that OS wise you are truly satisfied here. We can not play 4k and there’s TONs of audio codecs not supported.

My believe is that with Android TV built in we can resolve the majority of users complains. Again I do not have Netflix, do not care about Netflix.

1 Like

Yes, they sell >1 M of those per year, and we already work with them for our larger projectors as a package bundle. PicoPix Max doesn’t have the space for it, Netflix doesn’t allow it to be completely embedded, and we cannot customise anything on it (it will come with the 3rd party branded software).

1 Like