Bluetooth issue when remote and sound bar are connected

Thanks for your help mate

Depending on the phone model, the phone hotspot WiFi might likely also use the 2.4GHz band. So you canā€™t really use that to narrow down the problem, unless of course you have a phone model where you can choose between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Edit, to clarify things further: a phone hotspot creates a WiFi network around the phone, so from the projectorā€™s point of view itā€™s no different from using an ordinary wifi router. The only way to check if the problem stems from a too crowded 2.4GHz band is to use a 5GHz only wifi network.

1 Like

Ah - true that.
In that case Jeremy is better bringing the PPM unit closer to within his 5ghz range for better troubleshooting

1 Like

Having this issue with both Bose Quietcomfort 35 II and a Marley chant mini speaker. Iā€™m also connecting exclusively to 5ghz, though I am in a very cluttered wifi environment that has many 2.4ghz networks around. Removing the remote battery immediately fixes it.

So in my case, 5ghz doesnā€™t seem to helpā€¦

2 Likes

Your experience would suggest that the AirRemote has a strong transmitter.

It would also seem that having the airmote paired also slows down my 5ghz wifi. Plex streaming from a local server over wifi has been giving me issues lately, and pulling the batteries also seems to have helped as it is now working great, though I havenā€™t done enough testing yet to be sure if this is the cause. Seems plausible though.

1 Like

Test it please and let us know.

After trying it a few more times, there is definitely a correlation between having the airmote paired and choppy local playback on Plex.

As soon as I pop the batteries in, the playback begins to stutter and buffer, in addition to Bluetooth playback stuttering. It seems the whole wifi and Bluetooth chip is affected?

All your playback and measuring is done on the PPM?
What happens if you turn off the PPM and try to move files to and from a laptop for instance? Or if you run a bandwidth test on your WiFi connected phone and put the batteries in while doing this?

Iā€™d like to know whether itā€™s affecting only the PPM or also any other 5GHz WiFi using devices.

OK, so I ran some basic bandwidth tests using iperf3 and its iPhone app.

First, my setup: Iā€™m currently living semi austere in isolation, away from my usual home setup. I only have access to very restrictive public wifi, and I use my laptop as a wireless repeater to create my own local network across which I can stream media to my PPX and iPhone / iPad. Windows hotspot is set up to hotspot over 5ghz only.

With the remote off while playing downloaded content on the PPX with the Bluetooth speaker on, Iperf averaged from 22-26mbps across the local network (not the internet). With the remote and Bluetooth speaker on (and with significant stutter on the speaker), it was 18-20, so not a significant difference but outside the margin of error. I ran 3 x 30s tests each. What isnā€™t tested here is the PPXā€™s bandwidth to the server in both instances, unfortunately I could not get the android app working on the PPX.

Iā€™m surprised the bandwidth is that high, as Plex has struggled to locally stream 8mbps movies. Subjectively, it struggled much more with the remote on. I really wish I could find a way to test the PPXā€™s bandwidth, I suspect it would be considerably lower.

Do you have any suggestions for a way to test on the PPX?

1 Like

Have you tested using any of the public web browser-based speed tests?

In another thread, https://fast.com/ was suggested. When I tested that site on my WiFi-connected Android phone, I got a value that is noticeably lower than I pay for and normally see on my computer. The phoneā€™s CPU was highly loaded during the test, to the point where I got a ā€œChrome is not responding, wait or close?ā€ popup from Android. The site might work better for you, but for me, on my phone, it appeared to be limited by my CPU rather than my connection.

When I tried others of the top results from searching ā€œtest download speed in browserā€ (without quotes), http://openspeedtest.com showed values closer to what I normally see on my computer.

I usually try to use a test hosted at servers local to my country, to test only my connection rather than any possible Internet congestion between countries. The one I normally use is Bredbandskollen but they might be less accurate if you are not living in Sweden. Check if there is a public utility providing similar service where you are.

1 Like

You could try to use Speedtest Speedtest by Ookla 4.5.9 Download Android APK | Aptoide

Or this one (which I havenā€™t tested yet on my PPM, wil try it out later) that I use on my iPhone and is good at giving local results: FRITZ!App WLAN Basic 2.7.2 Download Android APK | Aptoide

Itā€™s not internet speed that Iā€™m referring to, itā€™s local network (LAN) speed. Any of those tests would be limited by internet speed, which where I currently am is extremely slow. Plex streams locally stored content from a server on my laptop to my PPX over the LAN, rather than the internet. So far I havenā€™t found a utility that can Speedtest the local LAN on the PPXā€¦

I understood as much, but like you said, there arenā€™t many apps to test LAN speeds. The one for the Fritz does that, but I havenā€™t tested it on the PPM yet.

FYI a possible fix for this issue is currently in testing.

4 Likes

Despite the update, I still have the same issue with my headsetā€¦ Itā€™s stuttering a lotā€¦ No way to use itā€¦ Any idea about what to do ? Again itā€™s only the first headset connected with the picopix. The others are fine.

@Jeremy_Moute the two solutions are:

1. Use a 5GHz wireless network.
  2. Remove the batteries from the remote.
1 Like
  1. I donā€™t have access to 5ghz.
  2. It works by removing batteries, thanks. Does it mean the problem is still not fixed ?

Hello @Jeremy_Moute, the Bluetooth and 2.4GHz WiFi both share one antenna. Normally this isnā€™t a problem but the newer Bluetooth 5 chip is a bit unstable. The AirMote causes even more interference. The chip module supplier has been supporting us in improving WiFi-and-Bluetooth coexistence for several months, including the v1.1.0 update. But the only proper solution is to separate WiFi and BT to two different antennas. Or to take out the AirMote from the equation so that thereā€™s only 2 devices (your speakers, and your WiFi).

3 Likes

Thanks, but why only the first device paired has the problem ?

1 Like